help pick new truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering a new pickup truck.
Needs four doors, 4x4, V6, excellent reliability and easy to change oil (I enjoy doing my own maintenance)

I'm considering the following (in no particular order)

Toyota Tacoma
Nissan Frontier (I'm liking the look of these this year)
Honda Ridgeline

I won't be hauling a trailer, but I will do occasional trips to the nursery for trees, rocks and various household items at Home Depot.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Get a hyundai sedan and save the $7k to dispense $20 at a time for 75 minutes of using the HD rental.

Considering what you say you'd use it for and the good possibility you will use it for more I'd nix the Ridgeline off your list. Those things soil the good name of truck. Useless vehicle IMO.

If they still make the I4 2.7l in the Tacoma it performed a fair shade better than I expected for a 4 cyl in a truck. I drove a '96 2.7/5M for about 3 years on & off. Fairly quick for a truck.

Never heard complaints on various forums about the Frontier either.

Pick the best deal I'd say.

Originally Posted By: mozart
I'm considering a new pickup truck.
Needs four doors, 4x4, V6, excellent reliability and easy to change oil (I enjoy doing my own maintenance)

I'm considering the following (in no particular order)

Toyota Tacoma
Nissan Frontier (I'm liking the look of these this year)
Honda Ridgeline

I won't be hauling a trailer, but I will do occasional trips to the nursery for trees, rocks and various household items at Home Depot.

Thanks in advance

Out of these three I would pick the Toyota, but I would also suggest you look at a Ford Ranger.

Anything but the Tacoma.Frames are absolute rubbish they rot like crazy,ditto Ford Ranger.The others you posted are fine.

Sorry johnny i didn't see you posted that before i posted.
These are observations based on trucks we own or see up here in the rust belt.Depending on where it will be used he could also be facing some salt issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Get a hyundai sedan and save the $7k to dispense $20 at a time for 75 minutes of using the HD rental.

+1 Unless you just want a truck, I'd get a car and a trailer if you do stuff every weekend or just rent a truck. Nearly everything can tow 1500lbs and that probably more than those trucks can put in the bed...
Plus you don't have to worry about scratching a trailer up, lifting everything over your head to get it into the pickup bed, or need stairs and a railing to get into the bed your self...

If you do just want a truck, then I'd get a toyota for its high resale value.

I'd look at a Ranger.

It's at the end of it's production cycle, so the deals are going to get better and better on this truck!

Out of the choices you listed, I would pick the Frontier.
I think that is the best looking truck out of the group, and I know several people that own them. They are a reliable vehicle.

I think rudolph has it. I have owned 2 toyota tacomas and they were HORRID. Occasional use Trucks dont have good utility vs small SUV for a typ homeowner. Not worth it for a couple runs to home depot. This is typ flawed American thinking. Think 4 dollar a gallon gas soon also ....

Ridgeline is a great truck.. it only sucks if you haven't driven one before
grin2.gif

Tacoma is nice, but a lot smaller inside than then ridgeline. I have no experience with the Frontier, so won't comment on it.

If I was buying an occasional use work truck, Id look for an early 1980s chevy or ford fullsize with MT. In CA you can find great examples of early 1980s vehicles. They are good deals, and will save you a lot compared to a new truck that will have marginal utility...

I would buy a full size, gas mileage is the same as these.

Oh, ridgeline as mentioned is a useless gutless truck.

I had a Nissan Truck ( 1993 ). The frame rotten out at 134k 12 years. I now drive a Ridgeline. I test drove all mid size trucks and the Ridgeline gets my vote. The Ridgeline has a car like drive.

webfors said:
Ridgeline is a great truck.. it only sucks if you haven't driven one before
grin2.gif

Ridgeline isn't even really a truck! (and yes, I've driven one)I have the Honda Odyssey, which is what the Ridgeline is based on. Also, I've heard that as of 2012 model year, Honda will quit making them. (don't know if this is true, haven't asked my dealer yet)

Between all of them I would get the Tacoma. Higher resale, and quality. The only one I don't have any personal experience with is the Nissan. I've just never liked the way they look. If you really do buy a truck, you may as well look at the full size as well. They will get about the same mileage as the mid-size.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back