Napa Gold/Silver 1372 vs Motorcraft FL-820S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need filters for my CVPI and truck. Both use the FL-820S. I can get the FL-820S for around $4.00 at O'Reilly.

My truck (2009 F150) has the 5.4 3V and internet lore contends that if you don't run a FL-820S on a 5.4 3V the VCT will self destruct, the engine will die of oil starvation, you will have dry engine starts and gremlins will come kick your dog.

I got a flyer in the mail tonight from NAPA with a 50th anniversary filter sale. I can get the NAPA gold 1372 for $6.99 or NAPA silver 31372 for $3.04. I will not be running extended OCIs and am running PYB 5w20 in my 5.4 3V. I will be running approximately 7,500 miles or until the OLM goes off.

Do I go grab a master pack on my lunch tomorrow of golds or silvers, or do I keep using the FL-820S?

EDIT: I didn't change the zipcode on the NAPA website. I changed it now and it shows Golds would be $7.58, forget that. What is the scoop on Pro-Select filters?

I was in the same exact predicament as you. You may also want to consider the carquest red. When I saw the Napa silver on sale for $3.04, that is when I made my decision. Napa silver it is!

I have a small fleet(6) of hi mileage ford mod motors in my business...tried all kinds of filters and have an ear for the startup noises these things make along with the phaser issues.....I would say pretty much anything with a silicone adbv is best from what I have found....the silver/pro select has that funky combo valve in it and I noticed more startup noise with them....if the motor is clean and healthy the rest of the filter wont really make much of a difference.....so best deal with a good adbv is what I would reccomend..flame suit on...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Whatever you do think hard about the FL 820S since it's part of the Purolator scandal with failures. I'd personally recommend the Fram Tough Guards

I've started moving over to the TGs as well. No issues to report.

I like the Napa silver and have used it on a bunch of oil changes for vehicles with vertical filters. Be aware that it has a nitrile ADBV, though. That is one reason I stick with the FL820S on my 4.6L.

Carquest blue-I just picked up 3 for the newly acquired 4.6 Grand Marquis in my sig. With online codes & Ebates cash back, roughly $6 each at AAP. Mobil 1 filter quality without the $12 price tag. Or bite the bullet & spend around $9 for an XG2 Ultra (although if you have a Meijer around, right now you can buy one & get one 50% off, so that would drop them to $6.75 each this week).

Last edited:
I just noticed the Wix 51372 thread just a few below this one. I think I will check out this filter on my next trip to O'Reilly.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Carquest blue-I just picked up 3 for the newly acquired 4.6 Grand Marquis in my sig. With online codes & Ebates cash back, roughly $6 each at AAP. Mobil 1 filter quality without the $12 price tag. Or bite the bullet & spend around $9 for an XG2 Ultra (although if you have a Meijer around, right now you can buy one & get one 50% off, so that would drop them to $6.75 each this week).

ah shoot. Go with the carquest blue. I read this and looked and saw that AAP does have the blue. I also have $5 in speedperks that I can use towards it. Question is do I return the silver and do this or just leave as is. I only drive 2k a year on this car.

Originally Posted By: DSparks
I would say pretty much anything with a silicone adbv is best from what I have found.
I tend to agree. The FL-820s and FRAM Ultra ran just fine on my 5.4L and both had silicone ADBVs in them.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Whatever you do think hard about the FL 820S since it's part of the Purolator scandal with failures. I'd personally recommend the Fram Tough Guards

I've started moving over to the TGs as well. No issues to report.
https://www.google.com/search?q=oil+filter+flow+chart&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpr7WZmIDLAhXIr4MKHWytAwoQsAQIHA&biw=1120&bih=534#imgrc=14wUOCm5kih5JM%3A I would not use a Tough Guard it looks very tough to flow. Who knows how often that this goes into bypass.

laugh.gif

I've used nothing but Motorcraft FL-820S on our Crown Vic for the last 9 years,never an issue and there are many other people who use them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back