Helping a friend with a 3.9L V6 Dodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
I was at our little poker game last night and some how we started talking about our cars. After a bunch of hoopla about who's car gets the worst MPG, one of my friends says, "I am about 7,000 miles overdue for an oil change." The room goes quiet and I say, "Your next day off, i'm change the oil." He works 40 hours a week and by the time he gets off work, all the oil change places are closed. He doesn't know what viscosity and capacity his truck takes...

It's a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 3.9L V6. I noticed that his truck takes the same stock size filter as my 4.0L Jeep, the PH16. Will the PH8A (FL1A) fit on this thing? I'm running the ST8A right now. He's taking this truck to Florida State U, this year so I'm thinking any extra oil will help. What do you think he should run in his truck? Delo 400? I'm running that right now but I don't know what would be good for his truck.

10W30 above 0F.

It will take the large filter that came on early V10's if that is the size you are refering to. It is 3/4 of a 318 V8 and can be treated as such.

I would suggest putting Delo 400 15W-40 in it though if you are going to be going 10,000 mi between drains on Dino.

Gene

Man, I'm confused.
confused.gif

He has a Dodge RAM and needs a shop open to do it? He doesn't need ramps or anything. It's a 15 minute job. He can do it himself easily.

These truck are so high off the ground it's easy.

Most shops are open 6 days a week also (48 hrs.) I'm thinking he just really doesn't care about maintenance.

Some of these are seeming to get much better gas mileage with higher octane gas than recommended and can be fussy about brands. Try some higher octane Citgo or Conoco maybe. More expensive, but better performance and mileage might make it pay.

M1 10W-30 would be a good choice for oil, imho.

The PH16 and PH8 have the same threads, gasket diameter and bypass valve setting so if you have the space you can use the larger filter. I e-mailed Fram, for my brother-in-law, and that's what they told me, with the caveat of "use what the manufacturer specifies"
rolleyes.gif
. If the larger filter fits without interference I'd use the Motorcraft FL1A or any equivilant filter, other than Fram
wink.gif
. Or if you can't go for a larger filter due to space limitations then you can use the Motorcraft FL200. It's interchangeable with the PH16.

Whimsey

Well, I'll vouch for him, he tries to maintain his truck. It was too dark to change it when he mentioned it. So Delo will be good. I'll tell him about the gas thing. How many quarts of oil does this truck take? I'm thinking about getting a Wix brand filter.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
Well, I'll vouch for him, he tries to maintain his truck. It was too dark to change it when he mentioned it. So Delo will be good. I'll tell him about the gas thing. How many quarts of oil does this truck take? I'm thinking about getting a Wix brand filter.

A Dakota Holds 4.0L with the small standard filter.

I am not sure on the RAM but I believe 5 Qt will cover it even with the larger filter.

Gene

quote:

He works 40 hours a week and by the time he gets off work, all the oil change places are closed.

Sorry, not to pick on your buddy, but this reminds me of a story about my cousin (who also drives a Dodge Ram with the 3.9 - go figure.) My grandmother told me that he had to wait in line for over three hours at the oil change place last weekend. I asked her: Why didn't he just go home and change it himself? Or why didn't he just go 100 miles over 3k and wait until next weekend to get it changed?

Funny sometimes the lengths people will go to for "convenience."

smile.gif
M

quote:

Originally posted by MikeR:

quote:

He works 40 hours a week and by the time he gets off work, all the oil change places are closed.

Sorry, not to pick on your buddy, but this reminds me of a story about my cousin (who also drives a Dodge Ram with the 3.9 - go figure.) My grandmother told me that he had to wait in line for over three hours at the oil change place last weekend. I asked her: Why didn't he just go home and change it himself? Or why didn't he just go 100 miles over 3k and wait until next weekend to get it changed?

Funny sometimes the lengths people will go to for "convenience."

smile.gif
M

same thing here..my dad went to walmart to get his oil changed. he waited 2.5 hours, and they didn't even touch his car at all. he got fed up and left. he drove 5400 miles on dealership oil. I changed today and took a sample. this car still has a warranty

I was at our little poker game last night and some how we started talking about our cars. After a bunch of hoopla about who's car gets the worst MPG, one of my friends says, "I am about 7,000 miles overdue for an oil change." The room goes quiet and I say, "Your next day off, i'm change the oil." He works 40 hours a week and by the time he gets off work, all the oil change places are closed. He doesn't know what viscosity and capacity his truck takes...

It's a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 3.9L V6. I noticed that his truck takes the same stock size filter as my 4.0L Jeep, the PH16. Will the PH8A (FL1A) fit on this thing? I'm running the ST8A right now. He's taking this truck to Florida State U, this year so I'm thinking any extra oil will help. What do you think he should run in his truck? Delo 400? I'm running that right now but I don't know what would be good for his truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back