High-end filters Australia

I'm looking for a high-end filter for my future servicing requirements. Traditionally I've used OEM filters and haven't noticed any issues. I recenly bought a RYCO Z663 for the Commodore and actually took it back as the build quality looked a bit shabby. I ended up getting an OEM ACDelco (made in USA) for it.

I've done some research and come up with the following, for my Falcon in particular which uses a Z418 size filter:

• Amsoil EA15K51 - $30.50 - 98.7 % at 20 μm, synthetic media, silicon ADV, seems like good build quality, made in USA?
  • RYCO Syntec - $23.50 - 99.8 % at 25 μm, seems like a very similar construction to the Amsoil, probably made in China. I actually called Ryco and asked some for more details on the efficency at smaller particles sizes, and the fellow told me that the Z418ST is actually 98.7 % at 16 μm which is better than the Amsoil by a fair margin.
  • OEM Motorcraft - ~$20 - I believe these are the same as standard RYCOs?
  • Toyota OEM Denso - ~$23 - These filters have a good reputation, dual layer filter, good build construction, but still cellusose media I believe. Can't find any efficency data
  • ACDelco - Meant to be quite good filters, but efficency is nowhere near the RYCO ST or Amsoil: 87 % at 25 μm and only ~45% at 16 μm
Becasue of my background I had a look at some of the "heavy industry" filters that fit and wasn't particualy impressed:
  • Donaldson P550335 - $17 - These have a good name in heavy industry but don't appear to be anything special. 99 % at 40 μm
  • Fleetguard LF3874 - $8 - 95 % at 30 μm

I work in the mining industry and the amount of money we spent on filtration is spectactualar so I understand the value of quality filtration so not averse to spending a few extra $ per year on the best. On balance I think that the RYCO Syntec looks to be the clear winner.

As always it there needs to be a bit of interpretation of sales literture to find these efficencies, but I'm fairly confident in it. Thoughts?

If your main goal is filtering efficiency, then the Amsoil or RYCO Syntec seems to be the two filers to choose from. No Royal Purple (which has pretty good efficiency) available in Oz?

If your main goal is filtering efficiency, then the Amsoil or RYCO Syntec seems to be the two filers to choose from. No Royal Purple (which has pretty good efficiency) available in Oz?
Good suggestion. They are available here but are very expensive: >$45 each. Efficency seems the same as the Amsoil but not as good as the RYCO Syntec:

Edit: just checked, the one for my application is not carried by the Australian distributor.

ß25 = 100 (at 25 or greater micron, media is 99% efficient.)
ß20 = 75 (at 20 or greater micron, media is 98.7% efficient. Also considered absolute rating.)
ß10 = 5 (at 10 micron or greater, media is 80% efficient.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Sakura aka Sure Filter in the USA. I knoe Sakura is common in AU. Very well made filters in my experience

Last edited:
Ford #AA6E6714AA, $17.19.
OK, that's a funky one, I'm used to the North American labelling, like FL-820S.

AMSOIL lists the efficiency at 99% @ 20 microns now for the newer EaO filters. At one point they indicated 98.7% at 15 microns.

The Donaldson has crap efficiency because it's a cellulose. If they had made a Synteq version, it would have significantly higher efficiency.

Also, interesting looking at the cross references, as they don't line-up. For example, if you look up the Fleetguard LF3874 on the Donaldson site, it crosses to the P502016, and subsequently the AMSOIL EAO57.

It looks like the threads are the same as the old FL-1A/PH8, but the gasket diameter is a touch different (Ford 302/351W, 300 I6...etc). If that filter fits, there are a LOT more options, including the Donaldson P169071 Synteq filter.

OK, that's a funky one, I'm used to the North American labelling, like FL-820S.

AMSOIL lists the efficiency at 99% @ 20 microns now for the newer EaO filters. At one point they indicated 98.7% at 15 microns.

The Donaldson has crap efficiency because it's a cellulose. If they had made a Synteq version, it would have significantly higher efficiency.

Also, interesting looking at the cross references, as they don't line-up. For example, if you look up the Fleetguard LF3874 on the Donaldson site, it crosses to the P502016, and subsequently the AMSOIL EAO57.

It looks like the threads are the same as the old FL-1A/PH8, but the gasket diameter is a touch different (Ford 302/351W, 300 I6...etc). If that filter fits, there are a LOT more options, including the Donaldson P169071 Synteq filter.

Thanks for that. I don't think the Donaldson P169071 will fit, it's much bigger diameter and length.

Looks like it's made by Purolator too, and made in the USA. Yeah, can't find a standard filter number like FL-820S.

The bloke at the Ford parts counter told me this morning it's the same as the Ecoboost 2.3L Mustang if that helps.

Thanks for that. I don't think the Donaldson P169071 will fit, it's much bigger diameter and length.
Yep, it's the big old Ford iron filter.
The bloke at the Ford parts counter told me this morning it's the same as the Ecoboost 2.3L Mustang if that helps.
If that's the case then the AMSOIL one you listed in the OP is correct, the EA15K51, but the pricing you guys have to pay is eye watering! I thought it was bad here in Canada!

I've never heard of RYCO, so can't advise you on that. The OE Ford filter should be a MH/Purolator product.

The dealer images show two very different base plates, one being a Purolator. It looks like the Ford# crosses to a 3614 equivalent, making the EA15K51, that @OVERKILL posted, is correct for you. Good luck!

I'm looking for a high-end filter for my future servicing requirements
You can get any of the American brands off Amazon AU. The fram ultra is on there for $20 AU if you are a member. Also, Purolator one, bosch, wix etc. You might have to buy a couple to get free shipping from the US though.

The ryco seems better priced now as well.

Last edited:
That would be a Motorcraft FL-910S. So anything that crosses over to a FL-910S should also fit.

Capture+_2022-02-22-19-42-32-1.jpg

Yeah - we had a 2017 2.3L Stang and used XG3614 … Same as my 19HP Briggs 😷
The FL-400S is the oversize filter, used on the Coyote. Good for 450+ HP. :D So could also cross other filters to the FL-400S.

The FL-400S is the oversize filter, used on the Coyote. Good for 450+ HP. :D So could also cross other filters to the FL-400S.

Yeah - used the Fram equivalent on our 2014 Fusion = mainly for 10k use and something longer to get a wrench on …
XG3600 IIRC …

You can get any of the American brands off Amazon AU. The fram ultra is on there for $20 AU if you are a member. Also, Purolator one, bosch, wix etc. You might have to buy a couple to get free shipping from the US though.

The ryco seems better priced now as well.
Thanks for that info, hadn't thought of Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestion on the longer filter too, will have to check clearance to see whether that'll work.

Back