Help me choose tires for an '02 Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

I've got an '02 Accord V6 that is going to need new tires this spring. I want all-seasons only, but they need not be that great in the snow - that's what I've got snow tires for. The car is a commuter with a 50/50 split on highway/city. Wear is important, but stability (sidewall) and grip are *more* important. Ride is important too.

So, throw 'em at me - I don't want anything high performance, these are going on 15" steel rims. Rain performance is important.

Put Yokohoma Avid TRZ's on your list of tires to look at. They have worked well for me and have an 80k mileage warranty. There are probably lots of good choices. I was using a more high performance tire on a Turbo Volvo 850 but got tired of them wearing out so fast. These new tires are working just fine, hold tire pressure and are smooth and quiet. CR rated them high and they were on sale when I bought them.

I agree with the Yokohama's. I have an '04 Accord and am looking at the Yokohama Avid H4S and the Bridgestone Potenza G009. I would imagine our vehicles, while different "generation" Accords, would take similar tires.
dunno.gif

Alcibiades (what ever that means) is right about the wet performance. In Southern California where it does not rain much, it's really slippery when it does and you have to be careful if the idiots around you. The TRZ's are a good choice.

Depends on what size exactly you are running. But a pretty good all around tire that is actually on the less expensive side is the BF Goodrich Traction TA's. I got them on my Neon and use them for Snow too. Decent not great for that. Snow Tires would kill 'em I sure but they are wearing really good and they are quieter than my stock GY Integrity and soak up bumps better and out-turn and out-brake them to the point of making the OE GY look like a complete JOKE.

Now you can go up much higher in performance for summer but though I'd give you another avenue of thought. UTOQ is 440 AA A. I really like these.

-yokohama avid H4S/V4s - good deal on a good tire
-Dunlop Sport A2 - really a very value concious tire that works quite well
-Toyo - check out their H-speed rated tires, the are high quality and last!

JMH

What about Continental ContiProContact? They seem to get good reviews. I will probably put those on our '02 Accord V6 next. I currently have the Dunlop Sport A2 Plus. They have good grip when new, but seem to fade away with the miles rather quickly.

OK, I've had a chance to look at all of your suggestions. Despite the numerical advantage in recommendations for the Yokohamas, I'm afraid they didn't seem to review elsewhere.

I'm currently considering (but open to other suggestions) the following:

BG Goodrich Traction T/A
Bridgestone Potenza G009
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

The Michelins are about $90/tire and the others closer to $70 for the size I need. The Continentals didn't *quite* seem to review as well, although the ContiExtreme did better. I pretty much just looked at tirerack.com, although I'll be checking out other places as well.

I'm running 15 inch Falken ZE 329. It is a new all-season tire. It is similar to the Falken 512 but with non-unidirectional tread design. I have about 15,000 miles and they are great. Fantastic in rain.

If you've eliminated the TRZs (great tire, have them on a minivan) then my vote goes for the Michies. I have Pilot Sport 2s on my Bimmer and my sister has a new set of Exalto A/Ss on her S4. I think the Pilot line from Michelin is excellent, I like them quite a bit.

Quote:

I'm running 15 inch Falken ZE 329. It is a new all-season tire. It is similar to the Falken 512 but with non-unidirectional tread design. I have about 15,000 miles and they are great. Fantastic in rain.

Where can you get these new falkens? Kinda hard to find.

OK, I've basically narrowed it down to the following:

BF Goodrich Traction T/A
Bridgestone Potenza G009
Goodyear Tripletread

The goodyears are rather more expensive, but have a UTCG (or whatever) of 720 A B.
The BFG T/A is 400 AA A (a double A in traction?)
And the G009 is 440 A A.

All numbers are approximately close and I probably flubbed them a bit but they are close enough.

I'm leaning towards either the BFG or the Goodyear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back