High quality 5W40 for BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
The LM "Synthoil High tech" is PAO, for sure.
https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/synthoil-high-tech-5w-40-p000339.html#1855
Most others from LM are HC, Gropup III.

It´s a good habbit to buy Products made in your Country, i try the same here, if possible. (y)

At the moment, i favour ROWE from all german Oils. Als UOAs of ROWE oils where very good.
LM is decent quality, best selling oil here in German since years.
Ravenol had more then once problems. Latley a UOA in the German Oil Forum showed that their top-racing product oil was missing the heavily advertised tungsten completly.... go figure.
Tungsten, gold and platinum may not show up in a voa, unless they are looking for it.

The LM "Synthoil High tech" is PAO, for sure.
https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/synthoil-high-tech-5w-40-p000339.html#1855
Most others from LM are HC, Gropup III.

It´s a good habbit to buy Products made in your Country, i try the same here, if possible. (y)

At the moment, i favour ROWE from all german Oils. Als UOAs of ROWE oils where very good.
LM is decent quality, best selling oil here in German since years.
Ravenol had more then once problems. Latley a UOA in the German Oil Forum showed that their top-racing product oil was missing the heavily advertised tungsten completly.... go figure.
No LM that has current approvals is PAO.
That is OLD formula. It is so old that most oils at that time having those approvals had much more PAO or Ester.
Liqui Moly is company that made huge marketing out of Hydrocracked technology. Remember that almost all of their bottles in the end of 90’s had HC Technology labels, like that is some add on performance.

That is OLD formula. It is so old that most oils at that time having those approvals had much more PAO or Ester.
Liqui Moly is company that made huge marketing out of Hydrocracked technology. Remember that almost all of their bottles in the end of 90’s had HC Technology labels, like that is some add on performance.
The Synthoil 5w40 and 10w60 are still mostly PAO, otherwise they would not be sold in Germany as Vollsyntetisch.

And here in Europe , the Synthoil 5w40 can also be found "in disguise" , in the form of Meguin Super Leichtlauf 5W-40 ( Meguin is owned by LM ) , for a much better price :)

You really hate LM, dont you? ;)

Yes, the synthoil is "dated", but neverthelss a good oil, real PAO and a good add pack. VOA:

Marketing... What about Motul wich sold HC oil as PAO in Germany? Thats not merketing, that was simply fraud. :mad:
But Motul get prasied her constantly for their "Fullsynth Ester oil". Go figure. That is marketing!

The OP want a oil wich carrys the old BMW LL98 and LL01 approvals, PAO preferd. The LM fits the bill. Also does the ROWE:
VOA: https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/1948-rowe-hightec-synth-rs-5w-40/

There’s a boatload of information about everything pertaining to oil on this forum already, but I haven’t seen anything directly answering my question yet. I’m looking for a 5W40 oil for my 1995 BMW M3, so BMW LL-01 or the older LL-98 approvals preferred. What oils combine high quality base stocks (Ester/PAO) and additive packs with high ZDDP? Currently leaning toward Motul 8100 X-cess Gen 2. Also, am I overthinking the benefits of Ester and PAO oils?
LL98 was relegated to the dust bin decades ago. Any 5w40 with the LL01 specification will be exponentially better than what LL98 had to offer almost 30 years ago.

Remember an oil is a blend of various base oils, additives, etc. For example PAO has great cold weather properties but poor seal compatibility which is why it's blended with something else. . HC/SHC (Severe hydrocracked aka Group 3(3+)) can meet or exceed the capabilities of PAO in some applications. Basically what I'm saying is that final blended product is what matters.

The majors offer great products at low prices. Mobil 1, Castrol, Shell (aka Pennzoil, Quaker State).

Last edited:
You really hate LM, dont you? ;)

Yes, the synthoil is "dated", but neverthelss a good oil, real PAO and a good add pack. VOA:

Marketing... What about Motul wich sold HC oil as PAO in Germany? Thats not merketing, that was simply fraud. :mad:
But Motul get prasied her constantly for their "Fullsynth Ester oil". Go figure. That is marketing!

The OP want a oil wich carrys the old BMW LL98 and LL01 approvals, PAO preferd. The LM fits the bill. Also does the ROWE:
VOA: https://oil-club.de/index.php?thread/1948-rowe-hightec-synth-rs-5w-40/
So, your argument is: yes, LM is shady, but look, others are too?
Every single Euro oil on the shelves in Wal mart is better than that Liqui Moly.

Also, a lot of synthetic oils from 1970's had high PAO and Ester %. Would you use it in B58?

This one:

This oil is Fully synth, mainly PAO. And it is really well liked in the german oil Club forum.

Some UOA:

...and so on.. you could do your own search:

This one:

This oil is Fully synth, mainly PAO. And it is really well liked in the german oil Club forum.

Some UOA:

The only source I'm aware of in the US has it advertised as HC base oil
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rowe-parts/hightec-synt-rs-engine-oil-5w-40-5-liter/21063-538-03~row/

This one:

Some UOA:

Not to get completely off topic, but you do know that UOAs are not the proper tool to assess how well it’s protecting your engine, right? You may gather some trends and assess if it’s wearing similarly to other engines in that family, but it will usually not show impending doom or other severe damage. Plus, you need more than just a handful of samples before you can really trend the “happy zone” for your engine.

Many people these days change oil brands too often to really get statistically significant trends; maybe @dnewton3 could chime in since he’s likely the most experienced and least emotional about correlating what a UOA can actually tell us.

OP, any oil that meets the spec should be delivering statistically similar results for wear (because it’s meeting a given spec), but oil choice should be driven by it being in grade spec and having some residual TBN at the end of the given OCI. If both answers are not yes, either OCI must be shortened, a different oil must be chosen, or both. 👍🏻

@ edyvw: You dont like LM, i dont like Motul.
We both have reasons for our opinion. It´s so easy. Peace. :)
There is no liking or not liking.
LM you put somehow still carries LL-98. BMW doesn’t even approve oils for that for a long time.
Other oils, have LL-01.
Motul is not found in Wal Mart. I referred to other oils that are far superior, cheaper, and readily available.

Tungsten, gold and platinum may not show up in a voa, unless they are looking for it.

Yes.

Surprise, Ravenol has Confessed that they run of tungsten in Production and used other Friction Modfifiers instead for a short time.
In their racing oil wich they advertise heavily as "With tungsten"

Posting. Nr. 84 here in this thread:

Posting Nr. 84 Translated:

"Hello everyone, the employee responsible is unfortunately still on sick leave (I really wish him a speedy recovery), but I was finally able to clarify the situation today: A few days in May 2022, due to supply difficulties, production actually had to resort to additional organic friction modifiers (OFMs - Organic Friction Modifiers) (such as N-tallow-alkyltrimethylenedi) instead of tungsten. The OFMs are more expensive than metal-containing friction modifiers (such as tungsten, molybdenum and sometimes boron), but are very important and effective. This means that this bottling was in no way inferior in terms of friction properties, but was even higher quality and more expensive to produce. It concerns the following bottling at RUP: Bottling date: 05/30/2022 Batch number: W22007131 By the way, the third part of the video from full load deals exactly with the topic of friction modifier additives from minute 6:45. And at minute 7:45 the Alex also talks about the organic FMs. Here is the (very informative) video again: Video: Part 3/5 Motor Oil Additives So in the end it all looks more harmless than I thought. The unfortunate circumstance was that my contact person on the subject had been on sick leave for a long time. And they didn't want to disrupt the lines of communication"

Most members of the forum where not amused about this, thread was locked. You could translate the whole thread with Google translator and read the whole story.

The only PAO oil that fits the bill wich is left for the OP is Red Line, i assume.
Why not? A little bit expensive but it´s the "Real deal", PAO and ester.

The only PAO oil that fits the bill wich is left for the OP is Red Line, i assume.
Why not? A little bit expensive but it´s the "Real deal", PAO and ester.
Other than not having the name of the certification, what is wrong with the 5w40 Euro PCEO oil from HPL? It meets Daimler 229.5 which appears to meet/exceed every requirement of BMW LL-01, is certainly made with PAO (-71*F pour point), and I would bet money for 10 oil changes that HPL’s additives are higher quality and result in better engine protection than the competitors, including today’s Redline oils.

Since OPs engine is at least 2 decades out of warranty, what is the harm in using an oil that far exceeds the original requirements even though it doesn’t carry OEM approval? LL-01 wasn’t made from unicorn tears… That’s my $.02, anyways.

1677046698190.jpg

Attachments

• 43F4F1B0-D53B-4A68-8AD8-DF86CB8C9EF2.jpeg
    43F4F1B0-D53B-4A68-8AD8-DF86CB8C9EF2.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 23
Yes.

Surprise, Ravenol has Confessed that they run of tungsten in Production and used other Friction Modfifiers instead for a short time.
In their racing oil wich they advertise heavily as "With tungsten"

Posting. Nr. 84 here in this thread:

Posting Nr. 84 Translated:

"Hello everyone, the employee responsible is unfortunately still on sick leave (I really wish him a speedy recovery), but I was finally able to clarify the situation today: A few days in May 2022, due to supply difficulties, production actually had to resort to additional organic friction modifiers (OFMs - Organic Friction Modifiers) (such as N-tallow-alkyltrimethylenedi) instead of tungsten. The OFMs are more expensive than metal-containing friction modifiers (such as tungsten, molybdenum and sometimes boron), but are very important and effective. This means that this bottling was in no way inferior in terms of friction properties, but was even higher quality and more expensive to produce. It concerns the following bottling at RUP: Bottling date: 05/30/2022 Batch number: W22007131 By the way, the third part of the video from full load deals exactly with the topic of friction modifier additives from minute 6:45. And at minute 7:45 the Alex also talks about the organic FMs. Here is the (very informative) video again: Video: Part 3/5 Motor Oil Additives So in the end it all looks more harmless than I thought. The unfortunate circumstance was that my contact person on the subject had been on sick leave for a long time. And they didn't want to disrupt the lines of communication"

Most members of the forum where not amused about this, thread was locked. You could translate the whole thread with Google translator and read the whole story.
I did, but the de "gschmackle" was not translated to an English adjective or verb. Does it mean that someone put their thumb in the soup?

Last edited:
Other than not having the name of the certification, what is wrong with the 5w40 Euro PCEO oil from HPL? It meets Daimler 229.5 which appears to meet/exceed every requirement of BMW LL-01, is certainly made with PAO (-71*F pour point), and I would bet money for 10 oil changes that HPL’s additives are higher quality and result in better engine protection than the competitors, including today’s Redline oils.

Since OPs engine is at least 2 decades out of warranty, what is the harm in using an oil that far exceeds the original requirements even though it doesn’t carry OEM approval? LL-01 wasn’t made from unicorn tears… That’s my $.02, anyways.

View attachment 141551
Sounds like a great product! Similar price and performance to Redline. i had no prior knowledge of HPL’s reputation, hence why I never mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back