Honda CVT transmission

Exactly right. There is also an obvious reason why they have to be serviced every 30k. They are making more metal as compared to conventional clutch and DCT automatics.

30k miles wouldn't have been often enough according to my UOAs but then you hear of others who don't bother to change to CVT fluid ever.

I think shear stability is more important than metals being lost. Magnets and filters will catch the metals.

Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 2.08.53 PM.jpg

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...i-oci-72-7k-mi-honda-hr-v.336252/post-5634384

How did this plug work out and where can you order it from....

Just got it on Monday and haven't had a chance to test it yet but the reviews on the product listing were positive.

Got stuck in some snow/mud today and it seemed like the replacement CVT had some serious vibrations, as if it was going to fail so I'm not going to add the new fill plug until my issues can be figured out :(.

To order it isn't easy because most sellers on the Chinese marketplace don't speak English and don't bother shipping outside of China.

Cssbuy is my preferred middle man. They buy for you, receive the package, take photos and then forward it. They charge 6% to do all this and take PayPal so there shouldn't be any worries about fraud.

This listing should work to buy it and have it sent to them:
https://www.cssbuy.com/item-677738920242.html

Cost is 105 Chinese Yuan for the item which is $15.27USD

Volume weight for the package was 170g and I used the courier SF Express to have it shipped to Canada. Shipping price is the same to the United States.

Shipping cost was 56 Chinese Yuan which is $8.48USD

Cssbuy shipped it on March 24th and it was delivered on April 3rd so SF Express is definitely the best option to choose when going ahead with the forwarding

Total Cost: $23.75USD

Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 2.38.08 PM.png

Honda CVT's do not have a torque converter. So that means a clutch is being slipped, especially in slow stop and go hiway traffic jams.

Sorry, they do have a torque converter. In fact, there is a TSB regarding a seal that can fail allowing fluid to leak out of the torque converter after a period of inactivity. This in turn can result in an engine stall on first start-up.

Exactly right. There is also an obvious reason why they have to be serviced every 30k. They are making more metal as compared to conventional clutch and DCT automatics.
Yes they have a tendency to really sheer down the fluids very similar to some of our high-end luxury and performance cars that have really big timing chains. I've got to the point now where I can remove some out of the fill plug but I feel better just taking it in after it's hot and letting it drain. I'm very anxious to see how it looks once I pull the pan here shortly. All new gaskets all new filters.

Attachments

• 20220710_215355.jpg
    20220710_215355.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221126_183010.jpg
    20221126_183010.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 21
Yes they have a tendency to really sheer down the fluids very similar to some of our high-end luxury and performance cars that have really big timing chains. I've got to the point now where I can remove some out of the fill plug but I feel better just taking it in after it's hot and letting it drain. I'm very anxious to see how it looks once I pull the pan here shortly. All new gaskets all new filters.
Please post some pictures of your service efforts.

Sorry, they do have a torque converter. In fact, there is a TSB regarding a seal that can fail allowing fluid to leak out of the torque converter after a period of inactivity. This in turn can result in an engine stall on first start-up.
Agree, that is my understanding as well. It goes into lockup as soon as it can, but the torque multiplication from the TC is part of its strategy. It probably has a touch two much off-the-line torque when compared to the rest of its tuning.

I was going by this example, it is a CVT and he at first says torque converter then corrects himself and call is the torque damper that they label later in the video. I may have jumped the g, saying they all don't have the torque converter I know the step transmissions have them.
But for sure some don't have a torque converter.
Note its labeled in this picture.

Last edited:
I was going by this example, it is a CVT and he at first says torque converter then corrects himself and call is the torque damper that they label later in the video. I may have jumped the g, saying they all don't have the torque converter I know the step transmissions have them.
But for sure some don't have a torque converter.
Note its labeled in this picture.

In the case of Honda, see TSB 18-072. Refers to torque converter in the CVT numerous times.

of course they do!

Torque and Honda in the same sentence doesn't go well with a CVT. I'm a enthusiast and I embrace the unfortunate truth.

Don’t think CVTs are aimed at the enthusiast market, but they are a really good solution for more-typical drivers. You’d probably like a DCT, but they have issues, too.

Is the Honda 1.5l still an oil dilluter? We passed on it when buying in 2019 - I had seen no sign of it being corrected at that point - maybe it is now?
Yes, it's still a dilluter under most circumstances. It's a small displacement forced induction engine that has low-tension piston rings, is naturally cool running and runs low viscosity oil. Unless run on the highway often and for enough time to get the oil hot enough to evaporate the fuel, it still dilutes oil. My 2020 EXL consistently dilutes oil below grade in 3000 miles while the oil life monitor indicates 60% life remaining. I've been somewhat proactive by trying to increase highway miles, reducing OCI'S to 3-4000 miles and switching to Mobil1 5W-30 EP. The CRV forum refuses to discuss this ongoing issue, indicating that Honda has "Solved" the problem, but yes, it's still an issue depending on how your vehicle is used. Being aware and proactive is the key, otherwise we like our CR-V'S.

I agree, other that one in that video they do have a torque converter in the newer cars. I didn't study it and put my foot in my (mouth) writing, sorry. :mad:

Yes, it's still a dilluter under most circumstances. It's a small displacement forced induction engine that has low-tension piston rings, is naturally cool running and runs low viscosity oil. Unless run on the highway often and for enough time to get the oil hot enough to evaporate the fuel, it still dilutes oil. My 2020 EXL consistently dilutes oil below grade in 3000 miles while the oil life monitor indicates 60% life remaining. I've been somewhat proactive by trying to increase highway miles, reducing OCI'S to 3-4000 miles and switching to Mobil1 5W-30 EP. The CRV forum refuses to discuss this ongoing issue, indicating that Honda has "Solved" the problem, but yes, it's still an issue depending on how your vehicle is used. Being aware and proactive is the key, otherwise we like our CR-V'S.
I clean out my PCV Valve with MAF CRC Cleaner and GDI/Throttle Body clean with CRC IVD. I used a lot of 0w30&5w30 kinda back and forth to mitigate the dilution. Highway trips do help. Sounds like you got a grasp on the issues.

The CRV Forum is a Orwellian on this topic. No mention or even a peripheral comment about fuel dilution is allowed. Repeat offenders are banned. Seems to be afraid to acknowledge two things can exist at once: 1) yes the 1.5T does dilute engine oil more than lots of other TGDIs and 2) it may not matter.

Sure that’s a CVT? Don’t recall that a gear indicator is shown. Perhaps this is a V-6 model?
On my 17 accord sport with cvt, it will show gear indicator if in sport mode using the paddle shifters.

It won’t show the gear it is in under normal driving conditions, unless you hit one of the paddle shifters to go up or down a gear it will show the gear then go away and go back into automatic mode if that makes sense

Back