Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, 9977 Mi, 2014 Lexus GS350, TAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Lexus GS 350 with 2GR-FSE engine (3.5 liter V6). Purchased this car with 13654 miles (CPO). At 20081 miles, changed the oil to Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20. The oil was used approximately 9 months. I used a Toyota/Lexus oil filter. I took this sample at 30058 miles during the latest oil change (also M1 EP 0w-20).

The car is driven approximately 80% hwy, 20% city. Work commute is 19 miles, one way.

Blackstone Comments:
This is a nice first sample from your Lexus, so don't let the highlighted iron scare you. Universal averages show typical wear for this type of Toyota engine after ~6,300 miles of oil use. Iron tracks with oil use, so most of it in your sample is simply from the longer oil run. It should really be closer to 19 ppm, so we left it marked at 25 ppm, but really, we're splitting hairs here. Some extra iron maybe normal for your engine and the use it sees, which is fine. The trace of fuel is harmless and the TBN was good at 2.2. The 4.0 TAN shows mild acidity. Pretty good report!

Html:
MAKE/MODEL: Toyota 3.5L V-6 (2GR-FSE) OIL TYPE & GRADE: Mobil 1 0W/20 EP

FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded) OIL USE INTERVAL: 9,977 Miles

MI/HR on Oil 9977

MI/HR on Unit 30058

Sample Date 3/2/2016

Make Up Oil Added 0 quarts

Universal Averages

ALUMINUM 5 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 25 12

COPPER 5 6

LEAD 0 1

TIN 2 1

MOLYBDENUM 80 89

NICKEL 1 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 1

POTASSIUM 3 2

BORON 43 42

SILICON 20 18

SODIUM 5 51

CALCIUM 1252 2121

MAGNESIUM 660 162

PHOSPHORUS 608 670

ZINC 735 800

BARIUM 0 0

Values Should Be

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 50.4 46-57

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.40 6.0-9.7

Flashpoint in °F 385 >385

Fuel % TR 2.0

Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.4
TBN 2.2 >1.0

TAN 4.0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Good #'s for a 10k run with no make up oil. Do those engines still hold 6.5 qts?

I believe so, sister has a '11 RX350, it takes 6qts plus a bit. So does the '08 Sienna 3.5L

14% drop in KV100, and nearly 60F drop in flashpoint, and they report only a trace of fuel ???

Tan is higher than the TBN. I thought the best time to change oil was round about where the two crossed.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Tan is higher than the TBN. I thought the best time to change oil was round about where the two crossed.

I thought this applied to diesel UOAs only. Anyway, the TAN looks a bit on the high side. High sulphur gasoline may have caused this. If so it would make sense to look for a better gas station.

Not sure I see the point. EP should be good for 15K miles. If you were running less than 10K why not save a few bucks and buy AFE?

So much waste represented on this forum!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Not sure I see the point. EP should be good for 15K miles. If you were running less than 10K why not save a few bucks and buy AFE?

So much waste represented on this forum!

Seriously. When I purchased the oil last year the cost difference between EP and AFE was around $5 for the 6.5 quarts of oil. An extra $5 over 10,000 miles isn't going to break my bank account. Also, the service interval for the car is 10,000 miles. With the car currently under warranty, I'll stick with the recommended service interval.

Originally Posted By: Ded Mazai

I thought this applied to diesel UOAs only. Anyway, the TAN looks a bit on the high side. High sulphur gasoline may have caused this. If so it would make sense to look for a better gas station.

I believe the virgin TAN of M1 AFE 0W-20 is 2.8 I wouldn't be surprised if M1 EP 0W-20 is a little bit higher because of it's higher PAO content. Even if it is 2.8 going up to 4.0 after about 10,000 miles is reasonable.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
14% drop in KV100, and nearly 60F drop in flashpoint, and they report only a trace of fuel ???

That is odd.

That's the one issue I have with 20 grade oils and why endurance racing uses higher viscosity oils - fuel dilution.

Not a bad report overall but I'd stop at 10k.

Thanks for all of the replies. Considering that TBN is 2.2, and that the flashpoint & viscosity values are reduced due to possible DI fuel dilution, should I reduce the OCI to 7500 miles, or is a 10000 mile OCI still OK?

+1.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
Originally Posted By: Ded Mazai

I believe the virgin TAN of M1 AFE 0W-20 is 2.8 I wouldn't be surprised if M1 EP 0W-20 is a little bit higher because of it's higher PAO content. Even if it is 2.8 going up to 4.0 after about 10,000 miles is reasonable.

This is correct. The TAN start out fairly "high" plus the increase is very small compared to the virgin number, so the traditional rule of needing an oil change when the two cross over....does not necessarily apply.

Originally Posted By: tam92
Thanks for all of the replies. Considering that TBN is 2.2, and that the flashpoint & viscosity values are reduced due to possible DI fuel dilution, should I reduce the OCI to 7500 miles, or is a 10000 mile OCI still OK?

I'd do exactly the same again if it were mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back