Higher Molly oils for a Porsche 991 996

Big picture and in general, wasn't it recently established in another thread that thin oil is acceptable for grocery shopping, average Joe, typical daily and low(er) RPM driving ... or for example going to a cafe for refreshments! ;)

BMW or Porsche and low RPMs somehow don't go together ... granted I see a lot of "average" drivers driving one.
true fact. for porche yes i can accept that.but for bmw why? porshe and bmw its not the same thing. i can accept that for a porche but for bmws ,the company here in europe has lower cc engines. from 1500 cc. isn't a bmw 1600cc engine a daily car? yes..then why they fail? if you remember bmw models from the '90s were still runnig with 1600 cc here in europe ,driven by average drivers and they had no problems..E46 is one of the most selling models here in europe. not many huge problems.just like any other daily car.and it was produced untill 2004.1600cc is for average drivers,if i am not wrong..1600cc is for better level drivers? isn't a 1600 cc a daliy intown family car too?

so a merc or an audi are daily cars but bmw is not? don't merc go for low rpms too?audi has 1000cc engine to their base..merc has 1300cc models.are these models for an advanced drivers? i doubt.is a X1 or X2 a sports car? or a car to carry your family safe from one point to another? this myth that bmw is for lowrpms is a fact for older models ONLY. a today SUV is not a sports car its a family daily car not a 2002 model.even though i am sure that a 2002 models ould be a good daily car too.a friend of mine has one for intown commute.and has no problems.

.bmw designed some engines that for the last 20 years failed..some E8X,E9X, and F4Χ engines were band designed.so its not just the low rpms ,but failed engines too.

if you go to a bmw shop in europe and you say you want to buy a regular bmw 1600,1500 cc for your daily use ,your average level, does the saler tells you ,sir bmw is not for average drivers ,its not for low rpms? BIG NO.

Not sure how this is in Sweden, however in my area the BMW is seen as a premium brand and naturally aspirated 1600cc was always seen as a "poor man's choice". Therefore all car enthusiasts who choose BMW as their daily driver due to the excellent handling, RWD fun, and good ergonomy rarely went for the 1600cc as it did not make any sense - financially nor technically. Therefore most of the 1600cc BMWs are really for grocery shopping and are driven by people who have car color at much higher priority than car acceleration.

its not sweden and 1600cc...its all over europe, millions of these engines were sold all around europe. the 316 is one of the most selling models,except your country. that is a fact and makes a lot of sense for the owners.if bmw wants to sell only to advanced drivers then should't produce these engines.your opinion is not far from all these fans of bmw .the elite fans who are the minority these days and live still at the ,''true horsepower is not the turbo'',rwd is the only choice and so on..romantic but not realistic..bmw wants to sell and they sell the 2 series and the 1 series and the x1 series.there arent just sports cars..and let me tell you something.
how exaclty you as enthusiast driver can feel the real rwd fun ? going to work? going your kids to school? handling yes but there are a lot of choices. i mean yes bmw has that sport feeling even in 1600cc,i have driven one,its fun too, rwd. even the the new one not rwd its fun too.
but thats not the case here.bmw sells it ''2 series and the 1 series and the x1 series'' so it must be working for what is sold, low rpms..period.bmw and premium don't match anymore.almost any model has serious defects, thats not premium.car that is not for track and its for transportation ,with or without fun, needs to do the job. when help assistance delivers so many bmws from the road to the service ,thats not premium and its not owners fault ,right chris? you are a mechanic, you fix them..porsche thats another story.

@svenson
Thanks for the explanation!

We currently have one lady family member with a BMW that drives even gentler than me. I don't drive slow but never step on it hard, never lug and never see RPM shooting near the redline. i.e. never in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear with very high RPMs. I'm typically under %60 of redline RPM when shifting and highway driving seems to be always under %50 redline RPM due to speed limits. As I mentioned, I never lug the engine either. For example when my auto trans in my v8 wants to be in the 6th (top) gear, I move it back to 4th or sometime let it go to 5th gear ... unless on a very flat freeway for the 6th gear. If I let the car (ECU) shift the gear for me, the RPM would be much much lower!

Now this lady is a very nice lady in case she's on this site ... lol but drives like a grandma. I don't get too excited about thin oil or Euro spec under these driving conditions. However, if her future son was to drive the car, I would recommend thick and Euro. And moly is ALWAYS recommended :ROFLMAO:

thats another myth from bmw fans..drive it to the limit.i do spiritual driving , i am heavy on the accelerator and i don't own a bmw with the smallest engine but 2 times i tried to reach the red limit i had red lights on with real problems after. maybe older cars or bigger engines would do fine but for my engine ,thanks not for me.so we can't generalise that all bmws are for sport driving because bmw is not porche.
and i agree with you ,from personal experience that i need a heavier oil not by grade ,by hths..sometimes there are exceptions to the rules. not all engines from one model are equally behaving and not all drivers are the same.

thats another myth from bmw fans..drive it to the limit.i do spiritual driving , i am heavy on the accelerator and i don't own a bmw with the smallest engine but 2 times i tried to reach the red limit i had red lights on with real problems after. maybe older cars or bigger engines would do fine but for my engine ,thanks not for me.so we can't generalise that all bmws are for sport driving because bmw is not porche.
and i agree with you ,from personal experience that i need a heavier oil not by grade ,by hths..sometimes there are exceptions to the rules. not all engines from one model are equally behaving and not all drivers are the same.
Wat

ok now I need help choosing. are they all going to do a good job if changed around the 5K mark.? Castrol, mobil, etc. id rather find the oil locally and not have to order it. no motul around these parts, no liquid Molly, I do have access to scamsoil, but honestly i'v e never been a fan of their marketing.

ok now I need help choosing. are they all going to do a good job if changed around the 5K mark.? Castrol, mobil, etc. id rather find the oil locally and not have to order it. no motul around these parts, no liquid Molly, I do have access to scamsoil, but honestly i'v e never been a fan of their marketing.
M1 15W-50 at WM.

Cheap and cheerful

Mobil 1™ FS 5W-40 has a Porsche A40 approval, is API SP rated, and its flash point is quite impressive.
Mobil 1™ FS X2 5W-50 also has a Porsche A40 approval.

As long as the oil pressure is sufficient I believe in Porsche approval and recent additive package meeting API SP more than in the need for high viscosity as such. I believe Porsche 996 has an oil pressure gauge so you can see if 5w-40 is sufficient for your driving conditions and style.

I do have access to scamsoil, but honestly i'v e never been a fan of their marketing.
Just because you don’t like the marketing, doesn’t mean Amsoil makes bad products. Quite the contrary… several people on the board have plenty of data showing they are very comparable to several fluids from M1, Redline, and other top-tier oils, gear oils, and transmission fluids. They work well.

What’s the difference with your yearly Costco or Sam’s Club or BJ’s membership vs Amsoil’s preferred customer discount? Not a d*** thing. You can buy comparable products without a volume discount by mail if you don’t want to buy a membership. But I’ll bet you’re paying for Prime, amirite??

Mobil 1™ FS 5W-40 has a Porsche A40 approval, is API SP rated, and its flash point is quite impressive.
Mobil 1™ FS X2 5W-50 also has a Porsche A40 approval.

As long as the oil pressure is sufficient I believe in Porsche approval and recent additive package meeting API SP more than in the need for high viscosity as such. I believe Porsche 996 has an oil pressure gauge so you can see if 5w-40 is sufficient for your driving conditions and style.
Yep. Other than that, the truth is that no oil will save those engines from their design flaws.

its not sweden and 1600cc...its all over europe, millions of these engines were sold all around europe. the 316 is one of the most selling models,except your country. that is a fact and makes a lot of sense for the owners.if bmw wants to sell only to advanced drivers then should't produce these engines.your opinion is not far from all these fans of bmw .the elite fans who are the minority these days and live still at the ,''true horsepower is not the turbo'',rwd is the only choice and so on..romantic but not realistic..bmw wants to sell and they sell the 2 series and the 1 series and the x1 series.there arent just sports cars..and let me tell you something.
how exaclty you as enthusiast driver can feel the real rwd fun ? going to work? going your kids to school? handling yes but there are a lot of choices. i mean yes bmw has that sport feeling even in 1600cc,i have driven one,its fun too, rwd. even the the new one not rwd its fun too.
but thats not the case here.bmw sells it ''2 series and the 1 series and the x1 series'' so it must be working for what is sold, low rpms..period.bmw and premium don't match anymore.almost any model has serious defects, thats not premium.car that is not for track and its for transportation ,with or without fun, needs to do the job. when help assistance delivers so many bmws from the road to the service ,thats not premium and its not owners fault ,right chris? you are a mechanic, you fix them..porsche thats another story.
The EU vehicle tax structure is in part based on displacement and petrol is taxed higher than diesel. This generates demand for sub-2.0 liter engines.

Years ago Amsoil tested Red Line against the TEOST test. And while the test is flawed and possibly meaningless, Red Line arguably failed it. That high moly level may be good for reducing friction at the cost of deposits. This was years ago though. Red Line scored a 30mg on that test. 30mg is the maximum level to pass.

"For GF-5, the maximum limit is 30 mg (except there is no limit for SAE 0W-20 oils because some Japanese OEMs recommend SAE 0W-20 oils with high molybdenum content which will not pass this test)."

Last edited:
Just because you don’t like the marketing, doesn’t mean Amsoil makes bad products. Quite the contrary… several people on the board have plenty of data showing they are very comparable to several fluids from M1, Redline, and other top-tier oils, gear oils, and transmission fluids. They work well.

What’s the difference with your yearly Costco or Sam’s Club or BJ’s membership vs Amsoil’s preferred customer discount? Not a d*** thing. You can buy comparable products without a volume discount by mail if you don’t want to buy a membership. But I’ll bet you’re paying for Prime, amirite??
no, not a prime person, don't like they political views so I don't support them. same with sams, and there isn't a Costco here.

When did the last BMW 316i exist? E46? A BMW 316i E46 LCI had an engine with 1796 ccm, not 1600 ccm. That said, it existed for limited period and was sold in some markets. Most important, it was never a megaseller. Very most European customers went for a 318i, 320i, 320d, 330i or 330d.
The last BMW 316i with 1600 ccm I remember was the 316i E30 LCI in the late 80s. Again most went for a 318i, 320i or 325i at that time.
Granted, the current G20 318i was build with a 1.5 l 3-pot engine for some time. Now this 318i comes with a 2.0 l inline-4 again (probably since 2021).

Btw, it's PORSCHE, not "porche". o_O

When did the last BMW 316i exist? E46? A BMW 316i E46 LCI had an engine with 1796 ccm, not 1600 ccm. That said, it existed for limited period and was sold in some markets. Most important, it was never a megaseller. Very most European customers went for a 318i, 320i, 320d, 330i or 330d.
The last BMW 316i with 1600 ccm I remember was the 316i E30 LCI in the late 80s. Again most went for a 318i, 320i or 325i at that time.

Isn’t porche French for patio? 🤣

Granted, the current G20 318i was build with a 1.5 l 3-pot engine for some time. Now this 318i comes with a 2.0 l inline-4 again (probably since 2021).

so i guess a mistake makes you a funny guy? right? like you never do one. cheap humor wise guy.you are one of these guys that a mistake enhance your opinion that you are right and i am wrong?
well, you have no idea about bmw sales.
bmw 316 was still produced after E46 ,for E90 and F30 wise guy..the only model that doesn't come with 1600 engine is the last model.and bmw had big sales with 1600 engine in south europe for tax reasons only.
and G20 in europe never came with 1500 engine..from the begginig its was build with 1998 cc engine. where do you cant these info? you are absolutely unrelated with bmw models.

true fact. for porche yes i can accept that.but for bmw why? porshe and bmw its not the same thing. i can accept that for a porche .......

A typo? Then a very special typo again and again.
However that's NOT my point. Typos do happen, but questionable claims are annoying.

The existence of the 3-pot 1.5 318i G20 (for a limited period of time) I seem be wrong. Believe me, anyway, I welcome BMW went to a four cylinder 2.0 again for the 318i G20. Since I couldn't find the 3-pot 318i (any 318i), as it's not part of the G20 range at launch in 2019....

... however I found a 3-pot 1.5 318i F30:

So that 3-pot 1.5 318i obviously did exist at least.
316i E90? Maybe for some mediterranean countries. It didn't exist in central Europe at least (most important European markets: Germany, UK, France, NOT Greece). This is the E90 2009 for the German market:

Yes, I'm a funny guy and I'm happy to notice you appreciate it, while you're the most serious forum member ever. Have a great thursday noon! 🤡 (y)

A typo? Then a very special typo again and again.
However that's NOT my point. Typos do happen, but questionable claims are annoying.

Yes, I'm a funny guy and I'm happy to notice you appreciate it, while you're the most serious forum member ever. Have a great thursday noon! 🤡 (y)
as i said again, i dont really care about typos thats why it happens again and again.as for Porsche :D- are you happy now?- i might mistyped the word but i did owned a 911 back in the '80s before you were even could spell the word.

there is a difference between an ironic funny guy 🤡and a really funny guy..when i see a real joke from you and not an irony then i will laugh .
most important European markets: Germany, UK, France, NOT Greece).
i don't really know why you mention'' NOT greece''..i am from Sweden, i live in north macedonia this year .is Sweden an important european market?
but thats not the point here..1600 cc.
the argument here was
BMW or Porsche and low RPMs somehow don't go together ... granted I see a lot of "average" drivers driving one.
many european markets ,important like these you mention and the less important -which i don't know any car company call them like that- are using downsized engines..bmw ,audi,mercedes..maybe in the most important markets don't drive so many of them but this changes through the years because gas prices are too high in europe . downsized engines gain more share in central europe even as a second car, or a third just for the short commute daily shopping.

and that means that if they are there ,they should do their work, they should do the job they were made for short commute.and since bmw -we are talking about- decided to produce such engines then low rpms and bmw should go together.

you couldn't say that for Porsche. because even though Porsche produces high rpms cars average drivers use it for short commute . why? because they want to show off.they could buy a bmw or a merc suv if they wanted but they want to use a Porsche, as a status symbol,the majority of them.

Back