High speed driving

I pass cops doing 80 often. They have bigger targets than me. Unless it's a slow day, 85+ seems to be where they will pull you over.

The problems happen on Friday evenings, weekends, and holidays when you get naïve drivers that aren't used to high speed driving on the NJTPK and think 65 mph in the left lane is acceptable behavior.
This. The times I commute it's a free for all because everyone is doing the same thing. A couple of miles of it are a six lane road through a dense commercial area. Nothing is open at 7:00, so it's all of us blowing straight through there.
I can't drive that road on the weekend. Way too frustrating.
As for the highway, I had a week where I started work at 6:00am, so I was dealing with an entirely different set of commuters. My 82-85mph cruise in was right lane only stuff. Most of the people were clocking speeds much higher than that. I was out of place.
I checked yesterday and ~ 82mph my engine is spinning around 2200rpm. No big deal.

80 mph is not fast. That's only around 4,000 RPM in most modern engines.
What are you driving that 80 is 4,000 RPM? None of my cars even the truck see that kind of RPM at 80. Towing the trailer at 65 I can be under 2000. In the rest of the cars? At 4000 RPM in final over drive, well I would need bail money.

regularly drive 82-85 mph on the highway here in Wyoming, and almost on every long trip do 120-130 mph for decently long periods without having to really put my foot down, engine couldn't careless, 2014 2GR-FE, still drains pretty clean at 98K miles and oil level always full at oil changes at 10-12k, not that the oil color is indication of anything.

I'm going to assume OP was kidding because that's normal speeds.
120 to 130 miles per hour ,what the actual speed limit ?
Man around here that gets you , towed ,license suspension , and a lovely date with a judge you don't want, and oh ya the insurance company drooling buckets thinking of the money they are going to take from you now.

I recently had an interstate drive in the f150. Its got stiffer shocks in the back, a rear hellwig anti-sway, camper shell, and 18” tires at 38psi. It was hilly, curvy interstate im not very familiar with, and i hit it in dense traffic. The speed limit varied from 55-70, but traffic wanted anything fro 45 for the 18 wheelers on climbs to well over 80 for everyone else. While the engine probably loafs along at 2200 rpm or so at 80 with an incredible amount in reserve to spool up and pass, the truck itself simply cant handle maneuvers well at that speed. 80 seemed the “safest” spot for me to blend in, but there were constant lane changes for everyone because of the disparate speeds on this road. When i lived in DC, drivers were so much better about cooperative speeds ... but on this stretch there wasnt as much ”pack thinking”. Anyway, while our lexus might have been much safer to handle traffic positioning at those speeds, the f150 was not, and i didnt enjoy it. The engine likely couldnt care less.

Just me but I don't think "most" vehicles are at 4k RMP at 80mph highway cruising. Using my sig, the F150 and Outback are both under 3k RPM at 80mph cruising.

OP a largely highway 50 mile commute is heaven for your truck. There is "mileage" like your highway commute and then there is MILEAGE! The latter being of concern. Examples, repeated congested city driving, severe dusty conditions, frequent short trips, etc...
CX-5 is around 2700 RPM at 80. 85 takes it to 3k. 95 is well above. Haven't sustained higher than 95 for long enough to glance at RPMs. ;-)

I pass cops doing 80 often. They have bigger targets than me. Unless it's a slow day, 85+ seems to be where they will pull you over.

The problems happen on Friday evenings, weekends, and holidays when you get naïve drivers that aren't used to high speed driving on the NJTPK and think 65 mph in the left lane is acceptable behavior.
Former, NNJ native, I still miss the "racetrack" on 287 between Parsippany and the Wayne/Pompton Lakes area. Not a lot of places for cops to sit and the places they did, were always the same.

What a fun road to drive, especially when it was cooler weather and I had my Grand Prix GTP. I'd be in boost most of my drive home from work, always with an eye out. Helped that my drive home was 9-10pm so the highway was mostly empty. Fun times, and from my observations, unless you were being particularly reckless, or clearly inattentive, cops weren't interested in you. The only place I commonly saw people pulled over was at the bottom of the hill as you approached the 287/RT-23 interchange. The same goes heading southbound, generally rare to see people pulled over until you got down near the 287/80 interchange. I wonder if that has changed in the 6 or so years since I moved out NJ.

My SIenna is Nascar edition. You don't stand a chance! Pick a track :)
Mine is an ex rental, we all know rentals are the fastest versions!

Man around here that gets you , towed ,license suspension , and a lovely date with a judge you don't want, and oh ya the insurance company drooling buckets thinking of the money they are going to take from you now.
We have lots of just vast, wide open spaces that are rarely if ever patrolled because why bother? Wyoming is the 10th largest state in size, 50th in population, and 49th in population density.

Last edited:
regularly drive 82-85 mph on the highway here in Wyoming, and almost on every long trip do 120-130 mph for decently long periods without having to really put my foot down, engine couldn't careless, 2014 2GR-FE, still drains pretty clean at 98K miles and oil level always full at oil changes at 10-12k, not that the oil color is indication of anything.

I'm going to assume OP was kidding because that's normal speeds.
Id though the OP was kidding too. 80 mph? Phhhht! 80 mph for hours on end is an engine's dream.

Mine is an ex rental, we all know rentals are the fastest versions!

We have lots of just vast, wide open spaces that are rarely if ever patrolled because why bother? Wyoming is the 10th largest state in size, 50th in population, and 49th in population density.
That is where I clocked my Sienna. I vaguely remember dusting off some Grand Caravan :ROFLMAO:

I have a 2007 v6 4runner with 150k miles. I drive 80mph on the highway daily for about 50 miles a day. Can driving at this high of a speed be detrimental? If so, what do I need to pay attention to?
when did 80 mph become high speed driving? I suppose it is in inclement weather, but it's just cruising when dry

Last time I was on the Autobahn, the company pool car - Ford Mondeo Diesel estate I had wouldn't go more than indicated 210km/h, but the Garmin showed we were actually going 193km/h. Most OEM's set the speedo to show a lower speed than actual for obvious legal reasons, expect up to 5% optimism in your dash needle.

GUYS
Thank you for all the responses :)

my concern isn’t just engine health. What about the tranny at these speeds? Do I need to do more fluid exchanges on it since higher speeds will cause higher fluid temps?
What about things like wheel bearings? Will this cause premature wear?
Stuff like that 🙃
Thanks brotatoes

GUYS
Thank you for all the responses :)

my concern isn’t just engine health. What about the tranny at these speeds? Do I need to do more fluid exchanges on it since higher speeds will cause higher fluid temps?
What about things like wheel bearings? Will this cause premature wear?
Stuff like that 🙃
Thanks brotatoes
My wife put a hair under 400k miles on her Rav4 and I estimate at least 300k of those miles were cruising at 85 mph. The tranny was neglected and it went to the junkyard with the original wheel bearings.

its the middle of no where, cops are far and few in between, I think driving between the mountain west to mid west, a lot of people have radar detectors, I follow them, every time I go back to Chicago or St. Louis or Kansas City (I'm from Midwest) always find people speeding, I just follow them while keeping reasonable distances, so achieving 120-130 mph is very normal, the fastest I drove was 3 hours of constant 125-130 mph from New Orleans up to St. Louis, the Tennessee plate drivers (saw it 3 times) seem to be the one not caring and just flooring it, then my 2014 Avalon was new to me so I wanted to see if it could keep up and how a V6 drives on a long drive (my first V6) and it was fun!

I drove was 3 hours of constant 125-130 mph from New Orleans up to St. Louis, the Tennessee plate drivers (saw it 3 times) seem to be the one not caring and just flooring it, then my 2014 Avalon was new to me so I wanted to see if it could keep up
So were you just bouncing off the speed governor all the time?

Back