Axle Temp Gauge Project

Yeah … was just thinking now that you gave yourself the data … you can play with lube types.
Know you are a big ASG fan … but this might cut the temp:

788C5B6B-63B6-48EF-B426-4AC0D5470044.png

Originally Posted by zeng
A mineral 85W140 at KV@40*C of 420-440 cSt would surely helps in lowering oil temperature by as much as 15-20*F IMO , not so much with KV@40*C 320-350 cSt alternatives.
Amsoil 75W-140 is 177 Cst @40°C so the 85W-140 would be 2.5x thicker at the same temperature.

Hmmm...sounds like I may need to invest in a twin turbo setup to compensate for the power loss (especially in the winter in CO/WY) (just kidding).

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah … was just thinking now that you gave yourself the data … you can play with lube types.
Know you are a big ASG fan … but this might cut the temp:
Slightly thicker than Amsoil at 40°C (192 versus 177); not sure if that is enough to make a difference or not?

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
That cooling kit for your GT sounds interesting What does it cost?

It costs a lot of coconuts. The pump assy, the 4C158 (orange dot) in the picture is $1,786.07. The "cooling coil", the 3F749 (green triangle) in the picture is $628.70. The section of tube that goes on the cover, 4C159E, is $596.07.

It adds up quick. I could do it, or make sometime for cheaper, but I have a money pit of a racecar in my 95 Mustang that is crying for attention.

IMG_3919.jpg

Ester tends to have the film strength and lubricious nature … would not be afraid of a 90 with a RL ester based

Originally Posted by 4WD
Ester tends to have the film strength and lubricious nature … would not be afraid of a 90 with a RL ester based

Copy that. I have a small stash of Amsoil (enough to get me through the next couple of OCs), but will be open to trying Red Line to see how it works. I hope the 15K UOA shows a drastic reduction in wear metals and now that I have the temp gauges, I will have a couple of ways to analyze the data.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

It costs a lot of coconuts. The pump assy, the 4C158 (orange dot) in the picture is $1,786.07. The "cooling coil", the 3F749 (green triangle) in the picture is $628.70. The section of tube that goes on the cover, 4C159E, is $596.07.

It adds up quick. I could do it, or make sometime for cheaper, but I have a money pit of a racecar in my 95 Mustang that is crying for attention.

Wow! I assume that track use dictates the need for this setup? Also, does the oil temp remain close to coolant temp or is it significantly less?

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I've never seen the need for axle temp on a street vehicle, were you just bored and had excess cash laying around? or do you honestly see a need for this? I can think of a whole host of other critical things I'd want to monitor....Also you do realize with the sensor being at the top, you aren't getting actual fluid temp being the sumps are usually only about 1/2 full...
FCA reduced the oil capacity by at least 50% with the new Dana 44 axles versus the previous version (it has a total capacity of 1.6QTs) and the UOA at 5K was the worst one I have ever seen and the 10K UOA was not much better. With such a low capacity of the sump, I want to know what the axle temps are while on extended runs.

Why would I not be measuring the actual axle fluid temperatures? The probe is directly in the oil being slung over the ring gear towards the pinion gear. Mag-Hytec has their temperature probes in about the same location so I am curious why you do not think I am measuring the fluid temperature.

Love it!! Now get some Mag Hytec machined covers and adapt to those!

Wow! I assume that track use dictates the need for this setup? Also, does the oil temp remain close to coolant temp or is it significantly less?

Track use would indicate it. It was only available on the GT-500s with the Performance and Track Pack. The newer GT-350(R) have a kit and Ford Performance sells it as an add-on for GTs. The 1999-2004 Mustang Cobra's had issues with their IRS getting hot on track days since the exhaust was routed under the diff, they also used the clutch type Traction-Lok differential. All the newer hi-po Mustangs, mine included, use some version of a Torsen (mine is a T-2) so there aren't clutches to burn off.

For my 95 Mustang project I will probably just have the diff with a Torsen center and a girdle cover and see what happens. Ideally the engine will have, well hopefully, significantly more ponies *ha ponies* than the original 5.0HO. If I notice anything I will make a painfully expensive call to Summit and figure something out. The NASCAR setups are pretty trick, they run the pump off the driveshaft for their cooler.

Track use would indicate it. It was only available on the GT-500s with the Performance and Track Pack. The newer GT-350(R) have a kit and Ford Performance sells it as an add-on for GTs. The 1999-2004 Mustang Cobra's had issues with their IRS getting hot on track days since the exhaust was routed under the diff, they also used the clutch type Traction-Lok differential. All the newer hi-po Mustangs, mine included, use some version of a Torsen (mine is a T-2) so there aren't clutches to burn off.

For my 95 Mustang project I will probably just have the diff with a Torsen center and a girdle cover and see what happens. Ideally the engine will have, well hopefully, significantly more ponies *ha ponies* than the original 5.0HO. If I notice anything I will make a painfully expensive call to Summit and figure something out. The NASCAR setups are pretty trick, they run the pump off the driveshaft for their cooler.
What do the oil temperatures run with that setup?

What do the oil temperatures run with that setup?

I wish I knew. I will have to ask people I know when all of this settles out. One of my friends was on NASCAR radio yesterday doing an interview so that is a good sign haha.

Originally Posted by Lubener
I would be more concerned with auto transmission temps, not differential.

The system has an OEM transmission, oil, and water temperature and oil pressure gauges so that is already covered.

Back