Honda Filters - Just for discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most agree that Fram makes Honda oil fiters. At least some of them. And most agree that the only good Fram filter is no Fram filter. But just for discussion. I work for a large, well known company that manufacturers a vast number of different products. When we source parts, no matter who makes them, they have to meet our specs and we closely monitor that companys quality processes. So if Fram makes Hondas filters could it be that they are a higher spec filter than Fram typically produces? Just a thought.

quote:

Originally posted by Tones:
Many of the recalls with vehicles come down to a faulty part. Look at the ball joints with Dodge, the cruise control switch with Ford, etc. Car manufacturers pay dearly when the part does not meet its quality requirements, not to mention the effect faulty parts have on their reputation.

In the case of the Dodge ball joints and Ford's cruise control switch, it was faulty design rather than quality control.

Hootbro

I work at a Honda dealership. I started out at their quick lube facility, changing the oil on primarily Hondas. Everything was by dealership/Honda standards, and we used Honda filters. I've done probably 3000-3500 oil changes, and I've seen and used every oil and air filter Honda makes. Now I am technician trainee.

This is to set the record straight, once and for all. Their are TWO companies that make Honda filters. FRAM and FILTECH. Most of them were FILTECHs (at my dealership anyway), but it wasn't unusual for us to get a case of the FRAM filters every now and then. It seems that the FRAM Honda filters were of higher quality then your typical FRAM filter, but most of us though that the FILTECHs were better than the FRAMs. From what I recall, certain filters were never FRAMs though. For example, the PCX filter which is used on the high-revving S2000 was never a FRAM, always a FILTECH from what I saw.

Take this for what it's worth.

I totally agree. Every major company has its own requirements. Either Honda has approved of the quality control system of the manufacturer, or has put additional requirements in place. I'm guessing they also monitor the quality of the parts and probably requires the part supplier to do the same. When the quality starts to slip, they expect the supplier to do something about it (the Demming quality process). If they don't, then Honda would switch suppliers.

Many of the recalls with vehicles come down to a faulty part. Look at the ball joints with Dodge, the cruise control switch with Ford, etc. Car manufacturers pay dearly when the part does not meet its quality requirements, not to mention the effect faulty parts have on their reputation.

It may be true that the Fram filters are built to Honda specs - I don't know. But if the "specs" just call for a thicker piece of cardboard inside the filter, I still don't want it.
If I'm going to pay $6.00 for a filter it's going to be a quality product such as NAPA or Purolator. If I want an orange filter I'm sure not going to pay twice the price for the Honda name on the can.
Glen

"Spec" in and of itself is not really the issue. True, the specs may be a little different. It is also possible that they undergo a bit more verification testing during production to make sure that it meets spec.

The bigger issue is probably validation. Validation is what must be done to make sure that the design will perform the task it is intended to do.

Who did the validation on the filter? Did Honda do it, or did they rely on Fram? Perhaps Honda knows Fram is a lesser filter and that is the reason that it is not used on the S2000.

The biggest question of all, how good was the validation?

quote:

Originally posted by youngbuck:
I work at a Honda dealership. I started out at their quick lube facility, changing the oil on primarily Hondas. Everything was by dealership/Honda standards, and we used Honda filters. I've done probably 3000-3500 oil changes, and I've seen and used every oil and air filter Honda makes. Now I am technician trainee.

This is to set the record straight, once and for all. Their are TWO companies that make Honda filters. FRAM and FILTECH. Most of them were FILTECHs (at my dealership anyway), but it wasn't unusual for us to get a case of the FRAM filters every now and then. It seems that the FRAM Honda filters were of higher quality then your typical FRAM filter, but most of us though that the FILTECHs were better than the FRAMs. From what I recall, certain filters were never FRAMs though. For example, the PCX filter which is used on the high-revving S2000 was never a FRAM, always a FILTECH from what I saw.

Take this for what it's worth.

not only that, those filter for s2000 are made in Japan.

I have a cut open honda filter with me. It's the ones made by Fram. There is one difference in terms of quality. There are more pleats then the normal orange Frams. Other than that, it's got the normal cardboard endcaps, thin ADBV, and somewhat uneven pleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back