Honda Pilot gas mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good friends of mine purchased a new (loaded) Honda Pilot earlier this year. They just got back from a one-month vacation and put 3854 miles on it, traveling all over the south and midwest from Mississippi to Iowa to Illinois. For the entire trip, the Pilot averaged 23.3 mpg. Given the size of that thing, and the fact that it's about as aerodynamic as a brick, I was impressed.

Considering it's rated for 25 mpg, I'm surprised it only got 23.3 mpg unless they're really fast drivers.

Well I have to say it....
You were also (apparently) impressed with your Crown Vic mileage.

It IS possible to get VERY good mileage from even large, heavy vehicles these days.
Some SUV's I have driven in Europe (TDI's) have given much better overall and city driven MPG still.

Of course, some people here think such things are impossible!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Considering it's rated for 25 mpg, I'm surprised it only got 23.3 mpg unless they're really fast drivers.

I have always gotten better then EPA rated mpg for my cars, must be hard on the pedal otherwise that is not impressive.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I have always gotten better then EPA rated mpg for my cars, must be hard on the pedal otherwise that is not impressive.

Sounds like that is an all inclusive MPG, so you don't know how many city miles or how much idling is in the mix to judge.

Yeah, that's pretty good for what is likely very mixed driving. Our MDX will get that, but it's got to be on the highway only. Throw in driving around town with highway miles, and the average is closer to 20. In-town only, and you're looking at 16-19 depending on temperature, A/C use, etc.

That is what I can manage with a my fully loaded in cargo/people 2007 Acura MDX with a 5speed auto on longer trips. The very similar motor is tuned for more power(300HP vs 250HP) is down a gear. My RPMS sit at 2200 RPM doing 70-75MPH effortlessly with AC full tilt passing up and down hills with an occasioanal downshift.

The Honda vtec v6 is very old in design but been tweaked a lot! Still remains competitive with its old roots however IMHO has the achilles heel for owner spending $500-$1000 on a timing belt replacement and also requiring a valve clearance check at 105k.

I manage 18-19MPG in town with my MDX with majority of trips <10 miles. My MDX really grew on me as a really nice family vehicle. Fuel MPG stinks but not considerably worst then a Toyota Sienna or Honda Ody I would have gotten instead. They seem to manage maybe another 0-1mpg around town based on asking friends who are local.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I manage 18-19MPG in town with my MDX with majority of trips div>

Ours replace a 2007 minivan, and despite claims that minivans are far more efficient, ours really wasn't. Our van would get about 1 mpg better under all conditions than our MDX. So it had some advantage, but it wasn't huge. The MDX drives a ton better than our van, though, and that more than makes up for the small penalty in economy.

I really have to baby our RX-300 to get the EPA rating whereas with our other cars,(namely Altima) we can drive quite normal with some aggression(not hard) and still at least meet the EPA. Another car(Mazda3) will smash the EPA rating.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I really have to baby our RX-300 to get the EPA rating whereas with our other cars,(namely Altima) we can drive quite normal with some aggression(not hard) and still at least meet the EPA. Another car(Mazda3) will smash the EPA rating.

Opposite here. I can drive it hard and still beat EPA. LOL

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Opposite here. I can drive it hard and still beat EPA. LOL

I have had a car like that! Two infact!
One was an '88 Honda Accord and I flogged it daily. The other was an '84 Plymouth Turismo 2.2 and I did the same
laugh.gif

Both cars were only 100 HP...or there abouts!

Last edited:
Had a friend who complained about. her mileage on a Toyota Yaris...!?!?

Went for a drive with her and was shocked at how she drove... throttle was at 100%, or zero. She was first in line at EVERY red light...

She traded the Yaris for a Prius... not sure how she's doing now for mileage.

Hurry up and wait...!

The only time I've been able to get my Focus down to EPA mileage is once or twice in a snowstorm where I'm idling for a while because I am waiting on stuck cars or I'm helping push people out.

Originally Posted By: expat
Well I have to say it....
You were also (apparently) impressed with your Crown Vic mileage.

Yes, and bright, shiny objects impress me, too.
smirk2.gif

23mpg is terrible.
Wife gets 32MPG on the AWD forester combined 60/40 and its got lots of room.

The pilot is also a crash test looser:

2014-honda-pilot-iihs-after-crash.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
23mpg is terrible.

we dont know what year pilot it is.

a 2008 forester wouldn't exceed 25mpg empty.

comparing a 2015 new vehicle with a bigger less aerodynamic (older?) pilot is not very fair.

my 2015 forester gets 25mpg city, 35mpg@60mph and 30@70mph the best mileage by far is country roads doing 55mph.

32 mpg is terrible. My friend gets 50 mpg in his Prius.

Apples-to-oranges comparison, both of these.

Originally Posted By: Rand
23mpg is terrible.

we dont know what year pilot it is.

It's a 2014 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back