MC FL-820S Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been about 6 months since I took mine apart (also a 5.4 F-150) and I don't remember 2.

Any chance you did a UOA? I'd love to see it on PYB at 5k if you did.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
It's been about 6 months since I took mine apart (also a 5.4 F-150) and I don't remember 2.

Any chance you did a UOA? I'd love to see it on PYB at 5k if you did.

Sorry, no, this was my cousin's truck.
smile.gif

Ford dealer wanted to charge me $70 to do an oil change full synthetic. Same oil change cost me about $30 and maybe 30 minutes. I am slow compared to them I am sure. Also I know for certain it was done and what was put in it. hard for me to prove they put synthetic in it or substitute in regular oil.

Wow that's the first Motorcraft I've ever seen that I wasn't impressed with. Bad pleat flattening at the seam, that has led to blow out in other Puro's, too much pressure at that point when they flatten like that.
frown.gif

Not impressed with the 2 springs either.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

In pic #36 you can see my cameras reflection in the oil.

Aw, we don't get to see your ugly mug???
crackmeup2.gif

Hee hee...
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wow that's the first Motorcraft I've ever seen that I wasn't impressed with. Bad pleat flattening at the seam, that has led to blow out in other Puro's, too much pressure at that point when they flatten like that.
frown.gif

Not impressed with the 2 springs either.
shocked2.gif

KC, you bring up an interesting point there, about the pleating. Do you think because the filter had (2) leaf springs it raised the bypass pressure normally seen with only (1) leaf spring, and caused the pleating to do this?
21.gif

Do you think because the filter had (2) leaf springs it raised the bypass pressure normally seen with only (1) leaf spring, and caused the pleating to do this?
21.gif

No ... the leaf springs have nothing to do with the bypass valve operation. The bypass valve has its own spring. The leaf spring is just to hold everything tight inside the can.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Do you think because the filter had (2) leaf springs it raised the bypass pressure normally seen with only (1) leaf spring, and caused the pleating to do this?
21.gif

No ... the leaf springs have nothing to do with the bypass valve operation. The bypass valve has its own spring. The leaf spring is just to hold everything tight inside the can.

Ok, I thought so, but I was taking a shot at it anyway.
smile.gif

On a side note - I didn't see any photo of the bypass valve. I'm assuming this MC filter has the base end bypass valve.

It's amazing that BITOG members cutting open filters are a tiny sample size of the filters in use but we seem to find many quality problems.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
frown.gif

Yeah, that looks like a good candidate for torn media around that flattened out pleat area.

Let's see, would the extra leaf spring be an issue here? Can't see how other than perhaps holding the element more securely in place. Yet, some shocked by the extra spring here say the loose element on the Ultra 'perhaps' caused by the leaf spring is nothing to get excited about. Just sayin.
21.gif

Worse thing shown is the wider pleat spacing here at the seam pleat. Guess the FL820S isn't the 'perfect' filter after all.

Thanks for the pics. Here's a tip for you though, when posting pics you can embed them by using the fourth icon/symbol from the left at the top (enter an image).

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Thanks for the pics. Here's a tip for you though, when posting pics you can embed them by using the fourth icon/symbol from the left at the top (enter an image).

What'a "floating image?"

I just always choose the first drop down, non floating, works fine for me. Perhaps the preview post at the bottom might left will show the differences. First one works fine for me though.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Let's see, would the extra leaf spring be an issue here? Can't see how other than perhaps holding the element more securely in place. Yet, some shocked by the extra spring here say the loose element on the Ultra 'perhaps' caused by the leaf spring is nothing to get excited about. Just sayin.
21.gif

It is Friday and I and nearing the end of my BCI. I don't quite follow you on this. From my standpoint both are equally interesting. The flattened pleats and increased spacing on some filters near the clips are also interesting. I usually only get a little excited when I think someone is unfairly attacking someone or going over the top to make a point.

On many of my posts, I let my hyperbolic or ironic humor escape and forget to put whatever little smiley goes with it. This is usually because I figure people can recognize the humor as most are smarter than me.

^^^^^Other than you quoting part of my post, no idea what your post means or is referencing. Also don't know what "clips" are. Seam? As has been noted by not only myself, there's little or no chance the extra leaf spring would be any factor other than as stated in my post. And, the OP noted no issue with said filter. On a previous post someone alluded to shock regarding this occurence, yet seemingly not so much over the obviously loose element of the recently posted Ultra. Seems ironic to me, that's all.

And fwiw, a filter with an extra leaf spring has been posted previously on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back