Honda Develops New 1.8l i-VTEC Engine for New Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm,

Went to a Cam Chain finally!

Also, Wonder where the Oil Filter is at now??

The 1.7 was a pain
mad.gif
to change.

What horse power and torque?

Cheers, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I have been very impressed with Hondas--esp since I've had my '84 Accord.

Interesting to see they have a timing chain on this one. I'd like to see chains come back - no more fiddling with belts.

Can someone explain how this works:

"Under low-load conditions on conventional engine, the throttle valve is normally partly closed to control the intake volume of the fuel-air mixture. During this time, pumping losses are incurred due to intake resistance, and this is one factor that leads to reduced engine efficiency. With the i-VTEC engine, however, intake valve closure timing is delayed to control the intake volume of the air-fuel mixture, allowing the throttle valve to remain wide open even under low-load conditions for a major reduction in pumping losses of up to 16%."

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing how changing the intake valve timing would reduce pumping losses under low-load conditions.

If you can watch the terrible streaming movie, they show the oil filter...

OMG!!!
shocked.gif
The filter is pointing down in a pretty good location...

Good for Honda...

Now, Make the warrenty to 60k / 5yr please
tongue.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

"Under low-load conditions on conventional engine, the throttle valve is normally partly closed to control the intake volume of the fuel-air mixture. During this time, pumping losses are incurred due to intake resistance, and this is one factor that leads to reduced engine efficiency. With the i-VTEC engine, however, intake valve closure timing is delayed to control the intake volume of the air-fuel mixture, allowing the throttle valve to remain wide open even under low-load conditions for a major reduction in pumping losses of up to 16%."

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing how changing the intake valve timing would reduce pumping losses under low-load conditions.

The video actually illustrates the concept. Instead of using the throttle to control the air density (power output), the throttle is left wide open and the excess air that was drawn in due to the WOT is allowed to bleed back out the intake valve before combustion. The pumping loss is overcome by allowing the piston to travel downward without the resistance created by a partially closed throttle limiting intake (imagine sucking through a straw with and without a finger/throttle partially covering the other end).

quote:

Originally posted by darryld13:

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

The video actually illustrates the concept. Instead of using the throttle to control the air density (power output), the throttle is left wide open and the excess air that was drawn in due to the WOT is allowed to bleed back out the intake valve before combustion. The pumping loss is overcome by allowing the piston to travel downward without the resistance created by a partially closed throttle limiting intake (imagine sucking through a straw with and without a finger/throttle partially covering the other end).

neat! Delayed intake closing allows you to make the expansion stroke longer than the intake stroke, which improves thermal efficiency. Mazda did that with the Millenia's engine, but it didn't have VTEC, so they had to add a supercharger to recover the lost power. Honda seems to have theirs set up to use regular valve timing when you need power, and a delayed intake closing when you need less power.

I hate to turn this into more GM bashing (no I Don't
grin.gif
) At least I wasn't first, thanks Al. Seriously they are so screwed. Gas prices going through the roof and they have NOTHING. Just saw a bunch of Aveo when passing a Chevy dealer with big 34mpg printed on windshields as if that was supposed to be impressive. There were small cars that could do that 20yrs ago (cough Honda...Toyota). I wasn't around for the 70s oil crisis but looks like I won't need to be as we will see a replay with GM being up S$%@ creek again. I guess history does repeat itself.
Back on topic. Looks like a great motor. And will make me lean more to a Civic than Corolla now. 138hp is not too bad as long as they don't make the car heavier. I would have to disagree with Andyfish's opinion. I hate an engine with no high end horsepower. Horsepower (well actually average horsepower) is all that matters anyway for acceleration (and weight). Like our GTP. No high rpm power. If you think so, go drive an Acura TL.

quote:

Originally posted by darryld13:
Instead of using the throttle to control the air density (power output), the throttle is left wide open and the excess air that was drawn in due to the WOT is allowed to bleed back out the intake valve before combustion.

I didn't see the video, but it sounds like the intake valve is left open at the beginning of the compression stroke to bleed the excess air out?

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
Just saw a bunch of Aveo when passing a Chevy dealer with big 34mpg printed on windshields as if that was supposed to be impressive.

The '05 Malibu is getting 35MPG. It's not a cramped econobox either, and that's with an automatic. But the Aveo does get better city fuel economy.

Good. I did not know that. Now they just need to offer some cars with manual transmission. You can get an Accord or Camry with manunal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back