Home Theater Receiver Power Ratings

Yeah, been looking at that. One thing that bothers me is the small display. I guess that they went for the minimal look, which I was into when it was just audio decades ago. But not for me in this multi purpose video/audio world. Just not liking it.
Dont think I will discount solely because of it but find the Sony http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/receivers/STR-ZA1100ES.php more appealing, granted though, the Sony power ratings in the way they list them kind of shocks me that they are using 1kHz for power output levels on one of their "premium" ES units.
I suspect the Sony is most likely a solid 80WPC 20/20 though... and sure I can find the specs someplace. Really bad for a premium product to list power like that.

Looks like it is good for 100x2 into 8 ohms.

I have the same issue. I use these as my height speakers...

By far the cheapest speakers in my setup, but they do the job for the height channels, and offer good mounting options.

Yeah, been looking at that. One thing that bothers me is the small display. I guess that they went for the minimal look, which I was into when it was just audio decades ago. But not for me in this multi purpose video/audio world. Just not liking it.
Dont think I will discount solely because of it but find the Sony http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/receivers/STR-ZA1100ES.php more appealing, granted though, the Sony power ratings in the way they list them kind of shocks me that they are using 1kHz for power output levels on one of their "premium" ES units.
I suspect the Sony is most likely a solid 80WPC 20/20 though... and sure I can find the specs someplace. Really bad for a premium product to list power like that.
Most receivers I check on are still sitting on a ship or back ordered due to chip shortages.
Oh well, my Older Denon works good enough for me for now!

Most receivers I check on are still sitting on a ship or back ordered due to chip shortages.
Oh well, my Older Denon works good enough for me for now!
YES! I noticed that a month ago. Its like almost everything out of stock, even in Best Buy, nothing on the shelves. Crutchfield, out of like dozens of receivers in Dec they had maybe 6 in stock.
Doesnt seem like a good time to buy. Add to the shortage, I dont know, most of the public now doesnt seem interested in receivers, though, I wonder sometimes, maybe it was always like that.

YES! I noticed that a month ago. Its like almost everything out of stock, even in Best Buy, nothing on the shelves. Crutchfield, out of like dozens of receivers in Dec they had maybe 6 in stock.
Doesnt seem like a good time to buy. Add to the shortage, I dont know, most of the public now doesnt seem interested in receivers, though, I wonder sometimes, maybe it was always like that.

Not trying to sell anything, and I am not associated with the website in any way, but this is a favorite go-to for me when looking for discount gear. I bought my last Yamaha from here with warranty. I even had it repaired for free under warranty at a local shop.

When they do finally come in I hope there is a bunch of them so maybe, just maybe, they'll be cheaper. LOL
Not trying to sell anything, and I am not associated with the website in any way, but this is a favorite go-to for me when looking for discount gear. I bought my last Yamaha from here with warranty. I even had it repaired for free under warranty at a local shop.

Prices seem good for factory refurbished units. Thanks for the link DriveHard!
Been looking at Marantz.

The older Denons are powerful units. It's just too bad they don't have any HDMI jacks on them. The newer Denons I know nothing about, but it wouldn't surprise me if they've gone the way all of the other makes seem to have gone...
I have a Denon AVR X4200W that I bought years ago. It does 4K HMDI and seemed to work fine when I had it powering my speakers, though at this point it only drives the centre channel. I have a separate power amp for the sub and a Bryston 4B running my mains, which has fantastic specs (270W/channel; closer to 300 now with the refresh, at 0.0027% distortion 20-20Khz).

Of course Denon only lists 2-channel output for it:
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)125 W

I hooked up my old Denon the other to my 2 front bookshelf speakers and a center channel speaker. This setup blows my sound bar away. The only down side is my Dish remote won't pair with the Denon, so I had to program all of my devices into my Logitech remote. On another good note, the amp on my sub went out the other day, but it was still under warranty (I bought it from Parts Express). Their store is only a 30 minute drive from me, so I took the amp and the receipt there, and they gave me a new amp. Though it's the same model, this one seems more powerful, as I had to turn down the volume level compared to where I had the previous one set...

Looks like it is good for 100x2 into 8 ohms.

Good post, To put it this way, decades ago I was always impressed with Sony ES components.
I do think like everything they have been cheapened down, just the fact that they do not give a true 20hz-20kHz power level tells me that.
Even the reviewer didnt note what frequency was involved, she just said it matched the spec, so the Spec for this Sony receiver is a dumbed down 2 channel output at the one frequency of 1kHz which is easy on an amp. WIth that said it has a robust center channel output which kind of tells me this is a well thought out AVR and it should be with the Sony ES name on it. (btw- Im kind of liking it)

Now with all the above said, without question I still think (as the reviewed noted too) that the Sony is a cut above the stuff being offered at lower prices and it should be. So for me, if I was going to spend $900 on an AVR The Sony ES would be on the short list. I do think the value is there, but I haven't looked much in this price range and not really in the market or two put another way, super HAPPY with my home setup but its getting on in years (like granpi) and would like the latest codecs.
Even though with an upgrade I really do not expect much upgrade in "sound" though I would never know until I know, you know? *LOL*

Anyway, great info and if you run across other stuff like this in the $900 and lower range let me know. (though this is granpi thread!
FYI before seeing the Sony ES at this price which is acceptable I was only considering looking for a good sale and maybe a $500 max'ish price.
But, if the specs blew me away going up to $1000 isnt out of the ball park, just dont think its necessary since our current Yamaha drives the speakers to uncomfortable levels. Yamaha would be another option...

Back to the basics ... seems the days have gone when AVRs listed the full frequency power output of their amps and why the lower cost Onyko was impressive that they did. Doesnt mean that power output is the end all of if an amp is good but was nice to see proper documentation.

Last edited:
Simple rule for AVR if it weighs less than 25 lbs and MSRP is less than $1000 USD then it likely ain't bringing it to the party.

Even then you have to listen; i.e: Denon haven't had much punch since day one, Yamaha somewhat chalky and amorphous.

I would closet rack some good 2ch stereo power amps 50- 75 wpc and grab a good used high end AV processor.
But I am deaf now, and wife goes to bed at 7pm so I am quite happy with Sennheiser wireless HP with a 2ch mixdown
Lot of cable audio signal from Comcast isnt that great, HBO has been the exception in the past being "adequate to good"
- Ken "old and deaf Audiophile from the Boston area"

My Yamaha 2095 is still doing its job after 22 years of use. I've had to do some creative wiring to get the use of 5.1 out of the other parts (Oppo blu-ray and Nvidia Shield and Pana plasma TV). It works well, but I know there will be a day when it will be the unworkable link or breaks.

Simple rule for AVR if it weighs less than 25 lbs and MSRP is less than $1000 USD then it likely ain't bringing it to the party.

Even then you have to listen; i.e: Denon haven't had much punch since day one, Yamaha somewhat chalky and amorphous.

I would closet rack some good 2ch stereo power amps 50- 75 wpc and grab a good used high end AV processor.
But I am deaf now, and wife goes to bed at 7pm so I am quite happy with Sennheiser wireless HP with a 2ch mixdown
Lot of cable audio signal from Comcast isnt that great, HBO has been the exception in the past being "adequate to good"
- Ken "old and deaf Audiophile from the Boston area"
The AVR I replaced with my Denon was a Sony. It was rated at 100 x 5. This Denon is rated at 80 x 5, and it plays much louder and cleaner than the Sony did. I'd say it has plenty of punch, but I have no idea what you're comparing the Denons to that makes you say they don't have much...

I think I am going to purchase (when available) a Yamaha RX-A6A, with 150wpc into 2 speakers. It's not enough for me, and possibly I'll use one of those modern Class D 2 channel 500wpc amps on the front 2 speakers. My current Yamaha is 125wpc.

The AVR I replaced with my Denon was a Sony. It was rated at 100 x 5. This Denon is rated at 80 x 5, and it plays much louder and cleaner than the Sony did. I'd say it has plenty of punch, but I have no idea what you're comparing the Denons to that makes you say they don't have much...
grampi,
I think we both sort of interested in the same type of AVR and power range. Even though I am ok with spending up to 1k or so Im so happy with my low cost (but older now) Yamaha HTR 6240.
As I stated it has a separate powered sub and respectable speakers, Paradigm L&R, JBL ref. center, 2 JBLs rears.
This unit even at its modest power ratings has the dynamic power to drive the sound to uncomfortable levels in our rather large room with high ceilings. So I just dont feel the need to spend that 1k for a modest Sony ES or Yamaha Adventage. This unit is used to video, we rarely ever listen to music through it.
Anyway, the Sony I previously mentioned looked interesting and the base level Yamaha Adventage sounds interesting too. But chances are way more than I need, what bothers me a little bit is the more sophisticated/complicated the units get in the upper price ranges seems to sometimes bring reliability issues/firmware updates and overkill for what I personally need.

Which brings me to this. I found an updated version of my older Yamaha AVR and IF when the time comes I very well may lean towards it.
This receiver has been so reliable and rock solid that I hesitate to go to another brand.
So here is an updated version of what I have at $299 = https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha...heater-receiver-black/6198554.p?skuId=6198554

But this one has the extras I wanted, Apple Airplay, Bluetooth/Wifi and the cost is stupid low @ $449. So low that maybe I would step up a model. I just ran across it last night and have to look more into it. I wouldnt give it a second thought if it wasnt for that tiny display, I dont know if I can live with it or not = https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV4ABL/Yamaha-RX-V4A.html
Caution *LOL* I didnt look up if this has all the latest CODECS

Then of course that Denon you mentioned.

To me it seems like with most of these receivers now you are not going to be able to tell the difference in sound level unless you really go sky high in price, its more about features. Im sure you know, to even notice a slight increase in sound level is something that will play 3db louder, to play something 3 db louder you need to DOUBLE amplifier power. Which would be rare indeed to find in a AVR over separate amps. Its really not needed since most AVR systems now have separate power subs leaving the less demanding to the receiver.

Last edited:
I nerever owned an AVR, but have heard about their "audiophile" receivers and integrated amps, which should have more current drive than HT stuff. But iIsuppose I should take the products item by item and not generalize.

Punchy amps form my audio days in the 80's were

1) Electron Kinetics Eagle

2) Sumo Polaris

3) Hafler DH200 - Musical Concepts Modded

4) APT Holman Amplifier 1

Eagle 2A

Eagle 2A.jpg

eagle2A under the cover.jpg

Sumo Polaris ... below vvv

sumo polaris.jpg

My Yamaha 2095 is still doing its job after 22 years of use. I've had to do some creative wiring to get the use of 5.1 out of the other parts (Oppo blu-ray and Nvidia Shield and Pana plasma TV). It works well, but I know there will be a day when it will be the unworkable link or breaks.
I think I am going to purchase (when available) a Yamaha RX-A6A, with 150wpc into 2 speakers. It's not enough for me, and possibly I'll use one of those modern Class D 2 channel 500wpc amps on the front 2 speakers. My current Yamaha is 125wpc.

Out of all the AVR's I listened to the Yamaha had the smoothes sound and Onkyo was the harshest. I ended up with the Yamaha RX-V667 which is 90 watts x 7 and is more power than I need. While it is 12 years old I"m hoping it last 22 years.

grampi,
I think we both sort of interested in the same type of AVR and power range. Even though I am ok with spending up to 1k or so Im so happy with my low cost (but older now) Yamaha HTR 6240.
As I stated it has a separate powered sub and respectable speakers, Paradigm L&R, JBL ref. center, 2 JBLs rears.
This unit even at its modest power ratings has the dynamic power to drive the sound to uncomfortable levels in our rather large room with high ceilings. So I just dont feel the need to spend that 1k for a modest Sony ES or Yamaha Adventage. This unit is used to video, we rarely ever listen to music through it.
Anyway, the Sony I previously mentioned looked interesting and the base level Yamaha Adventage sounds interesting too. But chances are way more than I need, what bothers me a little bit is the more sophisticated/complicated the units get in the upper price ranges seems to sometimes bring reliability issues/firmware updates and overkill for what I personally need.

Which brings me to this. I found an updated version of my older Yamaha AVR and IF when the time comes I very well may lean towards it.
This receiver has been so reliable and rock solid that I hesitate to go to another brand.
So here is an updated version of what I have at $299 = https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha...heater-receiver-black/6198554.p?skuId=6198554

But this one has the extras I wanted, Apple Airplay, Bluetooth/Wifi and the cost is stupid low @ $449. So low that maybe I would step up a model. I just ran across it last night and have to look more into it. I wouldnt give it a second thought if it wasnt for that tiny display, I dont know if I can live with it or not = https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV4ABL/Yamaha-RX-V4A.html
Caution *LOL* I didnt look up if this has all the latest CODECS

Then of course that Denon you mentioned.

To me it seems like with most of these receivers now you are not going to be able to tell the difference in sound level unless you really go sky high in price, its more about features. Im sure you know, to even notice a slight increase in sound level is something that will play 3db louder, to play something 3 db louder you need to DOUBLE amplifier power. Which would be rare indeed to find in a AVR over separate amps. Its really not needed since most AVR systems now have separate power subs leaving the less demanding to the receiver.
The RX-V385 was the one I was looking at, which is also the one that prompted me to start this thread...

Back to the basics ... seems the days have gone when AVRs listed the full frequency power output of their amps and why the lower cost Onyko was impressive that they did.
The low end Denon S740H I bought refurbished a couple of years ago does list power at full frequency. Of course you can guess which power figure is being advertised in all marketing materials. :)

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 75 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 110W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive) 165 W

The low end Denon S740H I bought refurbished a couple of years ago does list power at full frequency. Of course you can guess which power figure is being advertised in all marketing materials. :)

Yeah, its getting to the point that you need to look up the unit online, download the PDF to get the real numbers.
Nice to see some less expensive units from the better companies still list them or at least one of them.

There is one thing different from decades ago though. Like your receiver for example and the Yamaha I and grandpa mentioned, you dont really need gobs of massive power as much as you did in the older days, so a true 70,80, 90 WPC 20/20 less then 1% distortion will light up a room with sound tracks from movies ect because in almost all cases in a AVR situation you have one or two powered subwoofers.

Back in the day of two channel only sound, most of us went with quality speakers that had to be driven to high levels with no separate powered sub, you needed a high quality amp to power the bass and control the cone. Since base is where the power is needed, now the sub is powered by itself in most consumer setups unless you really go costly.

Its competition and most of the public no longer knows what they are buying or what the numbers mean. I love hearing someone talking and says their car stereo have 1200 watts of power or their sound bar 700 watts. I cringe ...

Yeah, its getting to the point that you need to look up the unit online, download the PDF to get the real numbers.
Nice to see some less expensive units from the better companies still list them or at least one of them.

There is one thing different from decades ago though. Like your receiver for example and the Yamaha I and grandpa mentioned, you dont really need gobs of massive power as much as you did in the older days, so a true 70,80, 90 WPC 20/20 less then 1% distortion will light up a room with sound tracks from movies ect because in almost all cases in a AVR situation you have one or two powered subwoofers.

Back in the day of two channel only sound, most of us went with quality speakers that had to be driven to high levels with no separate powered sub, you needed a high quality amp to power the bass and control the cone. Since base is where the power is needed, now the sub is powered by itself in most consumer setups unless you really go costly.

Its competition and most of the public no longer knows what they are buying or what the numbers mean. I love hearing someone talking and says their car stereo have 1200 watts of power or their sound bar 700 watts. I cringe ...
I concur.

First, this is a wonderful thread full of great information. Allow me to add my .02:

My living room setup consists of a Pioneer Elite VSX-45 that's FTC rated at 80 watts per channel stereo, 20-20,000hz. With all channels driven, I'd bet it does less than 1/4 of that, or 20w x 5. It's never had an issue driving my relatively high-end speakers: 2 Paradigm Studio 60 v2 mains, a Studio CC center, and Studio ADP surrounds which are supplemented by a Dayton SUB15. I rarely crank things up, however the few times I have I have never felt that more was needed. The only time I've ever had the receiver go into protect was while hosting parties, playing music at neighbor-agitating volume in 5ch stereo mode.

I see no reason to have anything more capable than that. Granted, my setup is far from a "dedicated theater" but I feel it's got more than enough oomph to satisfy all but the most dedicated of AV purists.

Back