Viscosity calculator

This got me thinking..
According to this chart, the recommendation is 5w30 or 10w30 at my oil temp with .0032 mains

I went with 5w50 as a guess on my part and I know someone else with same lifters that`s beem running the same with no issues.
That 10w40 redline will be the ticket.

As a side note, Ive never used Redline but it`s my favorite oil now.
Over the last 10 years and several different engine configurations I`ve tried Driven, M1, Amsoil signature, VR1, PennGrade and the Redline holds up the longest before I start losing oil pressure (M1 will come out water thin after 5hrs) and it`s the most consistent and higher oil pressure.

This got me thinking..
According to this chart, the recommendation is 5w30 or 10w30 at my oil temp with .0032 mains

I went with 5w50 as a guess on my part and I know someone else with same lifters that`s beem running the same with no issues.
That 10w40 redline will be the ticket.

As a side note, Ive never used Redline but it`s my favorite oil now.
Over the last 10 years and several different engine configurations I`ve tried Driven, M1, Amsoil signature, VR1, PennGrade and the Redline holds up the longest before I start losing oil pressure (M1 will come out water thin after 5hrs) and it`s the most consistent and higher oil pressure.

Given that most Redline oils are heavy for their grade, that isn't surprising, that they yield higher oil pressure.

Everyone I know with a big block Chevy uses 20W-50, but if the lifter mfg says to use 10W-40 then that's what I would use. FWIW I use 15W-40 truck oil in my 4.3 Mercruiser. A non high performance boat should be ok with truck oil.

Back