Installed New P/S Pump = Stiff Steering at Low Speeds

Friend’s 2013 Odyssey.

Found p/s pump leaking. Gave option for aftermarket and dealer, he went for aftermarket due to cost.

Installed a “Neodrive” pump from Worldpac. Bled it using every trick in the book. Road tested vehicle at varying RPMs with many figure 8 turns. Ultimately, there is just little/no assist at 0-3 mph; very stiff steering at low speeds.

Luckily it isn’t difficult to r/r these pumps but I am not pleased.

IMG_7805.jpeg

IMG_7802.jpeg

I bought an Amazon one like Jeff recommended a while back and it has been working fine. I intended to rebuild the old one until I dropped it and broke part of the case, in the trash it went.

The WS6 just had it's pump fail at 24 years, which in turn killed the alternator(full of fluid). At any rate I picked up a brand new Cardone from Amazon and it is very nice. I have had brand new pumps for a 3800 car bad right out of the box. Looks like the one you picked up is 100 percent new as well. Does anyone else make a pump for that vehicle?

Likely not related, but our 2007 Honda Odyssey we owned years ago had a TSB due to stiff power steering and pump whining. What was happening was the pump suction hose would collapse and starve the pump. You'd notice it big time while trying to do parking lot maneuvers. Our Honda dealer did the TSB, which I believe was replacing the PSF reservoir and return hose. Problem never really went away.

Friend’s 2013 Odyssey.

Found p/s pump leaking. Gave option for aftermarket and dealer, he went for aftermarket due to cost.

Installed a “Neodrive” pump from Worldpac. Bled it using every trick in the book. Road tested vehicle at varying RPMs with many figure 8 turns. Ultimately, there is just little/no assist at 0-3 mph; very stiff steering at low speeds.

Luckily it isn’t difficult to r/r these pumps but I am not pleased.

View attachment 204805
View attachment 204806
1.5 oz of lubegard red in all my honda's PS systems made them all butter smooth.
I checked with lubegard to make sure this would be ok first.

Back