Here comes the MC FL-820S test...

Apparently, my Fram Ultra luck must be running out-I have been having worsening ADBV action with an XG2 on the MGM in my sig, a 4.6 2V. It got bad enough that just a couple hours of sitting was enough to get the dreaded timing chain slap. The Magnatec 5W20 only has about 3000 miles on it, so on went the DREADED MC FL-820S! I'm going to grit my teeth, run it 3000 miles (or until the ADBV starts acting up). Go ahead & laugh-I'll cut it open when OCI time comes along, and I am careful to baby it cold (got a little piston slap, goes away inside of 1 mile).

I've found significant differences between filters of the same manufacturer. The manual test often shows the flaw in the valve's sealing (mouth on threads) . However, on my 2 Fords that use a spin on filter, the Motorcraft one gets the best "anti-clatter" results.

Weird thing is, this XG2 started out doing pretty well, but it’s been getting worse as time goes on. When I changed it, it had sat overnight, was probably only half full of oil (although it’s mounted on its side, hard to tell). The FL820S has been fine after 2 full days, next test will be 5 days. Assuming if the media tears, it will start draining back (?).

Does the location of this filter allow the exhaust to "bake" it?

Apparently, my Fram Ultra luck must be running out-I have been having worsening ADBV action with an XG2 on the MGM in my sig, a 4.6 2V. It got bad enough that just a couple hours of sitting was enough to get the dreaded timing chain slap. The Magnatec 5W20 only has about 3000 miles on it, so on went the DREADED MC FL-820S! I'm going to grit my teeth, run it 3000 miles (or until the ADBV starts acting up). Go ahead & laugh-I'll cut it open when OCI time comes along, and I am careful to baby it cold (got a little piston slap, goes away inside of 1 mile).

It'll be fine. I have an 820S I took off at my last change and as soon as I locate my snips I'll cut it open. I believe the hoopla is way overblown to astronomical epic proportions. I suspect it's an excellent filter with a good design esp. the back pressure.

You have to cut them open to know see what's happened to them. Like trees some times... Look fine from the outside. Yet they break at the base of the tree because it's rotten inside which you could not see from the outside. Weakened trees fall much easier than healthy trees in 50-60 mph winds.

You have to cut them open to know see what's happened to them. Like trees some times... Look fine from the outside. Yet they break at the base of the tree because it's rotten inside which you could not see from the outside. Weakened trees fall much easier than healthy trees in 50-60 mph winds.

Not this again...

If you factor that Ford recommends these in the owners manual, and many lines of autos use these, there are probably 10s of millions in use as I type this and literally hundreds of millions successfully used over the last 2+ decades with nary a real issue or incident of a documented critical failure.

This would be akin to being afraid to any beach in the world, because you read that someone put a thumbtack on the sand once somewhere.

Good design, especially the back pressure. What? :unsure: The back pressure decreases when the media tears. 😄

I gather that bickering over this filter is entertaining, however its getting old.

Read the filter forum rules, arguing over car parts like your mother makes them is ridiculous.

I will shut these topics down if it continues.

I'm re-opening with the understanding that posting just to bicker-bait either side will earn time away.

I gather that bickering over this filter is entertaining, however its getting old.

Read the filter forum rules, arguing over car parts like your mother makes them is ridiculous.

I will shut these topics down if it continues.

I'm re-opening with the understanding that posting just to bicker-bait either side will earn time away.
If this increases readers and discussion, is it really a bad thing?
Maybe we should just allow topics with no discussion...

I say this many times . Nothing start quiet like the FL820s on all my engine that require FL820s . I been looking for alt filter with the same adbv design right on the thread . Couldn’t find any .

all new Godzilla 7.3l gas engine running FL820s . And there is ton of them on the road.

I use fram ultra xg2 on my 600+ whp whipple super charger mustang svt cobra . It does have 1 second rattle . I use the FL820s for 2 years lol but it’s only 200-300 miles total on those 2 years . Always start up smooth
DD838776-C6DC-48F0-B645-7E01F1536CD1.jpeg

Guys-keep it civil on this one, I need to get to the bottom of my timing chain issues, and I'm hoping that maybe the FL820-S CAN help solve them. Otherwise I'm going to have to (probably pay) to have the timing cover, valve covers, and chain tensioners (OR MORE) replaced. Approaching the car's value in cost! I will post updates on the process.

I get that noise on my MGM (4.6-2V) once in a while on a cold start, no matter what brand filter I use.. It only has 39k miles on it so I doubt I am looking at an internal engine problem. Some filters are worse than others. I am convinced no one filter will make a 4.6 totally quiet all the time on a cold start. There was a TSB regarding this problem but it dealt with the exhaust which doesn't make sense. I don't particuliarly like the design of a 4.6 engine anyway.

That’s all I use is the FL820S on our Escape. Doesn’t seem to be having any issues. I haven’t cut any open yet though so I don’t know for sure.
Considering the problem is torn media if you aren't cutting them open then it's not surprising you don't seem to have any issues.

I get that noise on my MGM (4.6-2V) once in a while on a cold start, no matter what brand filter I use.. It only has 39k miles on it so I doubt I am looking at an internal engine problem. Some filters are worse than others. I am convinced no one filter will make a 4.6 totally quiet all the time on a cold start. There was a TSB regarding this problem but it dealt with the exhaust which doesn't make sense. I don't particuliarly like the design of a 4.6 engine anyway.
Mine has 134K now, but it was owned by a (now deceased) 90 year old college professor, it literally never even saw snow & salt until I bought it. Unfortunately the plastic chain tensioners (appear) to be allowing excessive play in the chain, and it is hammering on the inside of the cover (when ADBV action isn't perfect). I can't complain about the car otherwise, I've never seen a V8 full frame 4000 lb. car that can carry 4-5 adults & get 25 MPG doing it.

Chain tenioners can also bleed down on their own due to their seal leaking. Lots of videos on YouTube covering that issue.

Back