Best Filter - GM 3.6L LGX/LGZ???

I recently purchased a 2021 GMC Canyon with the 3.6L LGZ engine with 20k miles. The LGZ is a twin to GM’s 3.6L LGX used in a variety of other GM vehicles. I’m not necessarily trying to stretch the life of the filter but more looking for the filter that is of the highest build quality, offers premium filtration, best components, made in USA if possible, etc.

The 3.6L LGZ/LGX uses a cartridge style filter.

So far, the ones on my good list are:
Amsoil – EA15K35-EA, $18.20
Royal Purple – 10-981, $17.88
K&N – HP-7027, $17.49
Fram – Synthetic Endurance – FE10246, $12.97
Fram – Ultra Synthetic – XG10246, $14.47
Fram – Titanium – FS10246, $20.82
Mobil1 - Extended Performance – M1C-257A, $10.40

Any thoughts on which one(s) are the best? Price isn’t really a concern but I’ve added them for the fun of it as an additional data point. Thanks!

I recently purchased a 2021 GMC Canyon with the 3.6L LGZ engine with 20k miles. The LGZ is a twin to GM’s 3.6L LGX used in a variety of other GM vehicles. I’m not necessarily trying to stretch the life of the filter but more looking for the filter that is of the highest build quality, offers premium filtration, best components, made in USA if possible, etc.

K&N – HP-7027, $17.49

Any thoughts on which one(s) are the best? Price isn’t really a concern but I’ve added them for the fun of it as an additional data point. Thanks!
"Premium Filtration" you can remove Mobil from the list. Otherwise you've pretty well summed up the common ones that come to mind. Some have been claiming that the Champ XL's are good efficiency but there is conflicting info regarding this.

The Fram Endurance is a no brainer from your list. It's the best all around & the cheapest cost.

K&N – HP-7027, $17.49

Withing my Oil Filter Value Analysis Database, I filtered out :) your choices above and included top three ranked filters that offer the highest overall value. The Amsoil and K&N are not in the database.

With your criteria of not stretching your OCI, USA made and build quality here are my recommendations based on the data below. I'll assume a 7,500 OCI maximum.

Price not a factor:
1. Fram Ultra Synthetic @$8.97
2. Fram Endurance @ 12.97*

*Keep in mind the incremental $4.00 is buying 25,000 mile filter life versus 20,000 and screen backing on the media.
With your OCI at 7,500 max you'll need to decide if these two will really matter. Both the Ultra and Endurance have the same filtering performance, silicone anti drain back and very good media.

Value:
1. Fram Tough Guard @$6.44
2. Purolator PureOne @$7.49

These two consistently come to the top because they have excellent filtering performance, filter life at 15,000 miles that would give you a 2X safety factor, silicone anti-drainback, synthetic within their media, made in USA and good pricing for the performance.

The only difference in the two is the Tough Guard uses fiber end caps and the PureOne uses metal. Personally because fiber is porous like the filter media, my perception is the bonding is more robust but I'll let the experts from our community share their thoughts.

Below the table you'll find the entire database for your shopping pleasure. Hope this helps!

1687275643104.jpg

^^^ OP mentioned his engine uses a cartridge style filter, so no ADBV and the end cap construction is most likely nylon/plastic.

Didn’t know about the cartridge and thought our engine was same…on ours We use the Wix 10255XP. At $6.63 each from
Rock, I just recently picked up 5 (6 changed the shipping charges).

In that case I’d try the WIX 57674XP

Thank you all for the advice! @John105 Funny you mention that... I just picked up a couple from RockAuto :) I had mentioned that in another post somewhere here and my filter decision was not well received.

I forget who said it but the impression was that it has poor filtering ability, even though it is WIX's premium filter intended for extended intervals. I think it will be just fine but it did prompt me to ask the question posted above... as to what the best filter would be.

K&N and Mobil both lame for their prices IMO and don't belong in that group.. Maybe they are on that list because of the name and marketing??... Regular Fram Ultra is so-so but there is the chance it will look microwaved after only 4 to 6k... and no reason to spend more than the Fram Endurance as I don't know what the Amsoil or RP or Titanium do better than the Endurance??

We have a '21 Acadia with the 3.6L LGX (I believe) and it does NOT have a cartridge filter. I use the 10575 series from Fram (Ultra, Titanium or Endurance).

I only use Fram Ultras, my experience with these filters. The dealer said GM needed to measure my engine wear no cost to me. I was not worried so I said yes. End result, you have no wear. They asked a question, how can this be the out come How does your engine have no wear? I said thanks have a good day. Always use a better oil then spec and always use a Fram Ultra.

I only use Fram Ultras, my experience with these filters. The dealer said GM needed to measure my engine wear no cost to me. I was not worried so I said yes. End result, you have no wear. They asked a question, how can this be the out come How does your engine have no wear? I said thanks have a good day. Always use a better oil then spec and always use a Fram Ultra.
How did the dealership measure the engine wear ... what testing was done?

How did the dealership measure the engine wear ... what testing was done?
It took 1/2 a day they said they took some measurements on different parts, I didnt ask parts. The Tech explained they also wanted pics of the cylinders which turned out to look just like new. The Tech said The cross hatching had zero wear as well. It only had 60k miles on it so not a big amount.

I'm only reporting this because some people are freaky of Fram anything. I only use Fram Ultras with Great results.
Cheers.

Back