Honda S2000 90k miles; 1k Miles on Penrite Racing 10w40

Thanks for posting. I run penrite racing 10w40 In my evo. We’ve probably been to the same track days over the last couple of years (Melb). I was considering trying Nulon racing 5w40. Where are you getting your oil analysis done?

No problem! The Nulon Racing 5w40 looks like an incredible oil - Bang for buck I think its hard to beat Penrite though (e.g picked up 20L for $45/5L).

I actually order my UOAs through Nulon and they send them through to a lab in NSW.

Hello all,

The latest iteration of my S2000's UOA journey is attached. This was running Redline 5w40 with (almost) exclusively track use. I also note that compared to other UOAs, I drove the car much harder - and on semi slicks.

Pretty pleased with the results, Being picky, I'd like to get the lead and silicone down. I will try a new OEM air filter and remove my K&N (oiled) oem replacement.

IMG_20220601_172416.jpg

Hello all,

The latest iteration of my S2000's UOA journey is attached. This was running Redline 5w40 with (almost) exclusively track use. I also note that compared to other UOAs, I drove the car much harder - and on semi slicks.

Pretty pleased with the results, Being picky, I'd like to get the lead and silicone down. I will try a new OEM air filter and remove my K&N (oiled) oem replacement.

View attachment 102276
Stay away from the Krap and Nasty filters. Always high SI.

Reactions: a5m
Hello again,

Not many miles (km) on this latest UOA - 924km (mostly track km) and the oil sitting in the pan for about 9 months. Wanted to change early to see if the lead level would come down (which it has). There are some posts out there that mention that redline could 'leach' metals from the engine - I don't really understand this and I am not too sure. The other metals look good. (The previous UOA is also included below) EDIT: the previous run is with redline 10w30.

I may skip the sample next time around and sample again afterwards to see how that lead level is looking.

For completeness, I added a bottle of Liquimoly Ceratec to Penrite Racing 10w40. There is a crazy amount of Boron and the addition of Moly where there previously was none.

1700792869523.png

If you account for the lead in the residual oil in the engine after the last OCI, the lead would be almost back to the 7 ppm level of the last two UOAs. Probably still quite a bit higher than average for a non-tracked S2000 on longer OCIs, presumably from bearing wear. Do you have any UOA's for other S2000's that are primarily tracked?

You're already using a 10W-40, but your oil might be getting hot enough on track to warrant a thicker grade. Maybe the bearings would be happier with a 15W-50, or you could install an oil cooler to keep oil temperatures down. Your UOAs with the highest lead and tin were both with xW-30 oils, which might mean something.

If you account for the lead in the residual oil in the engine after the last OCI, the lead would be almost back to the 7 ppm level of the last two UOAs. Probably still quite a bit higher than average for a non-tracked S2000 on longer OCIs, presumably from bearing wear. Do you have any UOA's for other S2000's that are primarily tracked?

You're already using a 10W-40, but your oil might be getting hot enough on track to warrant a thicker grade. Maybe the bearings would be happier with a 15W-50, or you could install an oil cooler to keep oil temperatures down. Your UOAs with the highest lead and tin were both with xW-30 oils, which might mean something.
Thanks twx, really appreciate your input.

I'm not sure about a 50wt in the s2000, seen a post on another forum that has spoken about cylinder wall scoring with 50wt oil so perhaps an oil cooler is the way forward.

I would say that cylinder wall scoring is more likely with a wider spread in winter and hot viscosity: if that 50W was actually a 5W-50 I'd expect the base oil to be very thin indeed. 20W-50: not at all thin. oil cooler would help very little with cylinder wall oil temps: they are water cooled on one side and heated by combustion and shear on the other.

I would say that cylinder wall scoring is more likely with a wider spread in winter and hot viscosity: if that 50W was actually a 5W-50 I'd expect the base oil to be very thin indeed. 20W-50: not at all thin. oil cooler would help very little with cylinder wall oil temps: they are water cooled on one side and heated by combustion and shear on the other.
Thats interesting. Are you saying a 10/15w 40 or 50 would be ideal in that case? and that a 5w40 is thinner at temp than a 15w40 for example

Thats interesting. Are you saying a 10/15w 40 or 50 would be ideal in that case? and that a 5w40 is thinner at temp than a 15w40 for example

A 5W50 is thinner under shear than a 15W40 in most cases, definitely when it's a full synthetic 15w40 like motorcycle oils can be

A 5W-40 will have much lower viscosity at very high shear rates than a 15W-40. Pistons and cams experience these very high shear rates, but your wear metals are probably from the bearings. For bearings, shear rates are lower and there won't be as much of a difference, and the oil's HTHS will provide a good estimate for the viscosity in the bearings.

There is no difference in the minimum HTHS requirement between 10/15W-40 and xW-50 grades. They're both 3.7 cP. For a 5W-40 the minimum HTHS is 3.5 cP. It's important to look at the data sheets for 50 grade oils, because many of them will have lower HTHS than a typical 10/15W-40.

HTHS isn't always published for oils. Mobil 1 15W-50 has a high HTHS at 4.5 cP. Amsoil has some 40-grades with high HTHS as well.

Back