Hyundai OEM Filters - Specific reason for low efficiency?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Mainia
Hyundai has a questionable OEM filter, "a swiss cheese" filter because they need to open up flow. But for some reason, weight and quality of manufacturing seems to trump actual low micron filtering performance by some people. I get it, better safe with the OEM filter as far as warranty. But in the USA we have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act, so we can use any filter speced for the car.

I had one in a 2013 Elantra GT at 14,000 miles. That was a piston to cylinder wall issue that was caught by me because the debris takes out the lifters and you get the Hyundai tick of death sound. That was on a motor that was not on the BS crank debris list they were hiding behind. I was running Mobil 1 and Fram Ultras at 3,000-3,500 change intervals because of my wife's short tripping in Minnesota winters. Hyundai wanted to void my warranty because of the Fram Ultra. Within i second after that was said in a vague way I might add. I said "you can't void my warranty by US law, The Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act says I have the right to use any filter I want as long as it was speced for that car." NOTHING was ever said after those words where spoke by me.

There have been many Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act discussions in this forum about this in the past. After the dust settled, it was shown that a car company can deny warranty IF they determined the aftermarket part was the actual cause of the failure.

So in the case of an oil filter that caused an engine related failure, Hyundai would say they were not going to cover the warranty, and instead tell you to contact the filter manufacturer to make a warranty claim. Now if a car company says (for example) that they weren't going to cover a blown out differential under warranty because of the aftermarket oil filter, then that's obviously wrong. Or if they denied warranty of a failed water pump on the engine because of the aftermarket oil filter, again obviously wrong.

Hyundai tried to deny my Elantra GTon the oil filter and that was put to a stop really quick. But that was dumb ars dealer BS at first, I guarantee you the Fram Ultra oil filter was brought up and it passed without question. They also have to prove it in court, otherwise it defaults to me winning and them covering it. They just can use a sweeping generality saying "sorry talk to Fram". Otherwise that is what they do in Canada, ha ha ha, not far from the truth, there. And with 300,000 Hyundai's needing new engines in 10 years because of oil/metallurgy/design issues, good luck in court Hyundai. Too many warranty worriers on top tier aftermarket filters, that worry never needs to happen. The last thing I want to run is a crap filtering oil filter for 100,000 miles on a car that get trashed on with sport driving, just because I am worrying about a filter warranty.

Now, I wanted to run an acu-sump or a racing baffled oil pan, but THERE is an opening where Hyundai could easily kill you on warranty if you had an oiling issue. Fearing that makes sense, fearing about warranty on Fram Ultra oil filter almost never. They would just put in a new motor.

Any Fram 9688 series oil filter will work just as well as the Hyundai OEM oil filter. Fram increased the burst pressure of all 9688 series filters a few years ago to exceed Hyundai's requirement.

I use the Fram Ultra Synthetic XG9688 on my Hyundai GDI engine without any issues even after multiple consecutive oil change intervals.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Hyundai has a questionable OEM filter, "a swiss cheese" filter because they need to open up flow. But for some reason, weight and quality of manufacturing seems to trump actual low micron filtering performance by some people. I get it, better safe with the OEM filter as far as warranty. But in the USA we have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act, so we can use any filter speced for the car.

I had one in a 2013 Elantra GT at 14,000 miles. That was a piston to cylinder wall issue that was caught by me because the debris takes out the lifters and you get the Hyundai tick of death sound. That was on a motor that was not on the BS crank debris list they were hiding behind. I was running Mobil 1 and Fram Ultras at 3,000-3,500 change intervals because of my wife's short tripping in Minnesota winters. Hyundai wanted to void my warranty because of the Fram Ultra. Within i second after that was said in a vague way I might add. I said "you can't void my warranty by US law, The Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act says I have the right to use any filter I want as long as it was speced for that car." NOTHING was ever said after those words where spoke by me.

There have been many Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act discussions in this forum about this in the past. After the dust settled, it was shown that a car company can deny warranty IF they determined the aftermarket part was the actual cause of the failure.

So in the case of an oil filter that caused an engine related failure, Hyundai would say they were not going to cover the warranty, and instead tell you to contact the filter manufacturer to make a warranty claim. Now if a car company says (for example) that they weren't going to cover a blown out differential under warranty because of the aftermarket oil filter, then that's obviously wrong. Or if they denied warranty of a failed water pump on the engine because of the aftermarket oil filter, again obviously wrong.

Hyundai tried to deny my Elantra GTon the oil filter and that was put to a stop really quick. But that was dumb ars dealer BS at first, I guarantee you the Fram Ultra oil filter was brought up and it passed without question. They also have to prove it in court, otherwise it defaults to me winning and them covering it. They just can use a sweeping generality saying "sorry talk to Fram". Otherwise that is what they do in Canada, ha ha ha, not far from the truth, there. And with 300,000 Hyundai's needing new engines in 10 years because of oil/metallurgy/design issues, good luck in court Hyundai. Too many warranty worriers on top tier aftermarket filters, that worry never needs to happen. The last thing I want to run is a crap filtering oil filter for 100,000 miles on a car that get trashed on with sport driving, just because I am worrying about a filter warranty.

Now, I wanted to run an acu-sump or a racing baffled oil pan, but THERE is an opening where Hyundai could easily kill you on warranty if you had an oiling issue. Fearing that makes sense, fearing about warranty on Fram Ultra oil filter almost never. They would just put in a new motor.

Only reason the dealer backed off is because they were just blowing smoke to see if you'd back off, and they knew that they couldn't prove it was the filter's fault.

But if a dealer could 100% prove it was the aftermarket oil filer that cause any engine damage then they certainly could legally tell you to pound sand and say "contact the filter manufacturer" about your engine repairs.

I've been using the extra guard PH9688 on my Hyundai since it's first oil change and have had no issues. 21,000 miles so far.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Any Fram 9688 series oil filter will work just as well as the Hyundai OEM oil filter. Fram increased the burst pressure of all 9688 series filters a few years ago to exceed Hyundai's requirement.

I use the Fram Ultra Synthetic XG9688 on my Hyundai GDI engine without any issues even after multiple consecutive oil change intervals.

Good to hear Iggy. I'll try the Ultras eventually.

Good to hear Iggy. I'll try the Ultras eventually. [/quote]

I don't believe you will ever use a good filter. Prove me wrong. I don't have to prove squat to you about FRAM ultra or tough guards. The lie about using a FRAM ultra on a GM also; that's a load of total BS

HYUNDAI / KIA use MANN HUMMEL Oil filters .. or at least it says it on the canister.. Mann Hummel of South Korea....

I trust MANN filters.....

Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
Some of the Japanese automakers use really low efficiency oil filters. They put emphasis on clean engine components at assembly, high efficiency intake air filtration, and clean engine performance.

Lower eff usually means higher capacity and lower flow restriction. Hence, providing a longer filter change interval.

Some even have a FCI that's 2x as long as the OCI. Yes -- leaving the filter on for 2 oil changes.

I don't know how long this has been the case but my 1983 Chevy Caprice owners manual calls for 7500 mile oil changes with oil filter changed every second time. That's a 15k interval for the filter. Somebody who owned my car even circled that, so I wish I knew if they actually did it or not. That could be why the engine is a bit tired with only 240k miles. It also likely had to have the camshaft replaced at low mileage.

IMO Nobody here in Canada or a climate like this should be following "normal" intervals anyway if they drive every day in the winter, unless they have a very long highway drive that makes the cold start warmup time when it's minus 20 somewhat irrelevant.

Not all Hyundai/Kia filters are made by Mann,
Mann are cheaper now for me as opposed to 'Kia' filters while are same or better quality, actually.
Mann W811/80 are also made in Korea.

If someone has specs for 26300-35503/04/05, please post them.

Here is the picture of the oil filter Hyundai/Kia 26300-35505
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The filter above is made at YOUNG DONG INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD. and not by Mann, thus there is no Mann logo or name on the filter.
Letter Y on the base plate is also an indicator it's mage by Young Dong.
They are not bad filters by any means.
I'm still going with Mann from now on, ordered 10pcs from RockAuto, took them 4 days to come including passing thru border.
Mann ones have better specs, look great and are cheaper for me right now, what not to like?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

If they have had some engines problems that doesn't mean they also put a low efficiency filter on it. Cellulose would the material for best soot removal as the soot can actually be retained in the porous fiber, synthetic is something like fishing line, nothing goes into it. You have to depend on the gaps to stop particles with synthetic fibers.

I was just reading though this thread again in light of the recent discussion in the Fram Titanium threads which I participated in.

The whole cellulose captures more soot notion is very intriguing to me, does anyone have more information on this?

I am guessing my AC Delco Professional Grade PF1127 are Cellulose. These are $4 at Rockauto.
Like I stated earlier, listed as 98% Efficiency @ 25-30microns

Have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra. The only OEM oil filters that have been on it was the one that came on it. And the one the dealer put on it at the first oil change because it was "free". Since then I've only used Amsoil Ea15K20 filters and Amsoil 5W-20. Changing both @ 15K miles. Zero issues. Currently 62K miles. Only ticking I hear is normal valve train noise.

Originally Posted by Ignatius

Good to hear Iggy. I'll try the Ultras eventually.

I've been using that ultra filter for years on my elantra, no issues.

Have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra. The only OEM oil filters that have been on it was the one that came on it. And the one the dealer put on it at the first oil change because it was "free". Since then I've only used Amsoil Ea15K20 filters and Amsoil 5W-20. Changing both @ 15K miles. Zero issues. Currently 62K miles. Only ticking I hear is normal valve train noise.

Except for the second oil change from new done at the Hyundai dealership, my ‘17 Elantra has had Fram Ultras on it every oil change except for once with a NAPA Pro Select. 57k on mine and no noise from it either.

L8R,
Matt

I don't know where OP got filtration efficiency numbers from for the OEM filter so I'm not gonna question the numbers.
I for one switched to Mann W811/80 filters recently while used OEM for the past 5 years getting them in US. Now, it is cheaper to get Mann for me.
Mann W811/80 is rated at 99% @35 microns and 50% @15 microns while offering same as OEM bypass valve opening pressure and flow rate.
These two filters - Mann and OEM Mann made filter are twin brothers and are both made in Korea, same design, but it seems filtration media is a bit better with W811/80.

Soot particles are sub sub submicronic - not even severe duty bypass type oil filter elements can filter out submicronic soot particles.

The only way… Absolutely the only way… To get rid of the soot, is to drain the oil.
Not unless you’re using Amsoil (according to some on this forum). If your oil proudly shows SS on the bottle, any fuel dilution from the DI engines will disappear, and the soot will be filtered out by the best breed in filtering, the Amsoil filters. Trust me, I’m an engineer

Back