Honda CVT transmission

We were all set to buy a Corolla back in 2018..... Until I drove one with the CVT transmission. I hated the thing, and couldn't get out of it fast enough.

It felt like driving a conventional automatic transmission that slipped really bad. We ended up buying a Camry instead, with the conventional geared 8-speed. And absolutely love it. It's the nicest driving car I've ever owned.

^^^Very typical of a Corolla. I don't criticize those who buy a Corolla but, I've never driven a Corolla that I've liked when compared to other small cars in its direct segment. They just feel like rubbish to me for a car that is among the most reliable thing on 4 wheels. I've always liked the Camry for what a Camry always was. This new(2018-present) is supposed to be the best Camry yet.

I was meticulous about changing the CVT fluid and filters on my 2016 HR-V. Fluid was changed close to a dozen times.

It still failed @ 180,000km, one month before the extended warranty would have ended.

Now 5000km later, I seem to be having an issue with the replacement. I'm sure Honda will help even though the warranty is over but I no longer have the same faith in CVTs.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/amsoil-cvt-6-9k-mi-oci-72-7k-mi-honda-hr-v.336252/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/honda-hcf-2-cvt-17398-miles-2016-hr-v.305703/

@ Raaizin. At a minimum I would talk to local transmission shop on their servicing and longevity period of the various model CVTs. Armed with that information you will have a better view on the reliability and pros and cons of a wider populace of vehicles vs random people experiences. If your daughter still buys the Honda, then she may also want to consider a longer extended warranty where the transmission repair costs are all covered regardless of mileage on the vehicle.

Some extended warranties specifically exclude CVT coverage, or only do so within certain mileage windows, and then only after proper service records are provided. Make sure you read the warranty fine print for sure for coverage provided specifically as it relates to the CVT transmission itself and or peripheral drive train components.

Good Luck on helping your daughter research this decision further.

Odds are a local transmission shop will (and should) have zero experience with Honda CVTs. Any problem other than the simplest (low fluid level, pan gasket leak) require the complete transmission to be removed and sent to Honda for repair. Remanufactured replacements aren’t cheap but Honda seems to be pretty generous in offering goodwill adjustments.

When you buy the CVT fluid make sure it's the Honda brand and you can save a few dollars if you buy it from an online parts store that sells original Honda fluids. When you purchase from these online stores it's smart to do comparison of the total price including shipping and if you're going to purchase from them it's also smart Buy many things at once because the shipping per item becomes less if you make a large order. So you might want to get the rear end fluid and maybe some new wiper blades and anything else you can think of that the vehicle could use when you purchase from an online parts store.

Reactions: hrv
My 2016 civic just passed 105k miles and it’s cvt works fine with around 30k fluid changes. Still has the rattle on warm restarts sometimes which Honda refuses to fix even though I have it on video

Quick note that while the planetary gearset eCVT is common for hybrids, there's a lot of variation like that - first-gen Insights had a manual transmission and a pancake electric motor between that and the engine. Crosstrek hybrid has a CVT like the gas model, Hyundai/Kia hybrids have had both conventional autos and DCTs so it's wild wild west time!

I was meticulous about changing the CVT fluid and filters on my 2016 HR-V. Fluid was changed close to a dozen times.

It still failed @ 180,000km, one month before the extended warranty would have ended.

Now 5000km later, I seem to be having an issue with the replacement. I'm sure Honda will help even though the warranty is over but I no longer have the same faith in CVTs.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/amsoil-cvt-6-9k-mi-oci-72-7k-mi-honda-hr-v.336252/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/honda-hcf-2-cvt-17398-miles-2016-hr-v.305703/

I have a theory on why some Honda CVTs are failing.

Lack of lubrication will cause a CVT to fail. This shouldn't have happened as the fluid was changed and tested (even have a sample that was never sent in, taken a few months before the failure).

Before mine was towed to the dealer, I noticed the CVT fill plug was missing.

Exhibit A: Honda's TSB

The screenshot of the TSB shows what happens - the CVT breather plug gets clogged, pressure builds up and that makes the CVT fill plug pop out

I check the breather plug every time the fluid is changed but I guess that wasn't often enough.

Since I drive on dirt roads, this is what probably happened:
1) Breather plug got clogged
2) Fill plug popped out
3) There are many reports of fluid coming out of these holes so either sand/dirt got in or fluid came out when braking hard

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 7.24.23 PM.png

Exhibit B: Countless comments in this YouTube video of people saying CVT fluid leaked out of their fill hole.

The mechanic in the video thinks it's a good solution to use a ziptie to secure the fill plug and also purposely points it the opposite direction of what the TSB says so it doesn't get filled with dirt.

It's a bad idea because someone wrote a comment that when he used a zip tie on the fill plug, transmission fluid came out of the breather hole.

Exhibit C: The fact that someone in China engineered a ventilated fill plug.

I ordered it from the Chinese online marketplace, got it a few days ago and will install it after this replacement CVT fiasco is over.

Here are some translated screenshots from their product listing

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 7.43.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 7.44.39 PM.png

1c.jpeg

2c.jpeg

3c.jpeg

4c.jpeg

I have a theory on why some Honda CVTs are failing.

Lack of lubrication will cause a CVT to fail. This shouldn't have happened as the fluid was changed and tested (even have a sample that was never sent in, taken a few months before the failure).

Before mine was towed to the dealer, I noticed the CVT fill plug was missing.

Exhibit A: Honda's TSB

The screenshot of the TSB shows what happens - the CVT breather plug gets clogged, pressure builds up and that makes the CVT fill plug pop out

I check the breather plug every time the fluid is changed but I guess that wasn't often enough.

Since I drive on dirt roads, this is what probably happened:
1) Breather plug got clogged
2) Fill plug popped out
3) There are many reports of fluid coming out of these holes so either sand/dirt got in or fluid came out when braking hard

View attachment 148823

Exhibit B: Countless comments in this YouTube video of people saying CVT fluid leaked out of their fill hole.

The mechanic in the video thinks it's a good solution to use a ziptie to secure the fill plug and also purposely points it the opposite direction of what the TSB says so it doesn't get filled with dirt.

It's a bad idea because someone wrote a comment that when he used a zip tie on the fill plug, transmission fluid came out of the breather hole.

Exhibit C: The fact that someone in China engineered a ventilated fill plug.

I ordered it from the Chinese online marketplace, got it a few days ago and will install it after this replacement CVT fiasco is over.

Here are some translated screenshots from their product listing

View attachment 148828

View attachment 148830

View attachment 148831

View attachment 148832

View attachment 148833

View attachment 148834

How did this plug work out and where can you order it from....

A younger automotive guy said to me, "It took 'em 60 years to get the automatic transmission right. Now they're making these."
Exactly right. There is also an obvious reason why they have to be serviced every 30k. They are making more metal as compared to conventional clutch and DCT automatics.

Back