Home mechanical; just need some ideas

I’ll bet it stems from water heaters letting go and leaking. In a multi story condo that is absolutely fatal. Their solution is to have a simple age limit.
If the OP is required to keep the water heater under warranty per HOA rules, you might as well do it right the first time by installing this Rheem unit from Home Depot:

Rheem Lifetime Warranty 40 gal. Water Heater

Like the old adage: "Buy once, cry once!"

For the water heater I'd hire a (licensed, bonded) plumber, you don't want to be "that guy" that floods everyone out.

I like the idea of the heat pump in addition to the existing gas heat and antique AC. No reason to tear them out TBH. If you put in a generator transfer switch you might find the existing gas heat requires less electricity vs a heat pump and would work in an emergency.

Those aren't famous for breaking.

I guess it depends. Assuming a refrigerator connected with a valve installed for that purpose

1695836738311.jpg

like most homes in the last, say, 30 years, I can't imagine that flexible line is any more likely to fail than one for a washing machine.

If it's connected with a saddle tap valve, though--I've seen those leak.

I guess it depends. Assuming a refrigerator connected with a valve installed for that purpose

View attachment 180717

like most homes in the last, say, 30 years, I can't imagine that flexible line is any more likely to fail than one for a washing machine.

If it's connected with a saddle tap valve, though--I've seen those leak.

The only refrigerator that I have ever seen with it's own shutoff valve at the refrigerator like shown above was one that I installed. I have no idea if new houses already come with that.

The only refrigerator that I have ever seen with it's own shutoff valve at the refrigerator like shown above was one that I installed. I have no idea if new houses already come with that.

They do, in fact, and my old house (built 1994) had one behind the refrigerator that I never even knew was there till I replaced the refrigerator just before putting it on the market in 2018.

I don't think saddle valves are allowed by plumbing codes, which may be why.

Thanks for all the replies.

In answer to a few questions, yes, an out of warranty HW heater needs to be replaced and there is no "guy down the street" or "DYI" installs; installer must be a licensed contractor and have business insurance. Regarding laundry, i have a single throw shutoff that I posted about before; when laundry is not in use, it must be closed.
There is a lot of grief on this site regarding HOAs and i would never want to live in one in a residential neighborhood with people complaining about lawn care, but for a shared structure pretty much a necessity. I don't want people stockpiling stuff in the halls, having yapping dogs next door etc.

Nice option on the rheem lifetime. I might take that up. I bought a whirlpool 12 year warranty HW heater in my previous house in about 2003 and it is still working. Cost about $313.

I will probably fix what is broken and address the electrical panel. I think there are incentives for installing a HP HVAC system so I thought i might take advantage of that.

-Thomas.

Back