High Performance Lubricants No VII series engine oils.

They don't test for it.
It's been asked several times with responses from Dave@HPL to explain. If this is critical to you then an oil with approvals etc. is your go-to if you want to see those numbers. When you go with oils like this, you accept that you may not get all the data and put your faith so to say in the company and their track record.
Makes you wonder how/why an imprecise test can be used as a “standard” of gauging the quality of an oil, eh? Not really sure why some people get such a woody for Noack while simultaneously slamming Blackstone for their imprecise fuel percentage… 🤣

NOACK is very important, and Mr. David Ward (@High Performance Lubricants) knows this. The entire premise for the NO-VII series of oils was low NOACK. Funny story: I suggested the 5W-30 Euro (or at least I was one of those who suggested it) and then promptly apologized because I thought it wasn't possible. Privately I also suggested a NO-VII 0W-20, but that's really pushing it.

Imagine my surprise when I got the news that it was in fact possible to blend the NO-VII 5W-30 Euro. For me it wasn't as much about low NOACK, as it was about not wanting any VII in my oil. I know HPL uses high quality polymers, but I just wanted a NO-VII engine oil. And I got it, so I am very grateful for that. And of course, I would love to see the TGA Noack Test for the NO-VII 5W-30 Euro, or at the very least see some data showcasing how it compares to current HPL products and/or off the shelf lubes.

That being said, the TGA Noack Test results that @High Performance Lubricants runs on their oils are considered proprietary. The TGA Noack Test is very precise and repeatable, unlike the traditional "old-school" NOACK test.

I've seen several folks here, including long time members, question HPL to a ridiculous extent about NOACK, to the point where it's become nearly an obsession. Anyone who purchases HPL products can send samples out to the many labs out there and run FTIR, NOACK, Elemental Analysis, and other tests, if they wish to do so. @High Performance Lubricants can't stop customers from doing so, neither would they want to. Consequently, those who have doubts about HPL motor oils, but still want to use them, are more than welcome to do so.

Recently I've come across the PDF document below. I think it does a very good job explaining how the TGA Noack Test is performed, and why it is better than the traditional NOACK test method. I encourage everyone who had questions or concerns as to why HPL is using the TGA method to read the document bellow. It's a short read that should clear things up pretty quickly.

app_the-tga-noack-test-for-the-assessment-of-engine-oil-volatility-1_Page_1.jpg

app_the-tga-noack-test-for-the-assessment-of-engine-oil-volatility-1_Page_2.jpg

app_the-tga-noack-test-for-the-assessment-of-engine-oil-volatility-1_Page_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
NOACK is very important, and Mr. David Ward (@High Performance Lubricants) knows this. The entire premise for the NO-VII series of oils was low NOACK. Funny story: I suggested the 5W-30 Euro (or at least I was one of those who suggested it) and then promptly apologized because I thought it wasn't possible. Privately I also suggested a NO-VII 0W-20, but that's really pushing it.

Imagine my surprise when I got the news that it was in fact possible to blend the NO-VII 5W-30 Euro. For me it wasn't as much about low NOACK, as it was about not wanting any VII in my oil. I know HPL uses high quality polymers, but I just wanted a NO-VII engine oil. And I got it, so I am very grateful for that. And of course, I would love to see the TGA Noack Test for the NO-VII 5W-30 Euro, or at the very least see some data showcasing how it compares to current HPL products and/or off the shelf lubes.

That being said, the TGA Noack Test results that @High Performance Lubricants runs on their oils are considered proprietary. The TGA Noack Test is very precise and repeatable, unlike the traditional "old-school" NOACK test.

I've seen several folks here, including long time members, question HPL to a ridiculous extent about NOACK, to the point where it's become nearly an obsession. Anyone who purchases HPL products can send samples out to the many labs out there and run FTIR, NOACK, Elemental Analysis, and other tests, if they wish to do so. @High Performance Lubricants can't stop customers from doing so, neither would they want to. Consequently, those who have doubts about HPL motor oils, but still want to use them, are more than welcome to do so.

Recently I've come across the PDF document below. I think it does a very good job explaining how the TGA Noack Test is performed, and why it is better than the traditional NOACK test method. I encourage everyone who had questions or concerns as to why HPL is using the TGA method to read the document bellow. It's a short read that should clear things up pretty quickly.

We’re living on the same wavelength as far as @High Performance Lubricants is concerned: it’s the cat’s meow, and we’re lucky to have David and his team delivering exactly what we only DREAMED about even just one election cycle ago (even though HPL has been pleasing customers since 2015).

While I know HPL in my wife’s Transit Connect is purely overkill and likely seen as stupid to some members, I am going to use it even in that application- as a way to say thank you to David and the HPL team. It’s money well spent IMO, and that’s the only opinion that matters.

To paraphrase the JG Wentworth commercials, “It’s my money and I want to spend it, now, with High Performance Lubricants!” 🤣

A quick shout-out to our favorite oil blender who’s currently enjoying the races heading into the Daytona Weekend- Thanks Dave!

The 10W-30 Euro Oil is perfect, better HTHS numbers than there 5W-30, and the Pour Point is not much different. No point in using a 0W-20 or a 5W-20, HPL's 5W-30 and 10W-30 No VII oils have better cold flow numbers than other thinner oils.

We’re living on the same wavelength as far as @High Performance Lubricants is concerned: it’s the cat’s meow, and we’re lucky to have David and his team delivering exactly what we only DREAMED about even just one election cycle ago (even though HPL has been pleasing customers since 2015).
Awesome! Pleasse remember to like and share! 👍

I haven't tried the new 5w20 HPL oil in my truck yet because I have a few thousand miles left on
the current oil change. But, I am looking forward to running it in my 2002 Ford F-150 FX4
with the 4.6 - 2 valve engine.
I'm also going to change the oil pan gasket on our old 2003 Ford Taurus SES with the DOHC
3.0 engine and run HPL 5w20 in it. The pan gasket is leaking but, the old car still runs great
and only has 148,000 miles. My wife has owned it since new. Now she drives a 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE. Which I have HPL 0w16 ready for it and it's next oil change.
Now, I'm trying to determine what oil filter to use with the oil for my 2002 Ford truck. . I'll do a lot of research but, if anyone has any suggestions I'll be glad to take them into consideration.
The old truck has only 151,000 original miles and I've kept her in great shape ever since I purchased it long ago.

Awesome! Pleasse remember to like and share! 👍
Rod, thanks so much for posting - especially #343 with the fountain of info - just the type of stuff I spend hours searching for and yet lots of times a person can be bouncing all around what they are searching for yet miss it time and again. (y) It is what I love about BITOG. There may be days on end of nothing but clowning and not much of posting anything of real value. Then one day BOOM, someone hits another home run with posts full of the stuff many of us need or want to see! :)

[Flame suit on]

Why are VIIs undesirable?
Because they increase a final product’s propensity for mechanical shear, which will significantly impact the oil’s performance as compared to new oil. Less VII means the oil’s viscosity curve is more stable over the entire OCI, all other things being equal.

Because they increase a final product’s propensity for mechanical shear, which will significantly impact the oil’s performance as compared to new oil. Less VII means the oil’s viscosity curve is more stable over the entire OCI, all other things being equal.
Is that true for  all VIIs? I thought it was dependent on the quality of the VII that's actually being used.

One of the two kinds (I forget the names) is a little more susceptible to shear, but in general terms, yes, IIRC, both types suffer from mechanical shear concerns.
One is star-shaped (a central connection point) and the other is like spaghetti. Both instances shrink when cold, making the oil “thinner”, and when they expand when hot they act thicker. They modify the final product viscosity via this mechanism.

One is star-shaped (a central connection point) and the other is like spaghetti. Both instances shrink when cold, making the oil “thinner”, and when they expand when hot they act thicker. They modify the final product viscosity via this mechanism.
I recall there being three VIs that HPL uses ... two types of stranded and the star. I wouldn't mind having that made clearer.

As I understand it they eventually stop responding (ravel, unravel) to changes in temperature. This could result in a permeant drop in viscosity. There are different types of VII's which have different performance attributes and vary in cost.

At what Temperature do VII's stop responding? What kind of changes in Oil Temperature are we talking about?

Back