Honda P/S Pump Reseal

My buddy’s 07 Odyssey had a seeping p/s pump. He is trying to keep this vehicle running at a minimal cost since he plans to replace it this year. A new aftermarket P/S pump is $130, but I found a Gates p/s pump seal kit for $20. Since the pump was quiet and functioned normally, I decided to reseal it with new seals as an experiment.

B013308D-0532-45EF-8F9B-1C698EFF899D.jpeg

23DEB556-7A24-48E9-B7E1-A586EDF9F6FF.jpeg

CD70C9D1-8C5C-467D-9506-532C2BAEA0C4.jpeg

The shaft seal and pressure relief port o-ring were fine. All other seals were rock-hard and flattened. A brass hammer was the only special tool needed. I followed this video for instructions:

So far, the reseal is successful. I will keep my fingers crossed that it lasts for the remainder of his ownership.

Last edited:
I was going to do this same thing to the Wife's 2000 Accord right before it got destroyed. The 2003 is leaking a decent bit, might tackle that one this summer.

Michael, I put a new Amazon $65 pump on Sue's '06 TSX. I planned on getting the original rebuilt.
That was well over 2 years ago, as I recall. Dang thing is working fine.

Great job on the PS pump rebuild, by the way.

The Critic

I was going to do this same thing to the Wife's 2000 Accord right before it got destroyed. The 2003 is leaking a decent bit, might tackle that one this summer.
The Gates p/s seal kit isn’t the greatest. Some of the seals were slightly larger than OE.

Michael, I put a new Amazon $65 pump on Sue's '06 TSX. I planned on getting the original rebuilt.
That was well over 2 years ago, as I recall. Dang thing is working fine.

Great job on the PS pump rebuild, by the way.
Thanks. If a new Amazon pump had been available for that price, I would have bought it.

The Gates p/s seal kit isn’t the greatest. Some of the seals were slightly larger than OE.

Thanks. If a new Amazon pump had been available for that price, I would have bought it.
That's the kit I have sitting on my shelf too. Probably get tossed when I clean out the garage this weekend.

Seals and o-rings are typically standard sizes, i.e. off-the-shelf items that have the other bits around them made to fit the seal or o-ring, not the other way around. I wonder if the OE sealing pieces had shrunk with age ?

The Critic

Seals and o-rings are typically standard sizes, i.e. off-the-shelf items that have the other bits around them made to fit the seal or o-ring, not the other way around. I wonder if the OE sealing pieces had shrunk with age ?
OE pieces had definitely shrunk but the new Gates pieces were too large to fit in the groove securely.

Are the failure common? I haven't seen a PS pump failed before.
pre-2010 Hondas/Acuras with hydraulic steering suffer from steering pump and steering rack failures, more often than other cars. Still don't come close to the 2000s Fords and some Chevys of the same era though.