Need a grand oil filter summary thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having not participated much here in a few years I am finding a lot has changed in the oil filter world and it is hard to keep up. It would be great if we had a grand summary that was kept up to date with information like what company produces what brand since when, construction of different models, claimed efficiency, price, availability, etc. For example, until coming back here I was not aware of the changes to Fram Ultra filters, and it would be great to know which filters still use synthetic media with a wire backing, which filters still claim 99% at 20 microns, etc. Maybe at the very least we all could repeat certain known specs when we post about a particular filter: construction, claimed efficiency, price, where we bought it. I'll see a thread that shows a cut open filter and just assumes we all know the specs.

I would disagree ... Having such a thread would mean someone would have to maintain it, check for accuracy, etc. You going to do that? Plus, if BITOG had an official page/thread that did what you ask, we'd then be potentially liable if we listed the info wrong, and it would place the burden unduly on us.

In regard to which company owns what filter brand, I don't know that I care that much. What I care about is efficiency and construction, and frankly that is reasonably found on the filter-brand website. They do a decent job of updating the info. As far as prices, the retailers have their own websites as well.

I understand why you want what you want, but what you're asking for would take a lot of effort on someone's part. And for someone who admits he doesn't come around here much, I presume you want someone else to do your dirty work? Why can't you do your own filter website search? For that matter, it's not really that hard to use the "search" function here and find most of what you want quickly.

Last edited:
Why can't you do your own filter website search? For that matter, it's not really that hard to use the "search" function here and find most of what you want quickly.
Sure, I can search (and I do), but I'll come up with thirteen threads on a topic dating back many years with contradictory information. Also, I find that most manufacturer and dealer websites don't have complete or accurate information.

Oil filter, like all products, change over time. Perhaps the easiest way is to change your oil filter regularly with any quality brand, including OEM. Anyways, this works for me...

Plus, if BITOG had an official page/thread that did what you ask, we'd then be potentially liable if we listed the info wrong, and it would place the burden unduly on us.
I understand the liability problem if BITOG published something incorrect! I guess I'll just have to keep updating my own spreadsheets. For example, I have my own cross-references for all the filter brands for my various vehicles. I was just thinking about how difficult it is to know what is current information when here on BITOG. For example, I was reading one thread with a C&P and it turned out the filter was old stock from a few years ago and no longer relevant for what I could buy off the shelf. In another thread different posters were posting different efficiency ratings for the same filter.
Perhaps the easiest way is to change your oil filter regularly with any quality brand, including OEM.
True! But, being a BITOG reader I like to go above and beyond easy.

Too many changes and variables. Even if you buy a certain brand of filter it could come from different countries of origin. The consolidation of filter producing companies has blurred the distinction between brands.

Sure, I can search (and I do), but I'll come up with thirteen threads on a topic dating back many years with contradictory information. Also, I find that most manufacturer and dealer websites don't have complete or accurate information.
How do you know the manufacturer's websites don't have accurate information without proving it's inaccurate?

How do you know the manufacturer's websites don't have accurate information without proving it's inaccurate?
It's been shown on here numerous times. ADBV is claimed to be silicone and isn't, for example. Or the website says one thing and the box says another. Makes me suspicious of other information.

Affordability, availability, Different requirements, and what the oil companies are willing to share which isn't a whole lot creates to many hurdles getting in the way.

It's been shown on here numerous times. ADBV is claimed to be silicone and isn't, for example. Or the website says one thing and the box says another. Makes me suspicious of other information.
If you want silicone, then buy a filter with an orange, red or purple ADBV. Only one case was shown where a black ADBV was actually silicone on Densos.

If you want silicone, then buy a filter with an orange, red or purple ADBV.
Agreed! But, shouldn't a filter have a silicone ADBV if the company's website says it does? Sure, it's a minor thing, but if that information is wrong, what else is wrong in their description of the filter? If a restaurant advertises "lobster" I don't want to get imitation crab meat.

Agreed! But, shouldn't a filter have a silicone ADBV if the company's website says it does? Sure, it's a minor thing, but if that information is wrong, what else is wrong in their description of the filter? If a restaurant advertises "lobster" I don't want to get imitation crab meat.
Unfortunately we are pretty much left to the manufacturers' claims. Here is a recent summary of those claims.

If you want silicone, then buy a filter with an orange, red or purple ADBV. Only one case was shown where a black ADBV was actually silicone on Densos.
If you order online you have no such option.

Most of the filters at walmart are now taped shut, so you don't have that option really either.

I too would prefer OEM's would follow their own spec.

If you order online you have no such option.

Most of the filters at walmart are now taped shut, so you don't have that option really either.

I too would prefer OEM's would follow their own spec.
If you know what filters are suppose to have a silicone ADBV, then you'll most likely get one if sight unseen. When the "nitrile for silicone switcheroo" was going on, it seemed to be from supply chain shortage issues ... not a design change.

Only filters I've seen taped shut at Walmart were the Ultras, so maybe the Walmart you're shopping at is taping the boxes on their own. 🤷‍♂️

If you know what filters are suppose to have a silicone ADBV, then you'll most likely get one if sight unseen. When the "nitrile for silicone switcheroo" was going on, it seemed to be from supply chain shortage issues ... not a design change.

Only filters I've seen taped shut at Walmart were the Ultras, so maybe the Walmart you're shopping at is taping the boxes on their own. 🤷‍♂️
The Ultras, Tough Gard, M1 and I believe the Toyota's are taped now. I ordered a Supertech online and it wasn't taped but it did have a black, presumably nitrile, ADBV.

I would agree its a first world issue. Still it would be nice if they advertise something, they meet their own advertising, supply chain or not.

I would agree its a first world issue. Still it would be nice if they advertise something, they meet their own advertising, supply chain or not.
Everyday commercial products tend to have that "Design and specifications are subject to change without notice." type of caveat. Commercial products have no requirement for complete configuration control like an Air Force fighter jet for example. ;)

Sometimes changes have to happen so fast (like in the example of supply chain issues, nitrile vs silicone ADBV) that the company can't keep up in real time with all their documentation and product packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back