Honda S2000 PCX-004: Cut open

Hi all,
20230215_181739.jpg

Here is my used S2000 filter. (I note this filter has been superseded by the PCX-006)

Approximately 3500km on it with two oil changes which included track time. (Redline 5w40, Redline 10w30)

Looked very clean ... until I spotted 1 MASSIVE fleck of what I suspect is bearing material. I have a UOA result coming for this oil change and note the prior UOA of the first two oil changes showed nothing abnormal. I will update my UOA thread when the result becomes available next week.

I'm keen on thoughts on whether I should inspect the lower rod bearings.

I'm keen on thoughts on whether I should inspect the lower rod bearings.
I would not go through that much trouble at this point . If that metal fleck is the only one in the filter then its probably from something else. If the rod bearings were going I'd think there would be more than one fleck. Could be just a piece of aluminum flashing that came off the block. Sacrifice a filter at 300 miles into the new oil change to see if anything new shows up.

They don't call em Rock catchers for nothing... That fleck of metal would freak me out.

However the filter caught it so no harm done here. Filter media itself looks great and clean!

I would not go through that much trouble at this point . If that metal fleck is the only one in the filter then its probably from something else. If the rod bearings were going I'd think there would be more than one fleck. Could be just a piece of aluminum flashing that came off the block. Sacrifice a filter at 300 miles into the new oil change to see if anything new shows up.
This sounds like a good idea.

I recently did a track day - Might pull the oil filter off this weekend and take a look.

I agree that this is most likely a aluminium cast flash or so wich came loose. No need to worry.
Most wear metals are "Grinded" down to a fine powder. I have a magentic drain plug at my motorcycle. All the wear from the gearbox, engine and clutch looks like some sort of shiny, fine metall powder on the Magnet when i change the oil.

Back