High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner

Would HPL (or anyone) recommend running the engine cleaner, specifically EC30, during the winter (with appropriate grade oil) or only running the EC30 during the warmer months?

Thanks.

Supplementing the EC at the recommended dose of 1 quart to 5 quarts of oil will have some affect on the cold temperature properties but not drastically so. Blending the EC 30 with a 0W-30 or 0W-40 should still be plenty safe down to 0°F or so. You may want a block heater for added peace of mind though a block heater is a good idea for winter startup anyway.

Someone please remind me again....if I want to get a qt of the EC sub'd for one qt of regular oil AND get the 15% BITOG discount...how do I do that? Do I use "BITOGFLUSH15" giving me the 15% discount and that code tells them to sub out 1 t for the EC OR do I have to add the EC to my cart as well? I did this before but don't recall what I did. Getting ready to order some more 5W40 Euro and think I'm going to run the No-VII 5W30 PCMO in my son's Focus since he'll be auto crossing/tracking it several times this year. May as well run the EC along with it.

Someone please remind me again....if I want to get a qt of the EC sub'd for one qt of regular oil AND get the 15% BITOG discount...how do I do that? Do I use "BITOGFLUSH15" giving me the 15% discount and that code tells them to sub out 1 t for the EC OR do I have to add the EC to my cart as well? I did this before but don't recall what I did. Getting ready to order some more 5W40 Euro and think I'm going to run the No-VII 5W30 PCMO in my son's Focus since he'll be auto crossing/tracking it several times this year. May as well run the EC along with it.

That's correct.

My HPL EC 30 results: 2014 Jeep Patriot (new 3/13), 2.4L GEMA engine, 117,000 miles, started slight oil consumption about 90K+ (8 - 12oz/6K OCI). Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra 5w20 entire life at 6 K OCI. Fram Ultra XG10060

Assuming the engine was relatively clean, I did not follow instructions. I added 1 qt. EC30 (5 qt sump) at 3.5K miles of 6K OCI, for 3 months run time until oil change.

Filter dissection looks normal. I let the filter media sit 4 days on absorbent toweling. I cannot see visual particles on media nor in the can. I CAN feel substantial fine grittyness when rubbing my finger between exterior media pleats. Much finer than sugar, bigger than talc (difficult to describe). Right picture = finger rub from pleats onto white paper

- Is this carbon cleaned by the EC30?? I have no benchmark "before" trial.
- I'm going to monitor oil consumption on next OCI's to see if cleaning helped.
- I have another bottle of EC30 to use in the future.

Comments/suggestions welcome (flame suit on). Thank you.
7-23 Ultra Media.jpg
7-23 Ultra Finger Rub (2).jpg

Last edited:
Time for some Focus flushing! CRC intake valve cleaner. LM Engine Flush. Then Supertech 5W20 syn + HPL 30 EC. Figure 3K interval this go then may switch him over to the HPL No-VII 5W20 or 30. Or maybe I'll just do the normal ~5K and change the filter half way...not sure. This car is so cheap to maintain/change oil probably just change out after a few K which will be by end of year for him.

20230715_131434.jpg

Last edited:
After a message conversation with David at HPL, he recommended 5W40 PCMO for my LS3 6.2 since I live in the desert. When I actually got around to placing the order this morning, I inadvertently ordered the Premium PCMO 5W40. Likely overkill for an NA daily driver, but oh well. Guess I picked the wrong week to stop eating spam and crackers...💸

Last edited:
I am new and about to try out the HPL EC 30 in my 2006 CR-V with 180,000 mi. I have been monitoring oil consumption on this car. Depending on oil type and driving habits, it burns about 1qt in 2000 mi (Supertech Advanced 5W-20) to 1qt in 1000 mi (Mobil 1 5W-20, PP HM 5W-30). It has a history of 3k oil changes using Quaker State dino 5W-20 and I have reason to believe it is dirty inside. The varnish is strong under the valve cover and crank pressure seems high. After changing the PCV valve and oil cap I have been experimenting with things that might help.

A couple weeks ago I treated it with ATS 505 and put in Amsoil 0W-30. It has since burned 0.5qt in 775 mi, so medium burn. The oil is pretty dark caramel already, so I think just the Amsoil is already doing some cleaning. I just refilled with 0.5qt of the HPL EC. Hopefully I'll see more cleaning and consumption drop in the next 775 mi as a result.

I plan to do a Berryman's piston soak at the end of this interval, then finally try HPL Premium 0W-30. I use Seafoam or other gas treatment in the tank roughly every third fill-up. If none of that works, then I am just going to give up and run some cheap 5W-30 Valvoline MaxLife I got on sale. Fingers crossed, and I'll update with results.

I am new and about to try out the HPL EC 30 in my 2006 CR-V with 180,000 mi. I have been monitoring oil consumption on this car. Depending on oil type and driving habits, it burns about 1qt in 2000 mi (Supertech Advanced 5W-20) to 1qt in 1000 mi (Mobil 1 5W-20, PP HM 5W-30). It has a history of 3k oil changes using Quaker State dino 5W-20 and I have reason to believe it is dirty inside. The varnish is strong under the valve cover and crank pressure seems high. After changing the PCV valve and oil cap I have been experimenting with things that might help.

A couple weeks ago I treated it with ATS 505 and put in Amsoil 0W-30. It has since burned 0.5qt in 775 mi, so medium burn. The oil is pretty dark caramel already, so I think just the Amsoil is already doing some cleaning. I just refilled with 0.5qt of the HPL EC. Hopefully I'll see more cleaning and consumption drop in the next 775 mi as a result.

I plan to do a Berryman's piston soak at the end of this interval, then finally try HPL Premium 0W-30. I use Seafoam or other gas treatment in the tank roughly every third fill-up. If none of that works, then I am just going to give up and run some cheap 5W-30 Valvoline MaxLife I got on sale. Fingers crossed, and I'll update with results.

Welcome to this Interesting Forum, realize that you are now using a different oil and you are seeing some Oil Usage. I do not want to speculate anymore, but my advice would be to call Dave at HPL and discuss everything with him.

Welcome to this Interesting Forum, realize that you are now using a different oil and you are seeing some Oil Usage. I do not want to speculate anymore, but my advice would be to call Dave at HPL and discuss everything with him.
Woah, I had no idea that was an option. I am pretty committed to my plan already since I already have the materials, but if he has advice that differs significantly I'd certainly follow it. I understand they advise a filter change after 2000 mi. I know I could use No VII or a 40 weight, but I bought the 0W-30 already because I wasn't sure if I was also going to use it in my 2019 Tacoma which will not see a change until next year, so will be run through the winter.

Woah, I had no idea that was an option. I am pretty committed to my plan already since I already have the materials, but if he has advice that differs significantly I'd certainly follow it. I understand they advise a filter change after 2000 mi. I know I could use No VII or a 40 weight, but I bought the 0W-30 already because I wasn't sure if I was also going to use it in my 2019 Tacoma which will not see a change until next year, so will be run through the winter.
So you bought the HPL 0W-30 oil, do you what you are doing with there Engine Cleaner and then go on 2 there 0W-30 Oil. Dave at HPL is a great guy to talk with, I have talked with him, and I know alot about oil, well I think I know. My point is, he answered all of my questions and I had no comeback.

450 mi into the above plan and since adding the half quart of HPL EC 30 there has been no discernible loss. Either it’s working to free the rings, there are other more mysterious factors at play, or I overfilled last time (unlikely). It’s too early to call, but I’m surprised and encouraged.

I did run a tank of Amsoil “Performance Improver” in this interval as well.

Last edited:
So, which one of you sent DIY Dave some free HPL? Because I identify as DIY Dave and will gladly accept some free HPL as well. :p
Jk. I'm just happy to see HPL getting the publicity outside of BITOG or racing events.

P.S. Who's gonna tell him that it's not "Number 7"?

Saw these videos last week and left some comments.

Back