Help pick an oil for my 2 Red Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

I recently picked up two Volvos (see sig). They will allow me to keep miles off my prisine '83 Mercedes and will be used for commuting (13 miles each way) and general running around duty (few long trips, if any). Plus my 17 year old daughter is driving now, so the extra car will come in handy for keeping mom and dad at home, if you know what I mean.

I put a bottle of AutoRx in each one prior to driving them home. The turbo was 1,250 miles from home, the 240 was 1,500 miles (you'd think I would look closer to home...). So both got good long highway runs during the clean phase. Both are now on rinse with Supertech 10W-40.

The '89 has visible varnish looking at the cam from the filler neck. There is also a little nasty black junk...not sure I'd call it sludge....fairly small patches in nooks and crannies. Maybe the beginnings of sludge. Ok, it is a little dark in there!

PO records for the '89 turbo indicate the owner was careful to get regular oil changes, but he didn't give much thought to what oil was being put in (bulk junk at the local garage near Ole Miss where the car lived most of its life).

The '91 is very clean under the cover and is no doubt easier on the oil being normally aspirated. It sure shows in the cleanliness difference.

So, once the rinse cycles are done, I need to decide how I am going to treat these two. I have a supply of Mann filters, but am undecided on oil.

I have a decent stash (maybe 40 quarts left) of $1 SL Trop Artic syn blend 10W30 and thought that might be good for the 240. I seem to remember reading somewhere though that these old Volvos tend to like 14 - 15 cSt.

For the turbo, I am seriously considering at least a group III oil, maybe even a group IV. The turbo is water-cooled, but I don't want to be adding to the varnish and junk. I even thought about maybe using Schaeffer's S-9000 5W40 diesel oil...I use it in my Mercedes and it would certainly be convenient. Might not be too good for my 18 year old catalytic converter though?

Oh, and I am ready to do a second AutoRx on the turbo if after the rinse it still looks groty.

What do you think? What would you use? Fire away, I am all ears!

Tim

For your climate that vintage of Red Block Volvo recommended 15W-40 motor oil. Any of the fleet/diesel 15W-40 oils like Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella, Pennzoil Long Life, etc. would be an excellent choice. I would be a little careful about introducing these older engines to synthetics as sometime that switch exacerbates oil leaks.

Enjoy that 780 turbo, and take real good care of the interior. Those special Bertone interior bits are hard to find and expensive. Really interesting cars at the price you can buy them for today, but way overpriced when they were new.

Quote:

For your climate that vintage of Red Block Volvo recommended 15W-40 motor oil. Any of the fleet/diesel 15W-40 oils like Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella, Pennzoil Long Life, etc. would be an excellent choice. I would be a little careful about introducing these older engines to synthetics as sometime that switch exacerbates oil leaks.

Enjoy that 780 turbo, and take real good care of the interior. Those special Bertone interior bits are hard to find and expensive. Really interesting cars at the price you can buy them for today, but way overpriced when they were new.

You'd use the 15W-40 diesel oil in the turbo, too?

Hey, it gets cold here in Houston. It is mid-September and we might break out of the 70's for the first time this fall. Low temp one night last week was 77
frown.gif

Thanks for the input....keep it coming!

Oh, and I have already been introduced to the supply/demand situation on 780 parts! How's $125 for a used rear tail lamp assembly sound?

Tim

That's it? One hit?

C'mon guys...don't tell me you don't care about helping a couple old Volvos stay on the road!

I have a 1986 740GLE with the B230F engine. The PO's use of 10W-30 car-oil at 3000 OCI worked great except for the coked rings and oiled-out cylinder, heavy blow-by, and severe varnishing with valve noise and dried-out failed gasket set.

If I were to march down to the store right now and get you some oil, I would buy Delvac 1/M1 TDT for the turbo engine and RTS for your NA engine. If they won't stop leaking out, then go with the CJ-4 15W-40 HDEO's.

How about GTX 20w50? In Houston (during the spring/summer/fall driving season) it would probably be ideal. For winter switch to GTX 10w40 and you'd be set. You can't beat the price....

I ran quite a bit of Castrol 20W-50 in my old '87 240, on the way to 275k before I sold it.

ok - I see a bit of a consensus forming here. Looking at 14+cSt with a tendency toward higher sulfated ash!

Any more thoughts??

Tim

Quote:

How much are you willing to spend on oil?...

Even expensive oil does not add up to what I consider significant $$...so cost is not really an issue. But value is always important. I'll use the most expensive oil out there if I think it brings good value.

An extra $200 per year to run a higher end oil in the cars is nothing to me. I'll gladly do it if I think I am getting something worthwhile for the extra money. I'll also gladly run Supertech if I know I am going to do a short interval.

I have lots of money to spend on oil, partly because I don't spend a lot of money on cars!
cool.gif

I am really considering just running the Schaeffer's S-9000 5W-40 in all three cars, year 'round. I can place one $300 order once every year or so and be done with it!

Tim

I think you've already got a good idea of the direction you're going to take, but I'll chime in with a couple of thoughts. For the 240, CJ-4 formulated HDEO 15w-40 oils as recommended by Rodbuckler will limit sulfated ash to
For the care and feeding of the 780, I'd post your oil selection question on a Volvo message board and also check with the local Volvo shops.

Unsolicited Off Topic Volvo Tip:
I see you're going to be running these old Swedes in the Houston area. My wife drove a 1990 model 240DL for 10 years in the southern heat. The car would run hot during the summer and extremely hot if stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic with the A/C on. We solved this by dumping the glycol coolant for Valvoline/Zerex racing coolant during the summer. This change increased the car's cooling system capacity by 25% and the car never ran hot again, ever. We would change back to glycol coolant in the fall to protect against freezing temps.

Quote:

I think you've already got a good idea of the direction you're going to take, but I'll chime in with a couple of thoughts. For the 240, CJ-4 formulated HDEO 15w-40 oils as recommended by Rodbuckler will limit sulfated ash to
For the care and feeding of the 780, I'd post your oil selection question on a Volvo message board and also check with the local Volvo shops.

Unsolicited Off Topic Volvo Tip:
I see you're going to be running these old Swedes in the Houston area. My wife drove a 1990 model 240DL for 10 years in the southern heat. The car would run hot during the summer and extremely hot if stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic with the A/C on. We solved this by dumping the glycol coolant for Valvoline/Zerex racing coolant during the summer. This change increased the car's cooling system capacity by 25% and the car never ran hot again, ever. We would change back to glycol coolant in the fall to protect against freezing temps.

Great stuff!

Here's an update:

Waiting on a result from Blackstone - they have the sample now.

I went ahead and changed the cap as suggested above...I figured I didn't have anything to lose. Did another bubble test at 3,000 rpm with a fully hot engine. No bubbles.

However, just running the vehicle 10 miles to get it hot I already noticed a slight film on the previously fresh coolant in the bottle. Could be carryover...

I went ahead and cleaned the overflow out thoroughly and re-filled with fresh again.

Should have the Blackstone result tomorrow. If it comes back clean, I might be inclined to think I just had a bad cap....except for that oily sheen.

Thanks for the replies and tips,

Tim

Ooops! Posted a reply for my Sienna head gasket issue in the wrong thread! D'oh!

Well, at least I can copy and paste now....sorry guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back