Help what does A5 mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I want to know is that castrol dino 5w-30 says A1 and I know that mean fuel economy. But there 10W-30 says A1, A5 so what does that mean?

I'm assuming you mean ACEA A1 & A5. It is as follows: "Oil for gasoline engines specifically designed to use low friction, low viscosity oils with High Temperature/High Viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPa.s. May be unsuitable for use in some engines". ACEA A5 "Stable stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a HT/HS of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines". It's not that I'm that smart. I found these specs not too long ago and saved them for reference. Maybe that was smart. [ July 23, 2004, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: krholm ]

Energy-saving, stable viscosity (stay in grade) category with stricter requirements. Developed especially for high specific power engines operating with low friction, low viscosity (2.9 mPas < HTHS < 3.5 mPas) engine oil. Suitable for long oil change intervals approved by the manufacturer. Not for use with certain engine types.

vvk

It basically means that the 10W-30 is a better oil [Smile] The only non-synthetic on the market claiming ACEA A1/A5 rating [bowdown] And only in Canada, at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.