High speed driving

The most important thing, as already mentioned, is looking further ahead and giving yourself more space. If you do that, worst case would be a sudden front tire failure causing a steering imbalance.

80 MPH is 33% faster than 60 MPH, so power required is a factor of 1.33^3 = 2.37. So if going 60 MPH takes about 30 HP, then 80 MPH takes about 71 HP. That's still less than half the engine's rated power, so you're not really taxing it. Gasoline car engines aren't designed to produce their max rated power continuously, but half should be no problem. And it's at high speed so there is plenty of airflow keeping everything cool.

I think it's actually good for the engine from a longevity & mechanical perspective. The only real drawback is fuel economy. Going 33% faster burns 1.33^2 = 1.78 times as much fuel to go the same distance, so expect roughly 1/1.78 = 56% of the MPG you get at 60 MPH. Plus or minus, depending on lots of other factors.

True- but many ppl have only 40 mph judgment!
True that. Also, most of our roads are not made for high-speed driving and in poor shape. Fact is, on most of our freeways the flow of traffic is more like 80 than 65mph. On I5, where I frequently drive, I see cars go over 100mph all then time. My assessment of 80mph not being fast is simply based on it not being fast enough to be detrimental to the engine.

Just me but I don't think "most" vehicles are at 4k RMP at 80mph highway cruising. Using my sig, the F150 and Outback are both under 3k RPM at 80mph cruising.

OP a largely highway 50 mile commute is heaven for your truck. There is "mileage" like your highway commute and then there is MILEAGE! The latter being of concern. Examples, repeated congested city driving, severe dusty conditions, frequent short trips, etc...
I was thinking more about a typical passenger car with a smallish 4-banger. 80mph is not unreasonable in terms of safety under decent conditions. That's about the most common speed limit in most countries on freeways.

This should be interesting:

Last edited:
I was thinking more about a typical passenger car with a smallish 4-banger. 80mph is not unreasonable in terms of safety under decent conditions. That's about the most common speed limit in most countries on freeways.

This should be interesting:

I didn't look at safety at all. I didn't think that was the question posed. Could be wrong as I do skim read at times. I wish I could tell ya what my 06 Sentra RMP was at 80mph but I cant :sick: No tach! Bare bones even windows are "rollies" as they call it in the ghetto!

I didn't look at safety at all. I didn't think that was the question posed. Could be wrong as I do skim read at times. I wish I could tell ya what my 06 Sentra RMP was at 80mph but I cant :sick: No tach! Bare bones even windows are "rollies" as they call it in the ghetto!
I saw the OP's question as related to engine health only. I maxed out a 20-year-old 1976 Super Beetle at 100 mph 20 years ago. I had a 75-pound sandbag in the trunk so I wouldn't go airborne.

I saw the OP's question as related to engine health only. I maxed out a 20-year-old 1976 Super Beetle at 100 mph 20 years ago. I had a 75-pound sandbag in the trunk so I wouldn't go airborne.

Love that RESPONSE!!! Classic.

I have a 2007 v6 4runner with 150k miles. I drive 80mph on the highway daily for about 50 miles a day. Can driving at this high of a speed be detrimental? If so, what do I need to pay attention to?
Toyota Sienna 110mph.JPG

My SIenna would leave your 4Runner in the dust!

I’d say you need to pay close attention to other drivers and cops at that speed.
I pass cops doing 80 often. They have bigger targets than me. Unless it's a slow day, 85+ seems to be where they will pull you over.

The problems happen on Friday evenings, weekends, and holidays when you get naïve drivers that aren't used to high speed driving on the NJTPK and think 65 mph in the left lane is acceptable behavior.

I say your fine. My question is where are you the the speed limit is 80? The fastest speed limit here in VA is 70 and in my opinion that’s too fast. I try not to go above 55.

In a crash you are almost guaranteed to die 95%+ of the time at speeds of 65mph or greater.

Once you get to those speeds you may as well be sitting your rear on a roller skate.
Or driving a motorcycle, they are all equally safe.

I’ve also had the experience that cars driven their whole life at 80mph + seem to burn oil once they get up past 150,000 miles,

do they fail?

Nope just seem to require more repairs, though the same can easily be true of city cars there is a happy medium

In a crash you are almost guaranteed to die 95%+ of the time at speeds of 65mph or greater.

Once you get to those speeds you may as well be sitting your rear on a roller skate.
Or driving a motorcycle, they are all equally safe.

I’ve also had the experience that cars driven their whole life at 80mph + seem to burn oil once they get up past 150,000 miles,

do they fail?

Nope just seem to require more repairs, though the same can easily be true of city cars there is a happy medium
Yikes, how do all those Germans survive on the Autobahn? It’s not the speed, it’s the sudden stop. I don’t see a lot of the Japanese “crotch rocket” bikes wrecked from their 100 MPH jaunts down I-75 southbound a few blocks from my bedroom window (can hear them screaming by all night in warm weather) either. Not defending vehicular insanity, but 80 on a rural interstate in the middle of nowhere & no traffic isn’t exactly Russian roulette!

I have a 2007 v6 4runner with 150k miles. I drive 80mph on the highway daily for about 50 miles a day. Can driving at this high of a speed be detrimental? If so, what do I need to pay attention to?
In an older 4Runner I'd be more concerned of a rollover at that speed if you get a flat or gust of wind or a sharp bend in the road. But frankly, why are you driving that thing 50 miles a day with Cali gas prices the way they are and how they will be this summer? What's it get at 80? Like 12 mpg? Your foot must be to the floor most of the time.

Yikes, how do all those Germans survive on the Autobahn? It’s not the speed, it’s the sudden stop. I don’t see a lot of the Japanese “crotch rocket” bikes wrecked from their 100 MPH jaunts down I-75 southbound a few blocks from my bedroom window (can hear them screaming by all night in warm weather) either. Not defending vehicular insanity, but 80 on a rural interstate in the middle of nowhere & no traffic isn’t exactly Russian roulette!
I read it as, "if you get in a crash..."

I hope not because I regularly do that and have even been guilty of 90-100mph at times.
regularly drive 82-85 mph on the highway here in Wyoming, and almost on every long trip do 120-130 mph for decently long periods without having to really put my foot down, engine couldn't careless, 2014 2GR-FE, still drains pretty clean at 98K miles and oil level always full at oil changes at 10-12k, not that the oil color is indication of anything.

I'm going to assume OP was kidding because that's normal speeds.

Back