Honda Odyssey filter stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downstairs with a neighbor in the parking garage. Filter stuck on Honda Odyssey van. No more than a couple years old. Blue Honda filter just behind right front wheel. I tried but its on tight and he didn't use oil on the seal last time. The guy used some claw thing not a wrench and crushed the filter. Been on for 8k (using m1 0w-20). I could get it off with a plumbers wrench but its so bad I chickened out, dont want to be liable. Obviously the media is crushed. Told him forget his screwdriver idea because if it doesn't work, your getting towed, that it will be ok till tomorrow. And to go ahead and fill, go to a mechanic, wont lose that much oil swapping filters.

What I want to know is....its bad. I mean crushed. Can he run with the crushed filter? Will it bypass?

I wouldnt use it.Could have fractured the steel shell and it might split under pressure.I would try a strap wrench right down at the base where it crimps to the can.

any pics?

if its really crushed, i doubt you can get proper flow out of that filter and i wouldnt even think of starting that thing untill you replace it.

I tried a pic my phone cant deal with the light down here. No way its getting proper flow. The shell is up against that middle shaft with the holes whatever its called. I think I could get it with a pipe wrench at the base, but I don't want to get involved, its that bad. wondering if he will be ok till tomorrow, and oil will flow via bypass.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I wouldnt use it.Could have fractured the steel shell and it might split under pressure.I would try a strap wrench right down at the base where it crimps to the can.

+1

Originally Posted By: Brons2
channel locks perhaps?

That's what I'd try. Get some muscle on that thing and it should come loose.

Like others have said, don't use the crushed filter.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
why will a screwdriver not work?

channel locks perhaps?

It might but if it doesnt we are talking tow, the filter has been compromised. I think its better he goes with this filter as it is, pray it bypasses. Why im asking.

We couldn't get a filter off on our old Camry and we mangled it pretty bad trying different things. Finally, we put a strap filter wrench (as suggested by others) right near the base and it came right off.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

That's what I'd try. Get some muscle on that thing and it should come loose.

Ive never had a filter I couldn't muscle till now. I dont even want to hang around when he starts it shortly.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
We couldn't get a filter off on our old Camry and we mangled it pretty bad trying different things. Finally, we put a strap filter wrench (as suggested by others) right near the base and it came right off.

Jury rigging my toy dogs collar for an attempt

take off the tire so you can get a pair of good channelock type pliers right on the seam at the base and it will come off. the contoured cobra types are fairly thin and I'm sure it will move.

I was going to suggest something that has always worked for me that was handed down to me, but after I looked it up I realized it is this "Channellock" thing everyone is talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-209-9-...4499&sr=8-2

So yes - turn the tire or go behind the tire if your arm fits, lock this sucker neat the base and give it a good push/pull in the correct direction and it will pop off. I have had many a stuck Honda filter incident w/ friends and this oil filter claw, that I now know as a Channellock, has saved the day. Going to suggest you wear carpenters gloves on this one because when that filter finally spins your knuckls are going to smash into something hard. Trust me, I know. Bloody knuckles.

I once used a screwdriver on an oil filter, it tore all the way around. I ended up disassembling the filter, piece by piece. Even the baseplate was stuck, I used a drift and hammer on the holes to finally get it off.

Good luck to you and your friend!

Drift it CCW at the base with a chisel (not a wood chisel) in an emergency. You have to be careful.

clean the filter really well....wrap lots of rubber bands around and use some elbow grease. SLOWLY TURN IT. GRIP it hard and twist slow with all the strength you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back