Motorcraft FL-820S opened up, looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the talk about the quality of MC filters had me paranoid, so I cut open the last FL-820S that I took off my 2012 Expedition. It was run for about 7500 miles with M1 AFE 0W-20 oil. I used the standard Longacre tool to open it up.

I think it looks great: no holes and no brittleness. I feel confident continuing to run them in the future.

I don't have a good way to embed the images, but there's an album here: https://goo.gl/photos/ZzArfNNMEyUrrf469

robert

Last edited:
Too bad you ain't closer- I have a few I would give you as I sold my truck
But the shipping stinks and they are cheap elsewhere. Looks good!

On both of my Fords I run 10K OCIs and am very please with the way MC filters always look.

Originally Posted By: tig1
On both of my Fords I run 10K OCIs and am very please with the way MC filters always look.

The AFE must have some kind of "filter preserving" effect to it...
wink.gif

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope

The AFE must have some kind of "filter preserving" effect to it...
wink.gif

robert

It must. All rips, tears, louvers, dents, and dings are repaired with AFE.
01.gif

Last edited:
I will say i changed oil on a 4.6 ford that had a low mileage 820-s because i did not want to take any chances and i cut it opened and it looked great except for some minor sharp edges on the inside of the base plate. I will post some pictures soon. I put an ultra XG-2 on with 5 quarts of 5w20 and 1 quart of 5w30 Mobil 1
It had QSUD before the change.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Too bad you ain't closer- I have a few I would give you as I sold my truck
But the shipping stinks and they are cheap elsewhere. Looks good!

Hows shipping to PA?
grin.gif

Thanks for the C&P. I've been running the 820-S on my mustang for awhile now.

I got one coming up as well. Just another 500 miles on the 5.4 modular for a total of 5k miles on 5w20 pyb. Hoping the filter looks just as good.

Thank you for the C&P

But yours are cannister. The problems have been with spin ons.

This one looks good. But it doesn't change what's been posted. Did you buy a good one or a bad one? You won't know till you cut it open after 5k miles. Same as the purolator. You will always wonder.

Yeah supreme quality is only $2 to $4 more and I don't want to find out later my new ride was compromised because I was a cheap SOB.....

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
This one looks good. But it doesn't change what's been posted. Did you buy a good one or a bad one? You won't know till you cut it open after 5k miles. Same as the purolator. You will always wonder.

But yours are cannister. The problems have been with spin ons.

Only the Fusion is a cartridge, FL 2017. The Focus is a spin on, FL910. As for the cartridge, when I first bought the Fusion, I tried a M1 and a Fram cartridge. Both collapsed a little. I switched to the MC and it never has. Also the FL 910 has never shown a defect in the many years I have used them all at 10K OCIs. For me, In Fords, I will use a MC filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robertcope

I don't have a good way to embed the images, ...

Just post them on BITOG, there is an option for that now.

Just click on the thing in the pic below and follow the directions.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Yeah supreme quality is only $2 to $4 more and I don't want to find out later my new ride was compromised because I was a cheap SOB.....

I don't mind paying more, in fact I ran the Mobil 1 EP filters until I learned about the dome-end bypass; and, at the time, people seemed to highly recommend the FL-820S. If there was a high quality alternative with a dome-end bypass, I'd probably run it.

robert

Originally Posted By: car51
That's your opinion Tig1; and until I see this "shoddy quality control" be fixed I will not risk my fords engine.

You said"I will not risk my Ford engines". LOL. Millions of MC filters are used every year on Ford engines. Isn't your statement over played just a little bit? Yes, that is my opinion.

I have to agree with car 51 although i have a very low mileage Motorcraft that looked pretty good for the most part i will post pictures soon it did however have slightly rough edges on the inside of the base plate but nothing to write home about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back