High mileage oil for 04 silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 04 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 in it. I've been running pp 5w30 in it and recently I've noticed some blue smoke on start up, then it goes away. My thought is valve seals but I can't afford to replace right now I wanted to run some high mileage oil in the truck as it has 160k on it. What oil do you recommend? I was thinking valvoline full syn with Max life. Any other options?

Hi,

Do you see blue smoke at every start up? how about excellerating from a stoplight? under heavy load?

If it's only during a cold start maybe the heavier oil will help, but if you get it during cold and hot starts and excellerating from a stoplight or under heavy load the oil won't help much.

In my case on a old Chrysler 318 V8, when I pulled the rocker arms and springs off, there were no valve seals left! They baked rock-hard then cracked off on the exhaust valves since they run hotter then the intakes!

It's not worth it in this truck as I'm selling soon. Just want to see if I can reduce it til summer. It's not burning a lot. Just a small cloud on cold starts after it sits over night. I know dexos spec doesnt qualify for anything thicker than 30 weight. What thicker oil would be recommended? And the smoke is only on cold start. If it's doing it on hard acceleration or from lights I can't see it nearly like you can on cold start

Try Pennzoil High Mileage that worked for me for years it is blended on the high side of the scale if that is what you want although you are in NY and it gets cold there you can also try Mobil Super High Milesge 5w30 it is a syn blend and its not blended on the high (thick) side.. I am using the Mobil these days with good results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back