ACEA A3/A5 Confision

Hi all.

My cars manual says it needs A3/A5 oil.

Now I can’t find any oil labelled a3/a5.

Does A3/A5 simply mean A3 or A5? Or is A3/A5 a grade in itself?

When I enter my car into ‘find oil’ websites, often I’m recommended C3, which doesn’t seem right.

Can anyone clarify what this labelling means and what I should be buying? Thanks

ACEA A3 would have HTHS 3.5 or higher and A5 is HTHS 3.5 or less but not less than 2.9. Basically any 30 grade would fall within either A3 or A5.

C3 has HTHS of 3.5 or higher. An oil under C3 would be 30 or 40 grade. If your country uses low sulfur gasoline/diesel then C3 would likely be recommended over A3 or A5.

A3 and A5 are mutually exclusive. So I'd assume it's either A3 or A5, likelihood is C3 would be acceptable also.
Thanks. So basically, I could just pick up something that claims to be A3 or A5, or even A3/B3 or A5/B3. Is that right?

ACEA A3 would have HTHS 3.5 or higher and A5 is HTHS 3.5 or less but not less than 2.9. Basically any 30 grade would fall within either A3 or A5.

C3 has HTHS of 3.5 or higher. An oil under C3 would be 30 or 40 grade. If your country uses low sulfur gasoline/diesel then C3 would likely be recommended over A3 or A5.
Im in the UK, unsure if our gas is low sulfer. I think I’ve been using C3 in it, since that’s what most places recommend (rightly or wrongly, and contrary to the manual)

Hi all.

My cars manual says it needs A3/A5 oil.

Now I can’t find any oil labelled a3/a5.

Does A3/A5 simply mean A3 or A5? Or is A3/A5 a grade in itself?

When I enter my car into ‘find oil’ websites, often I’m recommended C3, which doesn’t seem right.

Can anyone clarify what this labelling means and what I should be buying? Thanks
Can you post a picture of the manual showing this?

And an ACEA C3 oil is fine.

Can you post a picture of the manual showing this?

And an ACEA C3 oil is fine.
IMG_1518.jpeg

Photo attached!

Okay that makes sense now. The UK moved to ULSG around 2009 so this particular owners manual would not reflect the update.
So following this update, would oil recommendations have changed? I’ve just ordered an oil that’s marked A3-B4 , API SL/CF.

I assume this would still be ok? Finding this to be a right minefield, just trying to put the right thing in. Perhaps I’m overthinking it.

What would you go for in my situation - c3? It’s certainly easier to find!

Last edited:
So following this update, would oil recommendations have changed?
I don't know. That's up to Mazda.
I’ve just ordered an oil that’s marked A3-B4 , API SL/CF.

I assume this would still be ok? Finding this to be a right minefield, just trying to put the right thing in. Perhaps I’m overthinking it
The reality is that any modern lubricant is more than adequate.

I don't know. That's up to Mazda.

The reality is that any modern lubricant is more than adequate.
Fair enough. Thanks for the input.

Interstingly, even the next gen Mazda 2 - 2015 on - asks for A3/A5. So I’ll try and stick to that. Thanks

Last edited:
Back