High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner

It can be added midway through an OCI. However, in order to get the full effectiveness of the cleaner, it's best to add it with a fresh oil change. The high ester content will dissolve pre-existing sludge that then goes into suspension. Having fresh oil ensures sufficient active detergent and dispersant additive to properly contain these particles, neutralize them, and prevent agglomeration so they can be properly filtered out. Having a new filter is also best for capturing said particles.

The ratio isn't a critical spec so long as the cleaner is below 20% of the total oil capacity. A ratio of 1 quart to 5 quarts engine oil (16.7%) is an ideal ratio for good cleaning at an appropriate rate and without hindering the effectiveness of anti-wear and friction modifier additives in the oil. If you have a 5 quart sump, substituting 1 quart is still okay. No harm should come from that. If you have a small 4 quart sump, using only a 1/2-3/4 of a quart is advised. So long as you're in a 10-20% concentration window, the cleaner will do its job.

16.66% compared to 20%. No biggie, we aren't baking cakes.
I get that...but if someone thought that is the official dilution rate and then decided to fudge it a bit more...then we start getting some stacking errors. Best to keep it as accurate as possible and let folks make their own decision on adjustment or fudge factor from there.

16.66% compared to 20%. No biggie, we aren't baking cakes.
I have one quart in a 5 quart sump vehicle and one quart in a 6 quart sump vehicle. I didn't feel the need to open another quart to make up the difference in the 6 quart sump. The product should work in both vehicles, granted maybe not quite as well as it should if I were to go by ounces per quart of oil dosing. The 6 quart sump vehicle will get a second treatment at the next OCI.

I have one quart in a 5 quart sump vehicle and one quart in a 6 quart sump vehicle. I didn't feel the need to open another quart to make up the difference in the 6 quart sump. The product should work in both vehicles, granted maybe not quite as well as it should if I were to go by ounces per quart of oil dosing. The 6 quart sump vehicle will get a second treatment at the next OCI.
The one quart cleaner in 6 quart sump is the company's recommended rate. Your one quart cleaner in 5 quart sump is a bit higher, but as stated above, members here don't think that is a problem.

If it’s not, let us know. Considering you’ve run all those LM additives in the past, I’m sure the EC will be busy…. 😂🍿🤷‍♂️
On the contrary, I'm sure it's spotless, all the seals are good, the cam adjusters won't stick again (thank you SeaFoam!), and my timing chain will get another 10 years. Also, I'll be flushing that all out with 2 cans of LM Engine Flush before draining for a "complete cleanse".

I used 2 qts of the EC for my 9L fill Passat W8. It's a bit over the recommended...I'm sure it's fine....
I added a quart into a 9qt fill on a GX460(1UR-FE). I think the cleaner is too dilute to do good but I’m not draining the oil anytime soon.

Truck saw mostly bulk Kendall/QS 0W-20(when it was serviced at the Lexus dealer) or Pennzoil/Havoline when it was serviced at the local quick lube.

I doubt it's too dilute.

POE (depending on the exact variant used) can hold about 5x as much stuff in suspension than regular gpII or gpIII oil can. AN a bit less, but still 2x better than regular oil.

A quart into a gallon or a quart into 9 qts, it still holds the same amount. Cleaning up deposits will take a bit longer but it'll get there just the same.

My HPL EC is nearing the recommended 2,000 miles since being added to my existing oil. Should I switch to straight HPL Euro 5W-40 for further cleaning or run another shortish cycle (2,000 - 5,000) miles of something like Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 + HPL EC? Pros/cons of each approach?

My HPL EC is nearing the recommended 2,000 miles since being added to my existing oil. Should I switch to straight HPL Euro 5W-40 for further cleaning or run another shortish cycle (2,000 - 5,000) miles of something like Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 + HPL EC? Pros/cons of each approach?
Run it out to 5k then dump and fill w the HPL

You could do a blotter test if you feel confident enough

Drained the Passat yesterday. Ran the EC for ~2K miles..oil had about 4K on it. Didn't note anything odd or anything in the oil filter.

20230115_154048.jpg

Drained the Passat yesterday. Ran the EC for ~2K miles..oil had about 4K on it. Didn't note anything odd or anything in the oil filter.

View attachment 135808
I ran it for 4Kmiles in my 08 Liberty with the same filter, nothing odd in the oil or the filter either. The oil color remained consistent with prior changes. I used it a second time and plan on running it for a 5K OCI. It is in my 88 E-150 as well, it's too soon for a report. My gut is telling me it might do a bit of cleaning in there, simply because of the age, short tripping, and the quality of the oil from three+ decades ago vs. today.

I ran it for 4Kmiles in my 08 Liberty with the same filter, nothing odd in the oil or the filter either. The oil color remained consistent with prior changes. I used it a second time and plan on running it for a 5K OCI. It is in my 88 E-150 as well, it's too soon for a report. My gut is telling me it might do a bit of cleaning in there, simply because of the age, short tripping, and the quality of the oil from three+ decades ago vs. today.
I also used 2x cans of LM engine flush prior to draining. I'll likely switch over to HPL Euro 5W40 like my Sportwagen on my next change which should keep things nice and tidy going forward.

I ordered 2 bottles yesterday afternoon. Got notice just a few hours later that it shipped! I love vendors that have their act together.

Don't forget to use the BITOG discount code. Thank you High Performance Lubricants.

Ordered HPL EC for 2017 Tahoe - just gonna use 1 quart in 8 quart system hopefully give the rings some love … doubt there is sludge or varnish running mostly M1 AP 0W20 well under rated capabilities … +/- 70k on engine …
When changing the oil filter that makes room - so will be going in +/- midway in OCI …

Back