High Mileage oils for Euro cars

BMW nowhere has track demands. Only manufacturer that has specific track demands on oil is Porsche.
BMW does have demand on tough oxidation, and I think, they have some specific demands on base stocks in order to prolong life of gaskets.
Ferrari has recommendations on oil if the car is frequently tracked. Usually a 10w-60, where the normal oil is a 5w-40.

All cars have oil leaks, as in every brand of car, when viewed in the context of the post I was replying should make that fairly obvious.

No brand of car is immune to oil leaks

And BMW are no more prone to oil leaks than any other brand.
seals, plastics, gaskets ,rubbers are all crap with bmw, recycled crap. rubbish. i had a leak in almost every engine part , my friend too, bmw again..worst leak automobile i ever had!
and Italians are not very famous for engine reliability, you know..but the german one wins the prize of leaks.from my personal experience..and in every bmw forum i checked , english among them, everybody says the same thing, BMWs=leaks

seals, plastics, gaskets ,rubbers are all crap with bmw, recycled crap. rubbish. i had a leak in almost every engine part , my friend too, bmw again..worst leak automobile i ever had!
and Italians are not very famous for engine reliability, you know..but the german one wins the prize of leaks.from my personal experience..and in every bmw forum i checked , english among them, everybody says the same thing, BMWs=leaks
It's not a problem but it's a feature. BMW wants owners to periodically inspect the valvetrain, coolant system and rod bearings every 60k-100k miles. ;)

Last edited:
Yawn

My 2002 Jag XKR has been getting Mobil 1 0w-40 european formula for the 70,000 miles / 5 years of my ownership. Total miles on the car to date is 182,000. So far, no oil leaks & no consumption. It’s a daily driver.

To my antiquated way of thinking, a car that doesn’t use a measurable amount of oil and only has 182,000 miles doesn’t need a special “high mileage” oil.

I am just kidding myself ? Should I be using a Mobil 1 high mileage formula ?

Z

Last edited:
My 2002 Jag XKR has been getting Mobil 1 0w-40 european formula for the 70,000 miles / 5 years of my ownership. Total miles on the car to date is 182,000. So far, no oil leaks & no consumption. It’s a daily driver.

To my antiquated way of thinking, a car that doesn’t use a measurable amount of oil and only has 182,000 miles doesn’t need a special “high mileage” oil.

I am just kidding myself ? Should I be using a Mobil 1 high mileage formula ?

Z
I have a 2001 BMW 540 M-Sport that I have owned essentially since new, and now has 349,300 miles. It has never been rebuilt and only has had a steady diet of BMW approved LL-01 oils...0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40 or 5w-40. It has never consumed more than 1/4 quart of oil in my 7500 mile oil change intervals. (which is half the recommended 15k change interval). The M62 engine is notorious for oil leaks. I just get them fixed when it springs another leak....valve covers, timing chain covers, rear main seal....

Last edited:
I have a 2001 BMW 540 M-Sport that I have owned essentially since new, and now has 349,300 miles. It has never been rebuilt and only has had a steady diet of BMW approved LL-01 oils...0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40 or 5w-40. It has never consumed more than 1/4 quart of oil in my 7500 mile oil change intervals. (which is half the recommended 15k change interval). The M62 engine is notorious for oil leaks. I just get them fixed when it springs another leak....valve covers, timing chain covers, rear main seal....
All vehicles have something wrong, there are much worse than gasket leaks.

2014 Touareg TDI, just went past 100k last month and I've owned it since around 30k, used heavily for towing and no leaks. Every 10k dealer oil change just to 100% protect the TDI warranty (plus why not, they charge $130 and it costs me $100 in oil to do it myself lol) and in between every 5k I did my own change with Castrol Edge Pro until the 85k change I started using AMSOIL.

Now, the '83 944 has developed a valve cover leak which is no easy job as you have to disconnect the timing belt, etc. In it's defense it has sat unused for the last 3 years and in fact has only been driven about 1500 miles in the past 7 years due to being constantly broken lol. It is in fact broken right now and getting a new clutch slave and master and a couple calipers rebuilt. Maybe I'll throw some M1 in it when it comes home and see if it seals it up until next year when it gets it's timing service. :D

All vehicles have something wrong, there are much worse than gasket leaks.
actually i would like to open a new thread about this. automotive brands and their problems.to say each one's car brand, model, years of possession and what problems they gad through all these year. its nice to know. unless there is one in bitog already.

actually i would like to open a new thread about this. automotive brands and their problems.to say each one's car brand, model, years of possession and what problems they gad through all these year. its nice to know. unless there is one in bitog already.
That would be interesting😁. I usually buy Toyota (old) because they are easy to work on. I personally don't own a garage. So its easier for me, expect for winter. (Did change valve cover gasket on the Rav4 when it was -16C). Thats was no fun.

Back