High-temp oil for turbo car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Wow,does this even have any emissions hardware still installed? By rights,visual inspection is still required even in (Calif standards) New England.

Emission gear in place, passes the IM240 dyno check with flying colors...tame enough to do a 4500 mile road trip.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Isn't Shell Rotella T6 a Group III+ product? I think this case is one of the few in which it is appropriate to seek a product that is made with group IV/V base stocks because the conditions are so extreme.

I'd tend to agree, except that 1000 HP, highly boosted engines are what it is designed for. Granted, these are diesels with a lot more bearing surface.

Originally Posted By: JRed
How about M1/Bradd Penn/Valvoline Racing/etc. 15w-50?

No sense going for a 5w or 10w oil when the car is only being driven in warm weather.

Not exactly-its driven until the first snow. It sees subfreezing temps every year...coldest I recall was about 10 degrees. Also, the sooner oil gets to the turbo, the better!

The car has an oil cooler (it looks like a Dagwood sandwich behind the grille, with that, the trans cooler, & the A/C condenser, & the intercooler), the biggest we could fit. (It is a hydraulic cooler from a concrete mixer truck.) The cooler helped, highest oil temp was during a long, high speed (95+) run in 97 degree heat with the AC on.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Isn't Shell Rotella T6 a Group III+ product? I think this case is one of the few in which it is appropriate to seek a product that is made with group IV/V base stocks because the conditions are so extreme.

I'd tend to agree, except that 1000 HP, highly boosted engines are what it is designed for. Granted, these are diesels with a lot more bearing surface.

Are their oil temps remotely as high as the OP describes?

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
If you can find it, Penzoil Ultra is made in 10w-60, what Ferrari uses.

We only make it in 5 gallon pails...

As for my recommendation, Redline makes a 10W-60 product, online purchase most likely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

EDIT 2: OP, have you considered a liquid heat exchanger for the oil?

This is a good suggestion. I know that it were mine, I'd be investigating ways to lower the oil temp.

How is the car driven normally? What are the bearing clearances like? Those temps seem a bit high if you're out of the throttle a lot. Also, what are your hot oil pressure readings?

While I'll freely admit that my experience with big power turbo cars is quite limited, as I'm sure your aware, that engine isn't making 700hp all the time and I would expect the heat to be a bit more manageable while off the loud pedal.

EDIT: As for an oil recommendation, I'd say, Red Line, RLI or Amsoil. Any of these places you can call and get a knowledgeable person to help you purchase the correct product from their line.

Still curious.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
very-highly-modified 1986 Buick Grand National.

My favorite car of all time!
20.gif

+1!!

Any chance of getting some pictures of the car?

Last edited:
The oil temp gauge pretty much mirrors the boost gauge: even a short burst of heavy throttle will spike the oil temp. (Though coasting will drop it almost as fast.) Normal driving, it runs 180-230 degrees. A long highway run will have it around 225-250. The end of a dragstrip pass (burnout, stage, build boost against the converter on the line, and a quarter mile at WOT and full boost) will have it at 280-300. I should have been clearer: it does NOT see the extreme oil temps all the time! It doesn't even see them that often...but it DOES see them.

Even after seeeing this car go together (it was her first car, bought as a stock-and thrashed-theft recovery) I am still amazed how something this brutally fast can be so docile in everyday use.

Best I recall (car parked since Haloween weekend), oil pressure is about 30psi hot idle, builds quickly to about 70psi (maybe 2000RPM). Cold, it's 60-65 at idle, tops out at ~80 around 1500RPM and goes no higher. I have no idea of the bearing clearances, not sure she does, either. (Short-block was bought assembled.)

Stupid question: short of something like a nitro motor, is ANYTHING harder on oil than a high-boost, high-output turbo engine?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
for anything that high output you have to go Dominator.

A real race oil that actually wins races.

FWIW I run it in a very expensive blown Chevy BB stroker in a go-fast boat. Excellent results per oil analysis.

Have to admit I have never heard of it.

Awesome Car! That was out when I was 16 so needles to say I was in love. Still am.
Why not just run T6 normally and switch to more expensive synthetics when your gonna track it.

Mobil1 HM 10w40 or 10w30 maybe a great choice as well, its a very stout oil, reasonably priced and easily found. I would probably run a M1 HM if were my car. But as someone else said, we need picks!

Last edited:
The oil temp gauge pretty much mirrors the boost gauge: even a short burst of heavy throttle will spike the oil temp. (Though coasting will drop it almost as fast.) Normal driving, it runs 180-230 degrees. A long highway run will have it around 225-250. The end of a dragstrip pass (burnout, stage, build boost against the converter on the line, and a quarter mile at WOT and full boost) will have it at 280-300. I should have been clearer: it does NOT see the extreme oil temps all the time! It doesn't even see them that often...but it DOES see them.

Even after seeeing this car go together (it was her first car, bought as a stock-and thrashed-theft recovery) I am still amazed how something this brutally fast can be so docile in everyday use.

Best I recall (car parked since Haloween weekend), oil pressure is about 30psi hot idle, builds quickly to about 70psi (maybe 2000RPM). Cold, it's 60-65 at idle, tops out at ~80 around 1500RPM and goes no higher. I have no idea of the bearing clearances, not sure she does, either. (Short-block was bought assembled.)

Stupid question: short of something like a nitro motor, is ANYTHING harder on oil than a high-boost, high-output turbo engine?

Okay, so by the sounds of it, you've got more than enough oil pressure and your oil temps while high aren't nearly as bad as I first thought.

You have enough oil pressure that you could even go down one grade and possibly see a decrease in oil temp. I'd say give Red Line 5w-30 (It's really a 40 grade oil) a try and see where your oil pressure ends up. As long as you can still maintain 10+ psi per 1000rpm, you're going to be okay. Cold oil pressure is of no concern as long as it's not too high.

My (and her) concern is mostly that the gauge reads oil temp in the pan...how hot does it get at the turbo?

Originally Posted By: ABerns
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
very-highly-modified 1986 Buick Grand National.

My favorite car of all time!
20.gif

+1!!

Any chance of getting some pictures of the car?

With that Motorhead wife?

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
If you can find it, Penzoil Ultra is made in 10w-60, what Ferrari uses.

As dparm suggested, my understanding is that Ferrari uses a 5w-40 most of the time. The 10w-60 is mostly for track use and for certain cars like the Enzo.

My (and her) concern is mostly that the gauge reads oil temp in the pan...how hot does it get at the turbo?

Probably pretty darn warm.
wink.gif
"Flash heating" isn't quite as big of a deal as sustained sump temperatures. That being said, there are plenty of good suggestions in this thread. RP also has some nice oils (the old SL stuff or the current HPS series, or even their racing oils). M1 0w-40 is good, too, and perhaps Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 ESP. Personally, I wouldn't have any issue with the Castrol 5w-50, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back