Honda reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Honda product with low mileage. It has been very reliable.

The Accord is their most popular model. I have heard from mechanics that 80's thru late 90's Honda's were more reliable than later model years. Issues related to brakes and automatic transmission are known problem areas starting around the 2000+ models years. I have not seen any quantifiable evidence that newer model years were more problematic.

Here is some evidence that this may be true with some quantifiable evidence at least number of complaints to the NHSTA.

http://m.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/

I think back in the 80's and 90's majority of Honda vehicles were imported from Japan, it seems most vehicles designed/manufactured in Japan were and are more reliable regardless which manufacture, be it Honda or Toyota or Mazda ...

With the exception of a transmission failure, my Accord has been a very reliable car. Besides wear and tear stuff, it's still running on primarily factory parts at 200K. The interior, exterior and undercarriage have held up well over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country tomorrow.

My 2013 Pilot, while nice, has noticeable elements of cost cutting on the part of Honda. Interior awash in hard plastics, carpet stopping halfway under the pedals so you see a bunch of wires everywhere, doors feeling tinny, etc.

Honda and Toyota have been resting on their laurels for many years now. Their cars are middle of the pack and don't offer anything overtly special anymore. All that ended in the late-90's.

My 1996 Accord (4 cyl) is still on the road with 300k+.

My 2008 Accord (4 cyl) was a giant turd. The VTC actuator flaw was never solved to my knowledge.

My 2012 Pilot (6 cyl) was sent a notice to expect problems with the cylinder deactivation module and resulting oil burning. Great news!

Honda dealers seemed happy with their increased profits in the service department.

I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer in the 90's. Flat rate sucks, went back to school and am now a UPS semi mechanic. I have a friend I keep in contact with that still works on Hondas. He says Hondas aren't as reliable like they use to be.

The trans issues seemed to have started with the 6th gen Accord, 1998-2002. Some of the issues with the V6 continued on in the 7th gen Accord, 2003-2007. But the rate dropped esp from 2005-2007.

My 2010 Honda Fit (Made In Japan, Suzuka Plant) has worn like a rock.

I have no complaints other than I have to keep the manual door locks well lubed with grease or I get key sticking issues.

I can see this car lasting 10 years in Montreal with absolute ease.

Our 08 CRV has been reliable thus far. I hope I didn't just jinx myself! My only complaint would be the paint not holding up well.

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
My recollection is that the majority of the early 2000's Honda automatic transmission issues were related to the V6 motor in the Accord and TL.

And Odyssey...

2010 Civic. 85K miles. Third time having to do new pads and rotors up front and now that it's fresh again the steering wheel is shimmying. It would seem brakes were figured out by manufacturer's sometime in the 1960s though Honda has managed to screw it up good.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
2010 Civic. 85K miles. Third time having to do new pads and rotors up front and now that it's fresh again the steering wheel is shimmying. It would seem brakes were figured out by manufacturer's sometime in the 1960s though Honda has managed to screw it up good.

I had the same issue with the rear brakes on an Element requiring new pads and rotors not covered by warranty. I now thoroughly clean and lube all pins and pad slider guides yearly before the winter season. I don't know if this is a solution or not. I haven't had an issue since. Maybe coincidental. I don't have enough confidence not to continue to do this maintenance procedure.

I agree. I said goodbye to Honda last year after owning 11 new ones.
Honda started cutting corners and building to a price. Paint and build quality went down hill and Honda has yet to figure out noise isolation and has yet built a suspension for American roads.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer in the 90's. Flat rate sucks, went back to school and am now a UPS semi mechanic. I have a friend I keep in contact with that still works on Hondas. He says Hondas aren't as reliable like they use to be.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Honda has yet to figure out noise isolation and has yet built a suspension for American roads.

My Pilot is very quiet but my Accord, not so much. I love the ride of older Honda's with DBW suspensions. Composed, secure yet compliant enough to soak up road bumps with ease.

And yet, real world Honda owners report reliability an order of magnitude better than certain other "beloved" brands.

In fact, people can claim that Honda has gone downhill. However the reliability statistics strongly indicate otherwise.

Check out www.truedelta.com for real world, long term reliability information. It's the only place you'll find such accurate info.

For the 2010 model year, the Chevy Equinox has 68 reported repairs, the Honda CRV, 5. (per 100 cars)

Don't tell me Honda is going downhill, the facts don't bear that out.

The information gets even more interesting when you delve into the actual repairs and the cost. Honda has FAR FEWER major repairs.

Last edited:
It's true there's no major repair needed but..... the 10 Civic brakes.... really?! I just don't recall my 81 Civic wagon, my 91 Accord DX, my 98 Civic DX, or my 00 Accord DX having braking issues or any other issues for that matter.

Honda has not been incredibly stellar the last 18 years but there have been a few standouts such as the K24 and F23A.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
And yet, real world Honda owners report reliability an order of magnitude better than certain other "beloved" brands.

In fact, people can claim that Honda has gone downhill. However the reliability statistics strongly indicate otherwise.

Check out www.truedelta.com for real world, long term reliability information. It's the only place you'll find such accurate info.

For the 2010 model year, the Chevy Equinox has 68 reported repairs, the Honda CRV, 5. (per 100 cars)

Don't tell me Honda is going downhill, the facts don't bear that out.

The information gets even more interesting when you delve into the actual repairs and the cost. Honda has FAR FEWER major repairs.

Equinox drivers expected some problems down the road so they didn't complaint so loudly when they pay for some unexpected repair bills.

Honda drivers expected bulletproof vehicle they paid big buck for, and they hear it was so reliable for so many years. They would be very upset for any repair bill and would complaint loudly to everyone for anything went wrong, even if original brake pad didn't lasted 100k miles was Honda fault.

No car is bulletproof. It just doesn't happen. I would expect a car manufacturer to step up to the plate if there was a know widespread reliability issue. Since 2003 Honda has had some issues. Brakes, automatic transmissions and excessive oil consumption in some of their engines. These aren't inexpensive items to fix. These aren't issues like a faulty rear view mirror or rattling glove box.

Here is a log of complaints for the 2008 model year Accord. Honda's biggest seller. Most of the customer complaints seem reasonable. Customers complained of oil consumption of a liter per 1000 miles the dealerships told them it was normal. I wouldn't consider it normal or be happy. Later when many customers exceeded the 1 liter per 1000 mile usage and Honda fessed up they had an issue to be covered by an extended warranty; they were told they were told they weren't covered. Not a great way to treat your customer if they want you to purchase another Honda.

Honda or the dealerships did not stand up to fix issues with problematic short life brakes or problematic automatic transmissions.

http://m.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2008/

I am a 2003 Honda owner who was fortunate to have purchased a Honda that has not been problematic to date. (I did have a rear brake issue in under 40K miles.) However, I realize I might well have been one of these unfortunate customers but for my lucky stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back