Honda 1.5T fuel dilution and OCI's

My recent oil sample from my Ford was so coal inky black I could not see the full sun though the clear nalgene bottle.
Then I tried my high power LED flashlight behind it. Nothing. Completely opaque. Only 2100 mile on the Castrol edge and it was toast.

It's going to blackstone - if they ever get a shipping bottle to me

I'll take a photo of the sample and do a blotter test and photo that just for something for the forum to look at

Related to this thread, have decided to use Mobil1 0W-30 AFE and try a 4k interval, with a UOA at 3k to see how it's holding up as far as thinning out of grade. 0W-30 has been hard to locate in my area. NAPA got me a case of 6 quarts and I found 3 quarts at Walmart. The NAPA case was the older stock with GF5/SN/SN plus rating and the Walmart was the new packaging with the GF6/SM rating. Is there any problem mixing these? I was informed by Mobil that the older packaging met the new specs before the packaging was changed so its ok to use both. There seems to be plenty of the Euro-spec Mobil1 0W-30 but Honda specifies API and as I have the extended warranty and the blessing of the dealer to use the 0W-30 will probably stay with the AFE. Being candid with me, the service manager, service advisor and my mechanic all informed me that a lot of CRV's with the 1.5t engines come in with the oil level high on the stick and the oil reeks of fuel when drained, so apparently Honda still has issues with this engine. I guess another UOA will tell if the 0W-30 holds up better, going in Monday for the change.

Related to this thread, have decided to use Mobil1 0W-30 AFE and try a 4k interval, with a UOA at 3k to see how it's holding up as far as thinning out of grade. 0W-30 has been hard to locate in my area. NAPA got me a case of 6 quarts and I found 3 quarts at Walmart. The NAPA case was the older stock with GF5/SN/SN plus rating and the Walmart was the new packaging with the GF6/SM rating. Is there any problem mixing these? I was informed by Mobil that the older packaging met the new specs before the packaging was changed so its ok to use both. There seems to be plenty of the Euro-spec Mobil1 0W-30 but Honda specifies API and as I have the extended warranty and the blessing of the dealer to use the 0W-30 will probably stay with the AFE. Being candid with me, the service manager, service advisor and my mechanic all informed me that a lot of CRV's with the 1.5t engines come in with the oil level high on the stick and the oil reeks of fuel when drained, so apparently Honda still has issues with this engine. I guess another UOA will tell if the 0W-30 holds up better, going in Monday for the change.
Well, I just changed the oil in our '18 CRV. When I filled it back in August of last year, I used 3.7qt of M1 EP 0W20. Ran it 4323 miles. I measured what came out and it was about 3.7qt. I estimate about another .2qt or less that didn't make it into the catch pan from splashes and drips. So I'm happy. It's actually less than 4qt. I'm fairly confident the fuel dilution on our car isn't terribly bad. Last oil analysis I did at BS came back with 0.8% FD, which seems about right for what I got out. I did get a sample so we'll see what they come up with on this oil change.

I was planning on taking the M1 EP 5-6K, but we have a vacation coming up that will have us driving about 2k miles, so I changed earlier than I normally would've.

The oil going in is Castrol EDGE 0W20 (black bottle).

Well, I just changed the oil in our '18 CRV. When I filled it back in August of last year, I used 3.7qt of M1 EP 0W20. Ran it 4323 miles. I measured what came out and it was about 3.7qt. I estimate about another .2qt or less that didn't make it into the catch pan from splashes and drips. So I'm happy. It's actually less than 4qt. I'm fairly confident the fuel dilution on our car isn't terribly bad. Last oil analysis I did at BS came back with 0.8% FD, which seems about right for what I got out. I did get a sample so we'll see what they come up with on this oil change.

I was planning on taking the M1 EP 5-6K, but we have a vacation coming up that will have us driving about 2k miles, so I changed earlier than I normally would've.

The oil going in is Castrol EDGE 0W20 (black bottle).
M1 EP 0w20 Vis @ 100C - 8.7
Castrol Edge 0w20 Vis @ 100C - 8.1

Wouldn't the EP be the better choice?

M1 EP 0w20 Vis @ 100C - 8.7
Castrol Edge 0w20 Vis @ 100C - 8.1

Wouldn't the EP be the better choice?
Yes, but I already bought the Castrol, so I'm using it. FYI, I added about 8 oz of Castrol EDGE 0W40 to get it close to the full mark on the dipstick. That should bump up the viscosity, phosphorus and zinc a little, but still keep it around 9 KV100.

Back