Oil Recommendation all aluminum LS1

I am certainly not against a *w40 but through all my research based on block material being aluminum, oil temps will exceed 220F, clearances, rpm, etc i keeping finding exactly as my engine builder stated. A *w50 oil is recommended. So im hesitant to go the *w40. Thanks again everyone

I am certainly not against a *w40 but through all my research based on block material being aluminum, oil temps will exceed 220F, clearances, rpm, etc i keeping finding exactly as my engine builder stated. A *w50 oil is recommended. So im hesitant to go the *w40. Thanks again everyone

I think you may have a hard time fighting physics on this one but good luck.

I think you may have a hard time fighting physics on this one but good luck.
I agree. A lifter change may be in order if i experience pump up issues with an oil over 15Cst at 100C. Just wanted too see if anyone could recommend a *w50 with a rating closest to 15 to try.

Do you have an external oil cooler fitted?

What is your LS1 going in?

If you can keep oil temps lower you may be in better shape. I have a flat plate UP cooler, with a spal fan in my FE powered Ford. All you really need is an oil filter adapter and a competent hydraulic hose builder.

Do you have an external oil cooler fitted?

What is your LS1 going in?

If you can keep oil temps lower you may be in better shape. I have a flat plate UP cooler, with a spal fan in my FE powered Ford. All you really need is an oil filter adapter and a competent hydraulic hose builder.
Its a gen 3 LS1. No i do not though. These engines run 220F at operating temperature, so we are guessing at the oil temps based on the fact we will see 220F coolant temps. The oil temps will obviously exceed the coolant temp. Especially on hard pulls. Once i have it running I'll monitor oil temps to get an exact reading, but for now we were just looking for an oil to keep things happy during that time. I wish Driven Oil provided technical data sheets for there oils. Im interested in the specs on DT50 vs HR3. I have emailed them with no response. Schaeffer's and Driven are my go to choices for my daily drivers so never really got into the technical data till now and wouldn't have thought twice about it until Morel told me the hydraulic lifters require certain Cst ratings to perform properly. So I've been studying everthing this site has to offer to get a better understanding of these properties.

I agree. A lifter change may be in order if i experience pump up issues with an oil over 15Cst at 100C. Just wanted too see if anyone could recommend a *w50 with a rating closest to 15 to try.
Renewable Lubricants Inc had 5W40 around 15Cst. However; formulas change. I would go direct with HPL and RLI.

5.7 L, 6500-7000 rpm, dual valve springs (open 380 lbs, seat 155 lbs), cam is 228/232 .606/.600 at .050. Thanks
That's a high level street performance cam on that displacement. I don't think you need a 50 grade - unless your builder is covering a mistake. That's heady over the nose pressure for a Hydraulic. Whats important here is preload and how careful the builder was with pushrod selection. Did you call Morel and discuss this? Are the lifter appropriate for the cam and springs?
I still think you would be OK with a high HTHS 40 grade - but I would NOT run a long life ACEA oil. The DP is too aggressive and is a compromise..

That's a high level street performance cam on that displacement. I don't think you need a 50 grade - unless your builder is covering a mistake. That's heady over the nose pressure for a Hydraulic. Whats important here is preload and how careful the builder was with pushrod selection. Did you call Morel and discuss this? Are the lifter appropriate for the cam and springs?
I still think you would be OK with a high HTHS 40 grade - but I would NOT run a long life ACEA oil. The DP is too aggressive and is a compromise..
Yes Morel said my open and closed pressures are fine for the lifter and camshaft lobe ramp rate. Preload is .060, morel spec, with a .120 full plunger travel. So halfway. This has been double checked by me personally with a dial indicator. Oil will changed every 3,000 miles or 6 months. Which ever comes 1st regardless. The engine was built a little looser then my liking being an aluminum block and the expansion rate of aluminum. It will open up those clearances quite a bit. What HTHS 40 would you recommend?

The problem is that there are two competing requirements that do not overlap. By definition, a SAE 50 weight oil is between 16.3 and 21.9 Cst at 100c. The only way to meet the 15 Cst requirement is to use a 40 weight.
I agree fully. I just thought instead of searching through all the data on different oils someone here might have VOA's or know personally of an oil that comes in close at 16.3 that i could try.

I agree fully. I just thought instead of searching through all the data on different oils someone here might have VOA's or know personally of an oil that comes in close at 16.3 that i could try.

Something like Mobil 5W50 will almost certainly shear down into a 40 grade. But that doesn't help you before it shears down.

1680204284668.jpg

1680204332309.jpg

The 4.4 HTHS will probably also keep those mains happy as their clearances that will grow to ~ .0035"+ at temp

Driven emailed me back. He simply sent DT50- Cst 100C is 16. That was all the data he supplied. Does anyone have the data sheet for Driven DT50 15W50? Thanks for all the replies. You all have been much help so far.

Unfortunately any Xw-50 will exceed 15 cSt at 100C. You'd have to drop down to a Xw-40 where the options are numerous.

Redline
Mobil 1
Motul
Shell

You're in a difficult spot with this conflict in recommended viscosities.

But he's running a bit hotter than that, and the lifters wouldn't know....

But he's running a bit hotter than that, and the lifters wouldn't know....
They definitely would not. That’s the really funny and silly thing about this, it’s very possible the oil will operate a temperature that changes this very specific “requirement” in the engine. Should he expect a failure when operating in the winter when the engine may never reach operating temperature?

They definitely would not. That’s the really funny and silly thing about this, it’s very possible the oil will operate a temperature that changes this very specific “requirement” in the engine. Should he expect a failure when operating in the winter when the engine may never reach operating temperature?
Agree, some of these “requirements” are curious, especially the Xw50 requirement for something that’s not significantly different from a stock LS1… my brother’s aluminum-blocked LS2/3 hybrid that sees shift points of 72-7300 and makes well over 600HP at the crank uses Rotella T6 and even uses factory LS3 rocker arms on the 242/254 .621/.610 cam, albeit with Comp Cams upgraded trunnions. I forget which exact valve springs are on it, but they’re PAC beehives. We put that together in 2006 or so after an issue with his 383, and it hasn’t been out of the car since.

The general rule is to listen to what the engine builder says for oil choice, except when it appears likely that the engine builder is either confused because they specify something that’s not possible, or an idiot.

As a side note, I’d personally question Driven as well if their tech line will only share a viscosity at 100C, and it seems even just that little bit of info may not be representative if we are to question the viscosity measured during an independent OA.

Back