Help needed buying a new, or near new SUV

That latest CRV is better vehicle than the previous model all around however it looks is hideous externally; if you can live with its exterior I’d get one before a RAV4

our at 60k it still is going strong

My dad has a RAV4 Hybrid. I was unimpressed at the build quality, materials used and ride characteristics. Will it last 500k miles....time will tell. The Honda's have a CVT which is a deal killer for me. Maybe look at the Mazda's or even a Tiguan. You can buy new with what a used Honda/Toyota would cost. I would also look to see if it has direct or indirect TPMS. I really like the indirect. Makes life simpler.

I think that is news to A LOT of people. Maybe Mazda and Subaru need to do some more work.
I know Mazda does, Subaru isn't too bad, but they can still have issues when temps really drop. Where I live, it's not too bad as it's not under 20*f very much, but I do find it troubling and annoying. The mazda turbos lose boost below about 20-21*f. This is part of why I am excited about them going with a i6 SA-X engine in their next CX5. If they do it right, it will be a Japanese SQ5 basically. They've got parity with the Q5 2.0, now, as far as I'm concerned, so it makes sense that they are going for the lower end S-line and AMG/M vehicles on their next redesign.

I know Mazda does, Subaru isn't too bad, but they can still have issues when temps really drop. Where I live, it's not too bad as it's not under 20*f very much, but I do find it troubling and annoying. The mazda turbos lose boost below about 20-21*f. This is part of why I am excited about them going with a i6 SA-X engine in their next CX5. If they do it right, it will be a Japanese SQ5 basically. They've got parity with the Q5 2.0, now, as far as I'm concerned, so it makes sense that they are going for the lower end S-line and AMG/M vehicles on their next redesign.
Good to know, so I stick with my German choices which do not care for ambient temperature.
And that I6 is going to go transverse in CX-5?

Good to know, so I stick with my German choices which do not care for ambient temperature.
And that I6 is going to go transverse in CX-5?
It's not.
I'll take a more reliable and better made vehicle that has some tuning quirks at extreme temps.

Sure, if temperature is not below 20f :)
Just because its tuned to cut boost doesnt mean it's not reliable, lol! All turbo cars cut boost in low temps to prevent boost creep. Mazda is just much more aggressive. I think it may be for numerous reasons, and all good ones for the engine and so forth. Annoying, but then it just performs similar to a tiguan, which you agree is fine. I would like to know why mazda chose this though.

Just because its tuned to cut boost doesnt mean it's not reliable, lol! All turbo cars cut boost in low temps to prevent boost creep. Mazda is just much more aggressive. I think it may be for numerous reasons, and all good ones for the engine and so forth. Annoying, but then it just performs similar to a tiguan, which you agree is fine. I would like to know why mazda chose this though.
They will figure out, eventually.

They will figure out, eventually.
Maybe they already have...their turbo engines go hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues, no need of walnut blasting the valves, etc. And here I am reading others post that short trips in cold weather messed up their german turbo engines. Maybe mazda HAS figured it out...

I am not an engineer, nor do I have much insight into Mazdas tuning, but I can look at the results, and it seems pretty well done, considering their SA turbo engines are now half a decade out, and I have yet to find a single failure online regarding them. That's pretty unique, I'd say, in a production volume engine. Seriously, find me a skyactiv turbo 2.5 that has had a turbo or engine failure? I looked hard before buying. None found.

Would it have something to do with the combination of Dynamic Pressure and cooled EGR?

See, they have those things, and I am wondering if that is the reason. Like I said, I do not know, but these engines are lasting a very long time (never heard of one worn out, seen plenty for sale with near 200K miles on them, never needing any walnut blasting or other nonsense). Regardless, I do not prefer turbo engines, however, and if Mazda drops their new i6 engine in the next CX5 platform, I'll upgrade to it in due time.

I recently bought a new to me car. Cost new was $20K. I paid $8K. Car had 45K miles and oil changes every 3K documented.

It took me 2 months to find 'the right deal, and the right car'.

CR-V vs Rav4? Drive both then drive a 4 Runner.
A different league and half the miles per gallon.

Back