how to lower hydrocarbons for emissions test ?

Parents had a vehicle fail because they drove it just 2 miles to the testing place, then it sat for probably 20 minutes. Truck probably had 20k on it. I told my mom to take it for a good drive then go back. Passed with flying colors.
I drove highway for 30 mins before my 2nd smog test, still failed.

I am the King of getting an oil-burning 95 Accord through dyno emissions. One center kicked me out for clogging their filters. That was towards the end of the car's life, it was unpassable by then. I think I still have the slip.

Fresh oil. Take the air filter out. Bottle of Guaranteed to Pass. Retard the distributor, it will get that exhaust HOT. These are some of the tricks. Bump the tires up to 50PSI to cut the rolling resistance down.
i changed oil, cleaned out the filter and used GTP, still didn't pass. how do i retard the distributor? I don't have tools.

i changed oil, cleaned out the filter and used GTP, still didn't pass. how do i retard the distributor? I don't have tools.

takes a wrench. There are two or three nuts or bolts. You loosen them, it has a small amount of adjustability. Enough to help, not enough to hurt anything I know this is a v6 but it's the same. \\

Don't retard the timing...a properly performed emission test will check timing as well, and fail you if it is out of spec.

Since you have no tools, and really not much knowledge of this kinda stuff...I think you'd be money ahead taking it to a shop who can properly diagnose and repair the car.

How much money have you thrown at it so far without solving anything?

When we had emissions testing my go to with an old car was to bump up the idle to near the max allowable rpm, get the motor good and hot on the highway first. Dont shut off the engine while waiting and add a liter of methyl hydrate to a 1/4 tank of fuel. Worked well on beaters that had trouble passing the test. In particular low speed or idle emissions.

Paco

Back