High Performance Lubricants No VII series engine oils.

I wonder if there was a significant amount of the previous fill left, just a tiny amount of VII from that could thicken the new oil
I think possible residual oil could be the real reason.

I have a short run of mobil 1 0w20 in my mazda now, before i switch to the 10w20. I did not want the 0w40 i usually run , to throw off the uoa later.

What do you guys think about the 5w30 non VII in a small ( 212cc) generator? Would it be too difficult to recoil start in 10-30f weather ?

What do you guys think about the 5w30 non VII in a small ( 212cc) generator? Would it be too difficult to recoil start in 10-30f weather ?
What does the generator call for? I don’t see how its cold temperature performance could be worse than other 5W-30 synthetics.

Last edited:
Switched my Mazda and Elantra over to HPL.

Mazda out - Mobil 1 0w20
In HPL euro no VII 10w20.

Elantra out- Castrol edge 5w40
In HPL euro no VII 10w20

Both with ultra filters.
IMG_20230130_145942975_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230130_161324425_HDR.jpg

You are gonna want to change it early.
Thats the thing. How long do i run it. I have seen @wwillson post his pics with dealer oil that looked pretty bad. I thought well i've run nothing but pennzoil platinum on the elantra since new, maybe one run of supertech and the last run was castrol.

But then i saw your pics where you ran it on mobil 1 all its life too.

I'm now thinking 5k for the first run. More concerned with the elantra since it has 100k, mazda only 32k.

Thats the thing. How long do i run it. I have seen @wwillson post his pics with dealer oil that looked pretty bad. I thought well i've run nothing but pennzoil platinum on the elantra since new, maybe one run of supertech and the last run was castrol.

I'm now thinking 5k for the first run. More concerned with the elantra since it has 100k, mazda only 32k.
Yeah, 5K sounds safe IMHO. I'm quite interested to see what your filter looks like, lol

Yeah, 5K sounds safe IMHO. I'm quite interested to see what your filter looks like, lol
I got a cutter for christmas, so i will cut them. I'm thinking there might not be much in the mazda as it has a lot of fuel dilution, but who knows.

Even after a 15mile drive today before changing oil, the mazda oil reeked of fuel when dumped, and its over 50f today.

It will take a while to put 5k on the mazda, it sits a lot. Might be 6 months or more.

My truck is rapidly approaching 5k on HPL PCMO 5w30 and a Fram XG10575. I hate taking off the filter this early, but I’m interested to see what’s been liberated from inside the engine. I’ve had 3 runs (ok, 2.1 runs) of Ravenol DXG, one 6k run of MC (dealer error) and a 2k mile run of PP Euro 0w40 over the past 35k miles since I got it at 24k.

Hi @High Performance Lubricants ! These are impressive products!

You mentioned in another thread that the esters in the cleaning product can help condition seals. Is that also true of the esters in the motor oil products?

If so, do those esters condition over the extended oil change intervals that you recommend or do they / their effect wear out?

Could you also comment on whether traditional additives that condition seals have any time / mileage limitations?

Lastly, would you put any time limitation on your oil usage or is it mostly mileage eg 15k miles over 3 years is as good as 15k miles in 1 year?

Yes the ester in the oil will be helpful for elastomers. No it is not something that goes away.
Not knowing the formulation of other peoples products makes it hard for me to comment on that. My feeling is I would not expect those to have a short life either.

With respect to life, our oils are very oxidation stable and have a healthy TBN. 15,000 miles and 3 years on a non fuel dilutor would not scare me.

David

Yes the ester in the oil will be helpful for elastomers. No it is not something that goes away.
Not knowing the formulation of other peoples products makes it hard for me to comment on that. My feeling is I would not expect those to have a short life either.

With respect to life, our oils are very oxidation stable and have a healthy TBN. 15,000 miles and 3 years on a non fuel dilutor would not scare me.

David
Hi Dave,

Would you feel comfortable going 15,000 miles ( HPL PP top line ) if the car has a very small oil capacity ( 3.3 litre )?

Obviously, a UOA would be the only way to prove that, but curious.

Thanks,

Mark

Well, I did it. I just ordered 6 quarts of HPL 5w20 Synthetic Oil for my 2002 Ford F-150 FX4
4.6 - 2 valve engine.
After reading so much good info here and, at the HPL website, I figured, why not?
Appears to be an extremely good oil and their base and additive package seems to be
top notch. Will be here by Thursday, the 9th.
(And I'm an Amsoil Guy), Maybe I'll switch! Ya never know.

Last edited:
Back