Honda P/S Pump Reseal

My buddy’s 07 Odyssey had a seeping p/s pump. He is trying to keep this vehicle running at a minimal cost since he plans to replace it this year. A new aftermarket P/S pump is $130, but I found a Gates p/s pump seal kit for $20. Since the pump was quiet and functioned normally, I decided to reseal it with new seals as an experiment.

B013308D-0532-45EF-8F9B-1C698EFF899D.jpeg

23DEB556-7A24-48E9-B7E1-A586EDF9F6FF.jpeg

CD70C9D1-8C5C-467D-9506-532C2BAEA0C4.jpeg

The shaft seal and pressure relief port o-ring were fine. All other seals were rock-hard and flattened. A brass hammer was the only special tool needed. I followed this video for instructions:

So far, the reseal is successful. I will keep my fingers crossed that it lasts for the remainder of his ownership.

Last edited:
I was going to do this same thing to the Wife's 2000 Accord right before it got destroyed. The 2003 is leaking a decent bit, might tackle that one this summer.

Michael, I put a new Amazon $65 pump on Sue's '06 TSX. I planned on getting the original rebuilt.
That was well over 2 years ago, as I recall. Dang thing is working fine.

Great job on the PS pump rebuild, by the way.

I was going to do this same thing to the Wife's 2000 Accord right before it got destroyed. The 2003 is leaking a decent bit, might tackle that one this summer.
The Gates p/s seal kit isn’t the greatest. Some of the seals were slightly larger than OE.

Michael, I put a new Amazon $65 pump on Sue's '06 TSX. I planned on getting the original rebuilt.
That was well over 2 years ago, as I recall. Dang thing is working fine.

Great job on the PS pump rebuild, by the way.
Thanks. If a new Amazon pump had been available for that price, I would have bought it.

The Gates p/s seal kit isn’t the greatest. Some of the seals were slightly larger than OE.

Thanks. If a new Amazon pump had been available for that price, I would have bought it.
That's the kit I have sitting on my shelf too. Probably get tossed when I clean out the garage this weekend.

Seals and o-rings are typically standard sizes, i.e. off-the-shelf items that have the other bits around them made to fit the seal or o-ring, not the other way around. I wonder if the OE sealing pieces had shrunk with age ?

Seals and o-rings are typically standard sizes, i.e. off-the-shelf items that have the other bits around them made to fit the seal or o-ring, not the other way around. I wonder if the OE sealing pieces had shrunk with age ?
OE pieces had definitely shrunk but the new Gates pieces were too large to fit in the groove securely.

Back