High Performance Lubricants PCMO Series

I have looked hi and low on your website for this info. Basically, does HPL have a 0W-20 oil that is Porsche C20 approved? I have a new Macan that will be under warranty for 4 years and cant take the chance of using a non approved oil.

Thank You
I would tell Porsche to pound sand and use HPL 10W20.

There ain't gonna be no warranty claim.

Of course it's not my Macan, but you do need to open 'er up now and then, friend.

:cool:

OP mentioned HPL and "C20 Approvals."

BTW Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 is a particular favorite of mine.
???

OP didn't, but @NewC6 did.

My main point, sorta missing is the usual RAH-RAH for "follow the warranty". That was my reason for chiming in. Not to promote any oil or viscosity.

NewC6 asked a pretty clear question., IMHO.

Go to Walmart. Buy 0W20 EXP2/whatever it's called meeting VW508/C20. Return oil. Receipt in hand for warranty-anxiety. Drive you car with better oil and not worry about something that will never be an issue in any universe anyway.

Thanks for clarifying Pablo.
There are definitely times I would sidestep approvals, based upon the quality of oil and drivetrain.
Me too. NEVER had a problem.

BUT I always make it clear. The most important thing are the EXACT WRITTEN words related to any call for lubricants by the manufacturer. The words, more often than not are NOT an obligatory imperative.

This is kinda entertaining.

These kind of comments don't seem to be evenly spread.

Where's @The Critic ?
How is this related to me?

My position is to use an approved oil and OEM intervals while in-warranty. Unless....you are okay with the possibility (however remote it may be) of no warranty coverage in the event of a claim.

Once outside of warranty, your call - since you are on your own.

Good info. But my take away is, like Amsoil it "meets or exceeds" but not truly "approved". So once I am out of warranty in 4 years, assuming I live that much longer, I will give them a try.
So, here is the thing with Warranties and Manufacturers: they're more amenable to working with you if you use the recommended lubricant, or if you use a high quality lubricant from a reputable manufacturer. I don't see a serious manufacturer deny a warranty if you used a high quality lubricant from a company like AMSOIL or HPL that was blended with a Porsche C20/VW508 additive package.

Say you used HPL Euro 0W-20 (C20/VW508 add pack) and you have an issue with your engine and the dealer and Porsche question you on the oil you used. I see no problem for @High Performance Lubricants providing adequate documentation showing that the oil you used is in fact a Porsche C20 engine oil, and it's manufactured as such. The beautiful thing about it is that HPL will also have your purchase info, and they can even furnish VOA information and probably FTIR signature that will in fact prove that you used their oil.

Manufacturers look for neglect and abuse, and if they don't find signs of either, you're in good shape.

Now, there are some like Hyundai/KIA that will go out of their way to deny engine warranties, or fix engine problems or transmission issue. Been there, done that, and I had every oil change recorded on Carfax. I've been given the runaround by them multiple times, so my wife and I decided to never again buy a vehicle from them.

How is this related to me?

My position is to use an approved oil and OEM intervals while in-warranty. Unless....you are okay with the possibility (however remote it may be) of no warranty coverage in the event of a claim.

Once outside of warranty, your call - since you are on your own.
My point exactly.

I find it interesting how many people are concerned about the warranty period, and not the period after that when they fully intend to own the car for years.

I personally run the highest quality oil I can find so that a) the warranty is not needed in the first place and b) I still have an engine in premium condition after the warranty has expired.

Because in order to get approved they would make the oils less quality basically dumbing them down for a dumb certification
I don't think that is an entirely accurate statement. The approved oils place certain attributes (e.g. emissions equipment compatibility, fuel economy) at a high priority than boutiques.

It just so happens than enthusiasts tend to value performance attributes that are more in-line with what boutique products cater to.

I find it interesting how many people are concerned about the warranty period, and not the period after that when they fully intend to own the car for years.

I personally run the highest quality oil I can find so that a) the warranty is not needed in the first place and b) I still have an engine in premium condition after the warranty has expired.
Warranty period is pretty long if you have an extended - I'm seeing more and more cars with warranties out to 10/125K or sometimes longer (diesel).

Not sure if many modern cars are worth owning beyond the 10-15 year mark nowadays, but that is a different discussion altogether.

Approvals can create a false sense of security.

IMV you are spot on.

Specifically with Macan, take care of the turbocharger and keep those rings clean-that's it.

Go to Walmart. Buy 0W20 EXP2/whatever it's called meeting VW508/C20. Return oil. Receipt in hand for warranty-anxiety. Drive you car with better oil and not worry about something that will never be an issue in any universe anyway.
Why not buy enough for two OCIs, then return it? This way you can run the premium oil for two OCI's, take full advantage of the extended OCI product you're paying a premium for, and have proof of a virtual OCI in between. I mean if you're going to cheat, go all out. ;)

Because in order to get approved they would make the oils less quality basically dumbing them down for a dumb certification
That would be true if they were using to much zddp and needed to use less to get below the threshold but that isnt the case here

Back