Honda Fit fog light design flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just found out that Honda Fit has a high number of incidents with fog light lenses getting busted up by rocks. I am not sure if Honda has going down hill or not but I did insist on buying a Honda made in Japan. But my fog lights and some other accessories, which make up for the 15% part content, may not be of the highest quality Honda is known for. For example, lenses on the Fit are reported to be very thin and weak. I am thinking about putting a metal mesh screen on it as that is more rugged than simply putting a protective film. A metal mesh needs to be secured to the fog light assembly housing, which is separated from the bumper and in black. The easiest way to to drill the housing and use screws with large hit to hold the mesh screen in place. However, I never like drilling into new stuffs and that would look ghetto. I wouldn't mind doing it to an old car but not a brand new car.

Are there tapes that can be applied onto plastic to hold a metal mesh screen over fog light.

IIRC, some folks were able to replace the stock lens w/ some sort of plexiglass or something by gently cutting open the foglight assembly?

It all may depend on where you drive as well. Both my foglight damage and my condenser damage probably happened on the same stretch of highway on my commute that's been under construction since 2010, lol. Loose rocks everywhere.

Wouldn't just covering the lenses up with something like Xpel/clear bra material help protect them better from rock hits? It should soften the blow.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Wouldn't just covering the lenses up with something like Xpel/clear bra material help protect them better from rock hits? It should soften the blow.

A metal mesh screen would prevent rocks from entering all together. Mesh screen is designed for gutter guard duty and many Fit owners use it to protect their condenser. The opening is small but not very restrictive of air movement. Sure, a mesh is preventing about 15% air volumn into the radiator but the air may be traveling faster, just as one was to put his finger over a portion of a garden hose opening. The fact that many SUV, CUV, and cars have plastic grill protection screen much thicker and more air restrictive made me realize that mesh screen still allows more than enough air into the radiator.

Unfortunately, the Fit doesn't have temperature gauge for me to tell the before and after but I am confident that I am fine in that aspect. I am hoping to transfer such protection over to the fog lights.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
IIRC, some folks were able to replace the stock lens w/ some sort of plexiglass or something by gently cutting open the foglight assembly?

It all may depend on where you drive as well. Both my foglight damage and my condenser damage probably happened on the same stretch of highway on my commute that's been under construction since 2010, lol. Loose rocks everywhere.

I try to avoid construction roads period. However, my commute is quite long on have stretches of high speed driving going through rural roads with gravel shoulder. In addition, dumpster trucks do not always cover their loads well. I am more attentive and stay way back. However, I can't prevent another truck or vehicle from passing me and get into of me. I am planning on doing speed limit from now on, at least with the Fit. It is a high fuel economy vehicle, that just happens to be sporty, so I am not going to drive like a teenager.

Odd. Many of the older Hondas and Acuras used Raybrig-made fog lamps with thick glass lenses and big metal housings. They could take a pretty severe pounding.

My Integra GS-R had them. Very impressive build quality.

Heat from the bulbs will make glues, adhesives, and many plastics lose integrity.

Possible rock damage seems so far down the list of stuff to go wrong!
Is this really a concern - an epidemic on those vehicles?

This unfortunately is just the nature of the beast on low-slung vehicles. Owners of Chevrolet Cruzes also report frequent A/C condenser damage. Like some Fit owners, some Cruze owners have resorted to making their own rock guards.

I suppose that glass fog lamps might withstand debris better, but they're also more expensive and they're heavier. The OEM has to make the judgement call on whether owners will care that their fog lamp lenses are hazed or cracked (most will not I suspect) and whether prospective buyers will pony up an additional $100 for glass fog lamps (most would not I suspect). If Honda thought that there was value to be gained in putting better fog lamps in, they would have done it. "Value" in this case simply isn't just cost, but if there is a justifiable reward for the extra cost and weight.

I would use the clear lens protection film if you're concerned about it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Heat from the bulbs will make glues, adhesives, and many plastics lose integrity.

Not if it's the right type of film for the job. I used Xpel on the headlights of my old A4 and it was never affected by bulb heat.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Possible rock damage seems so far down the list of stuff to go wrong!
Is this really a concern - an epidemic on those vehicles?

Yep, it happens a lot. Both mine had big jagged breaks and that seemed to be a common complaint on "fitfreak.com" That and the a/c condenser.

One of ours was saved by Xpel film. It took a heck of a hit that cracked the lens. The film held the lens together and kept it water-tight.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Well, I just found out that Honda Fit has a high number of incidents with fog light lenses getting busted up by rocks. I am not sure if Honda has going down hill or not but I did insist on buying a Honda made in Japan. But my fog lights and some other accessories, which make up for the 15% part content, may not be of the highest quality Honda is known for.

Honda has never been highest quality. Barely above average, yes, high quality no. But that myth and aura still stays alive. Same with Made in Japan. My Made in Japan G35 had as many "issues" as my made in Chicago Taurus. And that was from a time when Infiniti was #2 in quality behind Lexus. Both are/were great cars.

Quote:
Are there tapes that can be applied onto plastic to hold a metal mesh screen over fog light.

I'd imagine an auto body adhesive like what they use to attach the name and model badges would be the ticket. Designed to withstand the elements.

I've notice that honda/acura seem to be using the oval H11 type fog lights on most of their vehicles. They produce a very good useful beam and the H11 bulb is super long lasting. My point is they should be plentiful in scrap yards.

Check out this well written DIY post for lens repair froma civic forum.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting/121146-cracked-fog-light-lens-replacement-diy.html

On 03 Cr-v, I had to add a screen to the bottom in order to protect the a/c condensor. Most of the damage is due to highway speed bug strikes. A wasp will take out 2 or 3 fins.

Definetly a design weakness as I have noticed that they corrected in later Crv models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back