Hit & Run Drivers Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I live in the greater Boston area and park my car on the street. I went out to my car today to see the rear taillight smashed to bits. I look at the front of the car and see no note of any kind. sigh. At least this is my winter beater (94 Subaru Legacy) and not my summer car. Its not worth going through my insurance because the part cost $35 at the local junkyards.

I am [censored] that someone has the nerve to damage my property and then does not own up to it. It cost me my time and my money.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. I know it could be worse but it still inconveniences me and I feel like the driver of the other car flipped me off and is still doing it every second I look at the car.

My GF (at the time) Fiat 128 sedan was sideswiped by the City (Lawrance) snow plow one winter - totaled the car. Nice big orange stripe down the side, the doors wouldnt open or close properly on that side. The City would not own up to it or pay any damages. Cost her $1200- out of pocket. Thank goodness it was beater and not a new car.

I have to park on the street and I get lots of little dings, dents, and scratches and I can't recall ever having a note left on my car. One thing I have observed is that lots of vehicles these days, particularly large SUVs and Trucks, just do not match bumper to bumper with standard cars. Plus, a fair number have trailer hitches and balls left on, which look like they would just about perfectly take out the lights on many cars. I try to avoid deliberately parking either in front of or behind one of these vehicles, but I have no control of who pulls in next to me when I am not there.

Some idiot backed out of the driveway, crossed the street, and hit my car which was in the overflow lot. (I lived in a retirement community taking care of my mother for awhile>)

She first tried to blame me. (the nerve I had, parking on a legal spot.)

Then she insisted I take it to her shop. I took it to mine. Hers was $400 more. So guess where I took it....

Then the bigger idiot husband played tough guy. Screamed at me that by Monday I wouldn't be parking there anymore. He wasn't happy with the fact that I didn't care what it costs him.

So he calls the office, and was told point blank that since I lived there, I could park there, and he had no standing or right to do anything about it.

So instead of a simple sanding and repaint, I got a brand new rear facia.

I have a good vertical dent just behind the driver side fender well, at some point. Mysteriously deposited by unknown vehicle in some parking lot somewhere. From the height of it, it looks like an SUV or tuck door impact. And a front bumper split down the center (held together by some surprisingly good gel bond) from what looks like a tow hitch from a mystery rear-ender who hasn't mastered parallel parking yet.

-Spyder

If you have an uninsured motorist insurance with that car, file a claim. The insurance company will inspect the damage and give you a check for parts and labor minus your deductible. Hopefully, the check is big enough so you don't have to pay for that damaged parts.

Get a shock sensor. Sure, they probably won't stick around, but at least you'll have a chance at getting a couple rounds off at them!
grin.gif

Seriously though, at least you have a better shot at chasing them down if your car can cry for help. I can hear my air horns from a long distance, and they're pretty distinct.

Quote:
I can hear my air horns from a long distance, and they're pretty distinct.

I live in a small city and car alarms are worse than parking dings, by far! Sometimes I wish the police would start ticketing cars with alarms blaring for disturbing the peace, or maybe they should just be towed and kept in a safe (and expensive) place until the owner returns.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Some idiot backed out of the driveway, crossed the street, and hit my car which was in the overflow lot. (I lived in a retirement community taking care of my mother for awhile>)

She first tried to blame me. (the nerve I had, parking on a legal spot.)

Then she insisted I take it to her shop. I took it to mine. Hers was $400 more. So guess where I took it....

Then the bigger idiot husband played tough guy. Screamed at me that by Monday I wouldn't be parking there anymore. He wasn't happy with the fact that I didn't care what it costs him.

So he calls the office, and was told point blank that since I lived there, I could park there, and he had no standing or right to do anything about it.

So instead of a simple sanding and repaint, I got a brand new rear facia.

Dont ya just love the way people make their mistakes,seem like yours? i dont know what the [censored] is happening to people any more,nobody wants to admit when their wrong.it`s always some one else`s fault,never their`s.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Dont ya just love the way people make their mistakes,seem like yours? i dont know what the [censored] is happening to people any more,nobody wants to admit when their wrong.it`s always some one else`s fault,never their`s.
smirk.gif

Ain't that the truth.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I live in a small city and car alarms are worse than parking dings, by far! Sometimes I wish the police would start ticketing cars with alarms blaring for disturbing the peace, or maybe they should just be towed and kept in a safe (and expensive) place until the owner returns.

The excessive alarms you hear could be due more to panic buttons than actual alarms. They should definitely get rid of those. Whenever I've heard an 'alarm' on our street, that appeared to be the cause. I accidentally pressed mine while it was in my pocket twice before I came to my senses and disassembled my remote to permanently disable it. I've also been annoyed far more by vehicles that honk while locking/unlocking than alarms. They should get rid of those at the same time as the panic buttons. Car alarms can be annoying, but an accidental trigger due to something other than an obnoxious truck or motorcycle exhaust is very rare. When it is caused by an exhaust, I'm glad I'm able to respond with some annoying noise of my own.

I was in a hit and run and had the make, model, and license plate of the runner. It did me no good.

Because my vehicle was paid for and I was only carrying liability, I was out the money.

Next time, they're not getting away...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
I was in a hit and run and had the make, model, and license plate of the runner. It did me no good.

Because my vehicle was paid for and I was only carrying liability, I was out the money.

wink.gif

wait a minute,HUH?? that should definitely have not been the case!! you should have sued him in small claims court at least,and had your expenses paid as well! and if he had nothing,take what he had,or garnish the wages. how long ago was this? you have two years i believe it is in pa.now dont get me wrong here,i am not a sue happy person. but in cases like this when these COWARDS do this and run off, i`d like to beat their [censored] as well!

Last edited:
Quote:
The excessive alarms you hear could be due more to panic buttons than actual alarms. They should definitely get rid of those. Whenever I've heard an 'alarm' on our street, that appeared to be the cause.

The most common cause seems to be getting bumped by another car or truck trying to squeeze into a parking space, which happens a lot on our street. The other day I was working on my motorcycle in the back yard and someone's horn was going off in a very random manner--it sounded like a drunk going crazy, not the usual steady beeping--so I marched out (with wrench in hand) to see what was going on and it was just the usual parking bumper cars.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos

wink.gif

wait a minute,HUH?? that should definitely have not been the case!! you should have sued him in small claims court at least,and had your expenses paid as well! and if he had nothing,take what he had,or garnish the wages. how long ago was this? you have two years i believe it is in pa.now dont get me wrong here,i am not a sue happy person. but in cases like this when these COWARDS do this and run off, i`d like to beat their [censored] as well!

My wife was in hit a run (with our 1 year old in the car). Older couple in Lexus. They waved as they drove off. PD took the report, stopped by the offenders' house, they were not home. PD dropped the case.
That's it. PD won't release the name to us. We had witnesses and everything. Ended up paying $250 out of pocket to get the car fixed under the uninsured driver claim.

We had to fill out a ton of paperwork for the state DMV to prove that we had insurance and that car was registered. Not a word about the perps. As usual, the victim pays, and criminal walks away free.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
The most common cause seems to be getting bumped by another car or truck trying to squeeze into a parking space, which happens a lot on our street. The other day I was working on my motorcycle in the back yard and someone's horn was going off in a very random manner--it sounded like a drunk going crazy, not the usual steady beeping--so I marched out (with wrench in hand) to see what was going on and it was just the usual parking bumper cars.

Wacky. It's not normal here to bump another car. I guess we have a lot of space.

Sitting inside Barnes & Noble one days sipping java and observed an elderly man in a late model Volvo attempt to depart his current parking spot (single file, one vehicle behind the other in front of store row with a reasonable space between vehicles). He managed to maneuver into the bumpers of both vehicles parked in front and behind him several times before departing. One of the hits was not light either..it shook the late model Saab that was hit quite violently IMHO. He did this without remorse or any concern, in full view of dozens of shoppers going about their business. I just face-palmed in disgust. I've always parked in the farther reaches of any public parking lot with very high success, however it's nice to be reminded of why I do what do. To stay away from the door-bangers-club.

Originally Posted By: J_Sap
So I live in the greater Boston area and park my car on the street. I went out to my car today to see the rear taillight smashed to bits. I look at the front of the car and see no note of any kind. sigh. At least this is my winter beater (94 Subaru Legacy) and not my summer car. Its not worth going through my insurance because the part cost $35 at the local junkyards.

I am [censored] that someone has the nerve to damage my property and then does not own up to it. It cost me my time and my money.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. I know it could be worse but it still inconveniences me and I feel like the driver of the other car flipped me off and is still doing it every second I look at the car.

My parents had that happen to their 2003 Malibu a few months ago. Rear tail light was smashed out overnight with no note. I've had my car hit in the rear bumper pretty hard in a parking lot at my college with no note as well. Left a huge scrape and broke it loose at the clip connecting it to the rear fender. Also recently someone hit the front bumper of my car, although not as hard, leaving a ~3" scrape.

Once I lived in a triplex where some really obnoxious college students lived below me. I was already on the phone with the police because of a fight on the lawn when one of the partygoers got into their huge truck, drove across the street onto someone's lawn, and backed up all the way across the lawn, the street, and into my car.

They drove off, of course, but the police caught up to them and charged them with DWI and hit and run. At least they had insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back