High speed driving

I generally drive 10 over on rural interstates, which usually means 80 mph. The five speed in the Club Sport is a close ratio box with a 1:1 ratio in fifth gear. Couple that with a 3.45:1 final drive and the motor is spinning at 4,000 rpm at 80. It doesn’t seem to bother the M42 motor at all. The car originally came with a ridiculous 116 mph speed limiter but the Conforti chip I installed removed it while also bumping the horsepower up a bit. It will now top out at a tick over 130 mph.

80 MPH is fine for your drivetrain. If you have the cruise set at 80 in top gear, that is fairly ideal. That truck is made to be able to tow a decent amount of weight (and something with serious wind drag) on the highway non-stop in a lower gear. 60 or 70 would be easier on it, but 80 is also no sweat. Much easier than driving around town. I used to work in an area of Texas that had 85 mph speed limits between two of my remote sites. I never heard of a truck that wasn't totally fine with that - and of course, people didn't go the limit - it was +10% usually. The bigger issue was the animals that crossed that road - hence the massive cow-catchers and bull bars that everyone ran. Many people that I knew would drive at the limit of their truck - some of the Fords were limited to ~92 mph, some GM products were limited to 100mph, I think the Toyotas were limited to 105 - but that was likely to get you noticed by the police. I never heard of anyone suffering ill effects, and frequently they would put a ton of miles on their trucks like that due to the distances involved. It was not uncommon to see 3-4 year old trucks with over 100K on them.

My Ford’s IOLM actually rewards that kind of thing. The counter will slow down for a few days after the completion of the trip.

PS. Yes. The rpms are more like 3k or a little under.

its the middle of no where, cops are far and few in between, I think driving between the mountain west to mid west, a lot of people have radar detectors, I follow them, every time I go back to Chicago or St. Louis or Kansas City (I'm from Midwest) always find people speeding, I just follow them while keeping reasonable distances, so achieving 120-130 mph is very normal, the fastest I drove was 3 hours of constant 125-130 mph from New Orleans up to St. Louis, the Tennessee plate drivers (saw it 3 times) seem to be the one not caring and just flooring it, then my 2014 Avalon was new to me so I wanted to see if it could keep up and how a V6 drives on a long drive (my first V6) and it was fun!
What kind of RPM are you at going 120? How bad was your mpg?

What kind of RPM are you at going 120? How bad was your mpg?
My GS400 loves to cruise high speed. A year ago the freeways were empty & I could do 100 without being the fastest car on the road. 44mi to work & OBC said 22mpg doing that, it'll read 23-24 going 85. 85 in the middle lanes in Socal is normal everyday flow

In the UK most of our motorway speed limits are 70mph. That said a lot of areas are getting 50mph limits which is highly fustrating with regular speed cameras.

On open, dry days most people will cruise at 80-90mph. If caught at 100mph or above (or 30mph above any speed limit for that matter) then it's reported to the court and you can expect a driving ban and a large fine.

every time I go back to Chicago or St. Louis or Kansas City (I'm from Midwest) always find people speeding, I just follow them while keeping reasonable distances, so achieving 120-130 mph is very normal,

I can't imagine doing speeds like that even in middle of nowhere Illinois.

The only speeding ticket I've gotten in my life was on I-64 in Wayne County, IL. Straight road on a sunny day with almost no traffic, and what little traffic there was was mostly passing me by with me doing 80-90. I came out of a clump of trees and a Sheriff's deputy came out after me-he clocked me at 82 in a 70. The whole interaction was polite and courteous, but I halfway expected him to pull out a credit card reader for me to pay on the spot. It almost felt like nothing more than a "Yeah, you weren't doing anything unsafe, but give us $120 for you doing it." I paid it, no contest, because it was correct and I was speeding, but it made me iffy about speeding anywhere in the state. I now live in a small incorporated village outside St. Louis, and the speed limit on the main street through town drops from 45 to 35 at the city limits. I've known people stopped for 37 through there, and it's rare that I drive through there without seeing someone pulled over or at least seeing a car or two waiting. I keep it to about 32-33 just to avoid any question.

Coming home from the bay area, had the cruise control at 80 on Interstate 5 southbound in the Regal GS, rpm was at 2100, still had cars passing me, about the only things going slower were trucks and people pulling trailers. ;)

Back